Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

It was a jokey build.... Although, if you strip SoT off most, SL and VI off the "leader", there's a lot of alpha strike still there, with very little loss (but no dial twiddle).

I'd actually keep SoT on one of them, maybe with test pilot and VI, just for unforeseen blocks. Then go "good" with mods or traits.

The rest is just silly :)

I'm still trying to narrow down how to use one A, let alone a squad of them.

You should try GSL's build. With Wingman you can strip stress before combat. That's very handy. K turning every turn can be a PITA for your opponent's squad. Gives you Defender like moves with a better dial. The added hull gives you X-wing health with a better dial. I'm really starting to enjoy flying these little wedges of plastic.

It was a jokey build.... Although, if you strip SoT off most, SL and VI off the "leader", there's a lot of alpha strike still there, with very little loss (but no dial twiddle).

I'd actually keep SoT on one of them, maybe with test pilot and VI, just for unforeseen blocks. Then go "good" with mods or traits.

The rest is just silly :)

I'm still trying to narrow down how to use one A, let alone a squad of them.

You should try GSL's build. With Wingman you can strip stress before combat. That's very handy. K turning every turn can be a PITA for your opponent's squad. Gives you Defender like moves with a better dial. The added hull gives you X-wing health with a better dial. I'm really starting to enjoy flying these little wedges of plastic.

Sigh, I just typed this reply and posted it, only to be told I wasn't logged in and so the post was erased when I logged in.  That seems like a crappy forum design, but anyways here it is again...

To learn to fly A-wings I'd advise using just 1 first as a part of a larger list.  Here is the build I'd recommend:

Gemmer A-wing Easy Button:

Gemmer Sojan: A-wing Test pilot, Push the limit, Stealth Device, Chadraan Refit (26 points)

Gemmer Sojan is really underappreciated as a pilot.  His Pilot ability is just great, and with this build you can theoretically end up rolling 7 evade dice, at which point most people stop bothering to shoot at him.  He's the hardest A-wing to kill, and thus the best to try in a basic list.  Don't take Proton Rockets on him, at least at first, as they will make you want to fly like an X-wing (ie: straight at your opponent) instead of like an A-wing (ie: Like Roadrunner from Looney Toons).

His ability only triggers if he is within range 1 of at least 1 enemy ship, SO your training mission is to add him to a list and see how long you can keep him within range 1 without bumping or getting yourself killed, which usually follows bumping.  A key tip: You don't have to always fly within range 1 of the SAME enemy ship, use your speed and maneuverability to keep switching which ship you are on top of, it will throw your opponent off balance and keep you alive.

Actually this is a really important tactic for A-wings in general: If you see that your opponent is flying ships that take a while to get around the map, Y-wings and B-wings for example, Deliberately avoid the part of the map they want to fight you in.  Once you make them turn around in most cases their formations and overlapping sectors of fire will be mostly broken up, and you should be able to hunt down different ships 1 at a time.  Another key point to this part of the plan: you don't have to focus on killing 1 ship at a time.  This is counter intuitive given how prominent it is as a tactic in this game, but I've found it to be very effective.  Essentially make an attack run against a single enemy ship with each A-wing having a slightly different angle of attack, then in the next turn 5 straight or 5 K-turn your entire squadron.  You won't have shots on that ship, but your opponent won't have shots on you and most of the commonly taken ships in the game will need 3-5 rounds to get back into a position where they can attack you again.  In the mean time you will be swarming another enemy ship, whittling it down until its friends start to show up, at which point you repeat this process and attack another ship.  You aren't that fragile if you opponent never gets to shoot at you will all his ships in one go, and it often REALLY disorients people.

A neat trick to try is to have your opponent chase you with sluggish ships towards a table corner and then fly out of that table corner fast yourself.  If its a big ship it can need a few turns to get turned around, and for that time you don't have to worry about dealing with that ship at all.

I hope this helps Sambojin!

