Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

I just played with THE "green arrow" list against a Tie swarm led by Vader.

I am happy to report that I won with 1 A-Wing remaining!

I must admit that just reading about the Green Arrow list does not do it justice. Now that I have flown it I can really understand the power and fun of the build.

Wingman really is a fantastic card! I was really able to capitalize on the A-Wing's maneuver dial with the stress being cleared every round.

It seems that I am an A-Wing "Swarm" kind of guy, I really have fun playing the 5 Prototype Pilots each with Proton Rocket Squadron too! 

Hey everyone,

I ran the green arrow list (4 X GSP + PTL + Hull upgr + Awing test pilot + refit + wingman) three times against the same list: Decivador + Omega Leader (Juke, Comm relay) + the Inquisitor (Tie v1, Autothrusters, PTL).

and I had some great fun playing the A's!

In the first game I finished the decimator in the third round (2 direct hits... After that my dice were hot and his green dice were really really disappointing, so the inquisitor and omega leader bit the dust rather quickly. 1-0

The second game was disastrous for the a-wings. The match was over in half an hour: I foolishly kept K-turning, thinking that I could outmaneuver the Inq and Omega leader... Not by a long shot.

So by then it was 1-1.

Third game was a true marathon. It lasted for about 2 and a half hours(!).

The Decivador died soon, leaving my 4 A's on the board with 2-3 hull each (one with 1 shield as well) . 
But Omega leader is a bastard, and the Inq could almost alway manoever out of arc of one or two a's...

One by one my A's exploded into oblivion. This went on for almost 2 hours. Omega leader had 1 hull left, the inquisitor as well.

It was a very very tight game and we both flew really well.

I kept forgetting wingman though...

1-2 :(

My opponent noted that stealth devise could be an interesting alternative for the hull upgrade.

Since I focus-evaded almost every turn, this could have saved me more than 1-2 damage per ship...

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Brupl

Green Squad Pilot - 19

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Rage - 1

Wired - 1

Green Squad Pilot - 19

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Rage - 1

Wired - 1

Green Squad Pilot - 19

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Rage - 1

Wired - 1

Green Squad Pilot - 19

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Rage - 1

Wired - 1

Rookie Pilot - 23

Crackshot - 1

R2-D6 - 1

Integrated Astromech - 0

(99 Points)

Or you could try an even more expensive alternative but both are going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Green Squad Pilot - 20

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Crackshot - 1

Adaptability - 0

Auto Thrusters - 2

Green Squad Pilot - 20

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Crackshot - 1

Adaptability - 0

Auto Thrusters - 2

Green Squad Pilot - 20

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Crackshot - 1

Adaptability - 0

Auto Thrusters - 2

Green Squad Pilot - 20

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Crackshot - 1

Adaptability - 0

Auto Thrusters - 2

Green Squad Pilot - 20

Test Pilot - 0

Refit - -2

Crackshot - 1

Adaptability - 0

Auto Thrusters - 2

(100 Points)

So I just played a very interesting game as a part of the Vassal League against Major Juggler.  I took my standard Green Arrow list, he took a variation of the cool new "Chihuahua" A-wing crackswarm.  I managed to pull it out in the end winning 82 - 25, this game was super close.  He used 2 GSPs with prockets and used adaptability to up their PS to 4.

I set up the rocks in a triangle pointed towards him and split my deployment (He gave me the initiative), he split his in response.  I block jousted the smaller set of his A's, controlling ranges so he couldn't fire his prockets, and fled into the rocks with the other half of my squad.  This game then turned into a bump city cluster in the center of the asteroid fields with all 9 A-wings in the scrum.  He eventually got one procket off, but my action economy really helped out and mitigated his damage output.  He put 14 dice into one of my A'wings one round but lacked actions to help convert them save on the Procket, I only lost a shield from all of that.

Sadly vassal screwed up with the logfile.  I love that large A-wing swarms are making a comeback, they've already won 2 regionals!  The mirror match is rough, and if he had been able to concentrate all 5 crackshots vs one of my ships it would have been a lot rougher.

Edited by Green Squad Leader

So I just played a very interesting game as a part of the Vassal League against Major Juggler.  I took my standard Green Arrow list, he took a variation of the cool new "Chihuahua" A-wing crackswarm.  I managed to pull it out in the end winning 82 - 25, this game was super close.  He used 2 GSPs with prockets and used adaptability to up their PS to 4.

I set up the rocks in a triangle pointed towards him and split my deployment (He gave me the initiative), he split his in response.  I block jousted the smaller set of his A's, controlling ranges so he couldn't fire his prockets, and fled into the rocks with the other half of my squad.  This game then turned into a bump city cluster in the center of the asteroid fields with all 9 A-wings in the scrum.  He eventually got one procket off, but my action economy really helped out and mitigated his damage output.  He put 14 dice into one of my A'wings one round but lacked actions to help convert them save on the Procket, I only lost a shield from all of that.