I've played 2 games recently with this list:

Green Squad - PtL, Outmaneuver, Chardaan refit, Autothrusters (25) x4

I lost both games, but learned some valuable information. My first game was against the following list:

Torkil Mux - ICT

Spice Runner - Autoblaster Turret, Greedo

2 Binayre Pirates - Feedback Array

Black Sun Soldier - Feedback Array

Needless to say, this list was a NIGHTMARE to fly against. He flew it well, and had a lot of area covered by those range 1 bubbles, and my As started dropping pretty quickly. I deployed spread out, and tried my best to get outmaneuver to trigger by approaching from 3 different directions. I think I was a little too eager to engage though, and once I committed to attack it was usually a death sentence for one pilot a turn. Also, I think I boosted too much. My most common action combo was boost and focus, which was pretty good for the first incoming attack, but not against the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th... Lesson learned: Feedback arrays are deadly, and you have to do EVERYTHING in your power to stay out of range 1 until you have at least plinked his shields off. I am going to fly much more conservatively next time.

My second game was against:

Kath - HLC, Predator, Inertial Dampeners

Guri - Adv. Sensors, Outmaneuver, Virago

Binayre 

This match taught me that deployment is critical to the success of the list. Perhaps it was too soon after my previous dismantling, but I was terrified of closing to range 1, and I didn't block as much as I should have. I also closed too early with Green 1 and Green 2, and they were destroyed almost immediately. Kath routinely got 4 hits between predator and focus, and she 1-shot Green 1 (I had boosted and focused, and rolled 3 blanks...) on the 2nd turn, and then proceeded to kill Green 2 with the help of Guri next turn. I think it was still only turn 3 at this point, and I hadn't done a single point of damage yet. I need to learn more about the wedge formation, or other ways to deploy and run through the first few turns so I don't lose a ship with nothing to show for it... Green 3 and Green 4 flew circles around the Z and killed it off first, and put a few points of damage in on Guri and Kath. Kath got greedy late in the game and tried to get a range 1 shot from the back arc, but I had predicted that move and flew the other direction (giving up a few turns of shooting to re-engage later). By this point it was just Green 3 left, against Kath (with shields down) and Guri with 3 health left. Kath flew off of the table and I felt like I finally had a chance! Knowing that I wouldn't be able to outmaneuver Guri with her advanced sensors and amazing dial, I closed in for a final, glorious joust. I focus+evaded, and she focused, and gor a second for ending in range 1. 4 hits and three blank green dice later, and that was that. Lesson learned: DO NOT ENGAGE WITH 1 FIGHTER AT A TIME! I knew this lesson already, which made it that much more frustrating. Also, I needed to try to block more. I was terrified of Guri because she is a beast with that setup, and Kath kept her ID for a long time, but I think that if I would have moved in for a block with F+E, that I could make her use them and then have an easier time in the late game.

In both games I tried to keep asteroids as tight as possible in the middle, and I think it worked to my advantage. I usually had a few of my own moves blocked, but the As dial is so strong that I could pick almost any path. 

Thoughts for improvement:

• Deploy ships closer together, Outmaneuver won't trigger at first, but at least I will get more concentrated fire.
  • Boost less, evade more, always focus.
  • Block as much as possible, UNLESS THEY HAVE FEEDBACK ARRAY
  • Wingman and Hull Upgrade would be a decent trade for Outmaneuver and Autothrusters (there are virtually no PWT players in my area, and very few other turrets) 
  • When in doubt, disengage and fly through the asteroid field. Re-engage on your own terms later.

Tomorrow I take my "Dragonfly" list to the local store tournament - wish me luck!

Jake Farrell (33)

- Push the Limit

- Proton Rockets

- Veteran Instincts

- Autothrusters

- A-Wing Test Pilot 

Green Squadron Pilot (25)

- Push the Limit

- Chardaan Refit

- Outmaneuver

- Autothrusters

- A-Wing Test Pilot

- Push the Limit

- Chardaan Refit

- Outmaneuver

- Autothrusters

- A-Wing Test Pilot

Prototype Pilot (15)

- Chardaan Refit

Tomorrow I take my "Dragonfly" list to the local store tournament - wish me luck!

Jake Farrell (33)

- Push the Limit

- Proton Rockets

- Veteran Instincts

- Autothrusters

- A-Wing Test Pilot 

- Push the Limit

- Chardaan Refit

- Outmaneuver

- Autothrusters

- A-Wing Test Pilot

- Push the Limit

- Chardaan Refit

- Outmaneuver

- Autothrusters

- A-Wing Test Pilot

Prototype Pilot (15)

- Chardaan Refit

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Hello fellow Aces, 

I had a couple of games yesterday on Vassal with my Jake-Tycho-Green Squad, one of those was pretty interesting as i flew against 4 bombers with Homing missiles, the new Tracers and Mun. failsafe.

I won it but i was scared by all those, so my question is:

What's your experience with this new incoming meta? How about bombs, mines and other ordnance?

Another question? Which is the most annoying upgrade to face with our beloved As?

My vote goes to... Gunner (or Luke, or IGB hlc): that double shot often gets rid of my defensive tokens and wrecks my ships, or force me to lt one damage pass on the 1st shot... not a good thing when you are so fragile!

Another question? Which is the most annoying upgrade to face with our beloved As?

My vote goes to... Gunner (or Luke, or IGB hlc): that double shot often gets rid of my defensive tokens and wrecks my ships, or force me to lt one damage pass on the 1st shot... not a good thing when you are so fragile!

Well, yeah, they are designed to counteract ships with high damage mitigation (like your 3 agility A-Wing).

Proton Bombs (and the soon to enter the game Advanced Homing Missiles) can one-shot you, so be particularly wary of them.

Rebel captive is another killer for anyone but Tycho...

Heavy Laser Cannon, especially on a ship with a gunner effect. This will deplete your precious tokens and kill an A-wing fast.

I played in a 20 man summer tournament today, I came in fifth out of 20 players just barely missing the cut off for top four. Overall the list performed great, emperor palpatine on kenkirk is hard to kill but I was the only one to actually kill him in Swiss.

I faced some kind of Panic attack tonight on Vassal with my Jake Tycho Green:

2x Gold Y (ion turret, title, seismic charge and bombs loadout)

2x Blue B (Tactitian)

Despite no aid from the Green guy (who was hit by the 2 bombs, stressed by tactitian while already stressed and died a couple of turn later without shooting a single laser beam) i found pretty easy to avoid enemy arcs and kill both Ys with prockets and the two Bs later on.

I managed to stay at range 3 or out of arc a lot (despite a couple of greens' epic fails), zooming in at R1 for the killing blow when needed.

In another room some guy was running the Green Arrow original list, so Vassal was full of Rebel Wasps tonight :)

CTALS4, years ago I had a book on American WWII aces that detailed some of their exploits. The only story I can remember is of Richard(?) Bong. He was home on a war bond tour and got into some trouble. Did a loop-the-loop on the Golden Gate Bridge and then a knife edge pass down the main drag waving at secretaries!

Bong, Hub Zemke, Pappy Boyington and Butch O'Hare are all that I can recall from that book. Wish I could remember the name of that book. It also gave pretty decent descriptions of various fighter formations and maneuvers.

I think the name of that book was Great American Fighter Pilots of World War 2. I will look up the ISBN next time I can remember to find the book. 

CTALS4, years ago I had a book on American WWII aces that detailed some of their exploits. The only story I can remember is of Richard(?) Bong. He was home on a war bond tour and got into some trouble. Did a loop-the-loop on the Golden Gate Bridge and then a knife edge pass down the main drag waving at secretaries!

Bong, Hub Zemke, Pappy Boyington and Butch O'Hare are all that I can recall from that book. Wish I could remember the name of that book. It also gave pretty decent descriptions of various fighter formations and maneuvers.