Sadly vassal screwed up with the logfile.  I love that large A-wing swarms are making a comeback, they've already won 2 regionals!  The mirror match is rough, and if he had been able to concentrate all 5 crackshots vs one of my ships it would have been a lot rougher.

Any chance you could play again and share the log file? ;)

Hallo A-aces,

i've been trying to get this list together:

5x GSP+adaptability+title+crackshot+autothrusters

onely flew it twice so far, 1 loss against 3 jumpmasters and 1 modwin against howlcrackswarm+soontir.

I like this list, will also try the original green arrow.

and i've been trying to get them to fly in a pinwheel, and going from pinwheel tot line and back:

comments?

post-241978-0-88742300-1462900579_thumb.jpg

5 forward should be 4

Edited by Erik3E

So I just played in the Fresno CA Regionals this past weekend (7May16) and came 1-5 :(.

Played

5x GSP

Test Pilot

Refit

Crackshot

Adaptability

Autothruster

First game was a Dash with HLC and Kenan, with the PS 3 Ghost with... I don't remember, wasn't really very big concern.  I stayed out at range 3 most of the game and came out with a win in 6 turns, 100 to 60.

Second game was against a Palp Omicron pilot, Whisper and Omega Leader.  My opponent shot his whole list, I declared whisper as my target (at range 2) and then he realized he never recloaked whisper and asked if he could take the action. Uh... no. Whisper down, turn 2!!! Yay me :D !  But then it went down hill.  Shuttle bumped me all over the place, I kept losing actions trying to flying out of there and omega leader just tore them apart.  Loss. :o

Third, crack swarm. Howl, Scourge and 4x black squadron.  He knew what he was doing!  I flew straight at him protected by a few rocks along the way and was able to break up his tight formation, killed scourge (howl wasn't an opportunity, he was next!)  Well he used the bumping to his advantage... crap  :unsure: .  He was really good at moving his arcs around to get shots in at range 1-2.  It was BAD.  Scourge was my only kill /cry.

Forth game was Regen Poe, 2x prototype pilots, Jake ferral.  I jousted to kill Poe early!  And well, he flew out of the first pass with 2 hull remaining, and I just couldn't get enough damage on him to kill him and Jake mopped up!  I was only able to kill his blockers.

Fifth, Triple jump masters with ordnance.  This was interesting, the rocks were set up mostly on one side and he deployed on the open side, so I setup in the opposite corner.  I flew straight at his side, and he flew straight at mine, forced his big guys into the rocks :)  as I turned and jousted him through the rocks.  Well I never really blocked and it cost me dearly :unsure: .  I killed his Bobafetted ship, but he just slaughtered me!  :huh:

Sixth, Bro bots (B and D).  Lessons learned (and no way of making a cut) so I was going to try some things that I observed.  I went straight for a joust and block!  My whole list moved first and shot second.  Well, Inertial dampeners... killed two of my guys.  The other three spent the game killing one and avoiding the other for a bit getting some pop shots and damage in.  But eventually he was able to get them and it was a loss.  *His bot had 2 hull remaining, so I was kinda proud of that.

Important take away's for me:

Crack shot Crack Shot Crack Shot.  DO it early on!  No need to save it.  Damage is damage and you never know when the dice will betray you and get a ship killed.

Don't square deploy!  This will guarantee you to bump yourself at some point and lose actions and by extension firepower.

Bump them! Pick your target and 'Stay on the Leader'.  Don't worry about bumping someone else too much, but bump your target, maybe someone else if the opportunity arises and focus fire.

This was my third run with this, I'm thinking about going to a 4 a-wing list with Jake and Prockets for the Mountain View regionals in June.  I've got 6 days of gaming, approx 18 games to practice from (excluding Vassal) before then.

Edited by Stovrose38

Hi,

Great list, but I have one question after playing with it 3 times in a row:

Since you focus evade most of the time, wouldn't it be better for the A-wings to have stealth device instead of hull upgrade?
Aren't the odds of survivability more in your favour if you have 4 evade dice, a focus and an evade token (until one attack hits).
In the end, a hull upgrade is exactly the same as one extra evade token per A-wing in the entire game, no?

What do you think?

Regards

Hello everyone this is my first post on the forums, greetings to all my fellow lovers of this excellent game of X-wing.

Here is a list I've been running recently which I am calling "Green Arrow".  This list is for anyone who both enjoys winning through outmaneuvering their opponent and who wants a challenge.  So far I'm 7 and 2 with it, mostly on Vassal:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/292005/green-arrow

As you may have guessed from my username I am a big fan of A-wings, in fact I've nearly exclusively flown them to every tournament I've played in over the last year.  They sheer speed and maneuverability of the air-frame is unrivaled (Big ship boost cheese mechanic aside) and while they can be very dice dependent they have a lot of tricks up their sleeves played right.

The list has 4 identical Green Squadron pilots with Push the limit, Wingman, Chadraan, A-wing Test pilot, and Hull Upgrade.  They price in at 25 points each, so you are at an even 100 but that's ok as you will almost NEVER care about initiative.  Seriously few players take PS 3 pilots.