I think the name of that book was Great American Fighter Pilots of World War 2. I will look up the ISBN next time I can remember to find the book. 

Sweet thanks I will look that up!

A lot of guys keep stressing how important it is to be able to block. Sunday afternoon I practiced blocking. Two games I flew 7 and 8 Zs. Lost both but what a hoot! The first was against Leebo and 2 Blue's. Killed on Blue, had the other down to 1 hull and ate the shields off of Leebo. The best part of the game was having 4 Zs in range 1 of Leebo for 3 or 4 turns and not giving him a shot! The problem was having 3 of the ships in front of the 2400 and only one shooter trailing. My dice were just this side of horrible but my flying was probably the tightest of any game to date. Just starting to realize how effective blocking can be with low ps ships. The extra hull on 5 of the 7 ships was a necessity against the HLC.

The second game was against 2 Ys and something else. Can't remember the exact build. This one was worse in terms of flying. I split into 2, four ship groups trying to force some action which was a mistake. The high flight was out of position too long to be effective. I got squashed pretty good.

I realize what a pain it is trying to kill a B or Y with 2 attack dice if you don't mass fire on them. It's worse when your dice decide to play "hide the hits". I don't know how many times I had a TL only to roll blanks and eyeballs or having a focus and roll all blanks. It happened enough to be noticeable.

Ended the night with 4 or 5 rounds of one-on-one flying naked Corrans. It was a good night even if I was lacking in the win column. I think I'm finally getting the hang of swarm flying. Turning 7 or 8 ships without it turning into a Keystone Kop routine was gratifying. It also looked really pretty!

Not so much a swarm, and definitely not a Green Arrow list, but my "Stay-on-Target" list uses this sort of thing all the time. Low PS blocking is amazing with As, even just one of them. And when you do get a chance to hit, the Bs in the list hit hard and reliably.

Neither SoT or SL for the A in my list is really necessary, but they're wonderful when you do need them.

Full credit where credit is due, I've been flying a four A-wing list for quite a while after seeing it on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19125075#19125075

Jake Farrell + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Calculation + Push the Limit (28)
Gemmer Sojan + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Push the Limit (25)
Green Squadron + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Calculation + Push the Limit (23)
Green Squadron + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Calculation + Push the Limit (23)
99 pts

This list hits much harder, but isn't as enduring or flexible as Green Squad Leader's original list. It takes *a lot* of practice to fly A-wings well, as speed is their key. Dodging arcs and deliviering the death of 1000 cuts is not for the faint of heart or the unpracticed. My first time with the list, I got absolutely munched. But with pullups, situps, plenty of juice, and daily practice, I'm much better and my friends groan whenever they see my 4 A-wings appear on the table.

Edited by CptShrike

I was very surprised at how effective As can be. I didn't think they would be as effective as they are. You need to up your game to keep them alive but out of arc or ar R3 they do amazing well.

The one thing I'm finding out is some of my moves are predictable. Now I've begun to second guess myself when in a dogfight. I wish I could record my games to analyze them post combat. In the game against Leebo and the Bs I screwed up a move that would've put Leebo at R1 of 4 Zs with 3 being able to shoot. The odd man out was the blocker. I talked myself out of the move because I thought it was too obvious. Nine dice at R1 might've been able to take Leebo out. He was down to 6 or 7 hp. Oh well, that's part of the game.

I was very surprised at how effective As can be. I didn't think they would be as effective as they are. You need to up your game to keep them alive but out of arc or ar R3 they do amazing well.

The one thing I'm finding out is some of my moves are predictable. Now I've begun to second guess myself when in a dogfight. I wish I could record my games to analyze them post combat. In the game against Leebo and the Bs I screwed up a move that would've put Leebo at R1 of 4 Zs with 3 being able to shoot. The odd man out was the blocker. I talked myself out of the move because I thought it was too obvious. Nine dice at R1 might've been able to take Leebo out. He was down to 6 or 7 hp. Oh well, that's part of the game.

The other thing that I really stress when I tell other people about playing is "go with your gut". It's amazing how often your subconscious picks up on things that you don't consciously realise. But as they say in our corner of the galaxy, "May the Force be with you!" :)

I played last night with Psycho Tycho, Procket Jake, and Gemmer Sojan with Stealth Device. I was against a kind of strange classic Soontir, naked Rexlar Brath build. I won the game, only losing Gemmer in the next to last round. Jake's prockets one-shot an Interceptor. It was a lot of fun flying the little guys around. I definitely need more practice with Tycho because of all his post-movement manuever possibilities.

Last night I chaned things up. Flew 3 interceptors. First game Soontir won by killing off Luke, Red Squadron Pilot and a Z by himself. Lost a RGP pilot when my opponent did an unexpected move with his X-wings. Jax burned due to bad flying and dropping him on a rock. Had I cleared, I would have been behind or out of arc of 3 Xs. Didn't happen.

Second game was an unmitigated disaster! Started off with the RGP bumping. He bumped by 1/2 the thickness of a template. He went down that turn. I never recovered after that. Opponent never lost a ship.

I want my As back! I miss Psycho.

Just finished an awesome game on vassal vs Biggs (shied upgrade, R2-D2), Dutch (TLT, title), Horton (TLT, title, R5p9) against a very cool guy. 

I won 100-0 losing 5 shields all around, always playing safe with a lot of evades actions. He chased Jake who act as bait, while the other 2 As softened their target

I killed Dutch first, after procketing him, chasing him with my higher ps Tycho.

Then my opponent regrouped very well, so i could only shot Biggs who could regained a shied every turn with green moves... until he hit a rock and got wasted by a 5 hits from Jake's Prockets from the front and Tycho's F+Tl from behind.

Then it was Horton, (IPM from Green, then KillBox as i knew when he'd be) but the game was obviously already over at that time.

There was also some people watching, so I hope I spread A-religion a bit :D

Anyway, those TLT are pretty scary: not much damage output, but when you have 4 hit points even 1 can be scary. I tried to stay out of arcand then  rushing for range 1, but Biggs was always there menacing my ships.

Well played, Jedi-Chewy!

Thanks for the game! 

Hi, new to the board and only two months to the game. I am currently building my fleet, concentrating on Rebel and Imperial squads. Using a squad builder app on my tablet I have been building squads and a four green squadron A wing list was one of my first. It has evolved into this now:

Green 1 A wing test pilot, veteran instincts, expert handling, autothrusters, proton rockets

Green 2 identical to 1

Green 3 A wing test pilot, wingman, expert handling, autothrusters, chardaan refit

Green 4 identical to 3

Now I am rethinking using the autothrusters after reading this thread. The concept was to fly in a swarm formation for initial attack then break into pairs 1-3 and 2-4. Maneuver to allow 1 and 2 to fire their proton rockets before any ship losses and then close dogfight with blocking using expert handling and wingman to remove stress. It now is aparent to me that autothrusters is a waste if I am planning to get in close and use small maneuvers to block opponents.

I haven't run the list as yet. I am two A wings short and a few upgrades as well. Great thread with lots of good ideas for A wing lists. Any comments appreciated.

What do you A pilots think of this new TLT mayhem?

Those filthy turrets can ruin an A game chewing through our precious tokens, so I found that the tactict that works better for me is slapping Autothrusters on my ships, try to soften them at range 3 and then close in range one to Procket them with my higher Ps aces.

That's why I'm thinking of swapping Stealth device for AT on my Jake, but I still have to face a real TLT spamming list.

Unfortunately Psycho Tycho classic build can't take AT so I must rely on his unpredictable moves to get R1 asap and hopefully kill my opponent or be sure to keep him close.

What's your opinion? What your experience?