The main cool thing this list lets you do is use wingman and push the limit nearly every turn on every ship.  As long as you fly in formation you will reliably double action and effectively receive 0 stress.  You can K-turn as a group and have 0 stress.  And thanks to the A-wing's insane 50% green manuever dial you can effectively laugh at Rebel Captive and Panic Attack stress generating builds.

The "Arrow" part of the name comes from my favored deployment style, the Arrowhead or Wedge formation.  Here is what it looks like:

Wedge Heavy Left (Right Corner Deployment)

attachicon.gifWedge Heavy Left.JPG

Arrowhead (Center Deployment)

attachicon.gifArrow.JPG

Wedge Heavy Right (Left Corner Deployment)

attachicon.gifWedge Heavy Right.JPG

This formation allows you to reliably fly in formation close enough to use Wingman and so that you can avoid bumping yourself very easily.  You can also change formation from the wedge or arrowhead into a line formation very easily.  Its important that you NOT try to fly a standard box formation as you often see with tie fighters, the A-wing's dial does not work well flown that way, its too fast and if one ship bumps in that formation you lose all your actions for a turn which you absolutely MUST NOT DO with this build.

The last trick of this list is Hull Upgrades.  While Autothrusters is a great modification it is most well suited for lists with 1-3 A-wings all flying seperate from each other and trying to dodge arcs.  With Green Arrow though you are going to fly straight down your opponent's throat early game, before splitting up and arc dodging, so the extra hull point helps a lot.  You no longer have to worry about getting killed off by lucky Direct Hits or Minor Explosions as much either.  Plus having 20 hit points is just about always going to be better than 16.

Tactics wise this list is meant to be flown straight at your opponent's list while focusing and evading nearly every turn.  Your goal is to try to use your speed to get into range 3 on turn 1 of whatever your opponent's largest and most expensive ship is and so as much damage to it as you can in the initial pass.  You can largely guarantee 2 rounds of shooting at it by pushing 1 (ie: move 1 ship straight 4 and the rest straight 2) ship slightly ahead of the rest to block the large ship, the wedge and arrowhead formations have the added benefit of conveniently blocking the majority of the places a large ship can move too to fly past you when you do this.  Once they are "in the trap" you will usually 5 K-turn for your next move, now conveniently being behind them and having more shots.  All while clearing your stress through wingman and green moves.

Most players fall into the trap thinking "those are just A-wings, I can tank their damage easy) and will fly straight at you.  Most games though it works out that you throw 8 red dice at the big ship the 1st turn at range 3, 9 dice at it the second turn at range 1, and 8-10 dice at it after the K-turn on turn three.  That is usually about 20 dice, which will reliably kill many of the big ships in the game.

From that point you break off into pairs and hunt down your opponent.

This list does have a harder time vs other arc dodger lists, as your low PS require you to anticipate where your opponent will move, but that is where the skill comes in.

Definitely not a list for the timid or for those who don't like to "fly hard", but it works great done right.  If you give it a try let me know how you do with it!

I will be honest, I am a recent convert myself but I am having a ton of fun with 3 chihuahuas and a lothal with AB FCS hera and chopper for an even hundred.

Anybody else tried out this list that I will be calling "GAAA!"? 

juke vs wired vs crackshot on the A Wing

whats your opinions?

My goto has been crackshot personally.

Juke - very effective when paired with Jake or Tycho. But I find on the GSP's your usually burning your evade token to live before you get to use it to pump up your attack with Juke. Jake with PTL/Juke or PTL/VI has become a constant internal struggle for me...

Wired - I have been using this on the GSP's, and now with Rage out I find that a better option for Tycho than Wired was. I'm unsure if I'll be including this one in the future as I have found its effectiveness lack luster compared to wingman, crackshot, or juke.

Crackshot - obviously highly effective considering it's popularity. It can be a tide turner for sure, especially with only 2 natural attack die on the A-Wings. 

What other EPT's do you enjoy in the A wings?

Flew 3 Green Squadron Crackshot A wings with Corran Horn today. Went 2 and 4 but I enjoyed the squad.

Corran Horn E Wing 39

VI, FCS, R4-D6

3 x Gr Sq A Wings 3x20

AWTP, CR, AT, Adaptability, Crackshot

Hey everyone sorry I've been away from this post for so long.  There are a lot of good questions I'll try and answer/give my opinion on here in a sec, but first I have something cool to announce.

Several months back I was on the Back To Dials Podcast as their inaugural "Fan List Head to Head" opponent.  I of course flew my Green Arrow list, the game was played on vassal and broadcasted 2 months ago with commentary by the Back to Dials cast.  Here's the link for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxyLf0VAkM8

Super close match by the way, lots of fun.

But that actually isn't the cool announcement...

After talking with the Back to Dials guys a bunch about how I approach flying and how the Finger Four formation works I promised to type up a quick Finger Four tutorial demonstrating some of the ways it can be used.  Fast forwards about 4 months and the guide is finally done.  The article should get posted on their website soon once they've gotten it back up and running again.  All told the article clocks in at 28 pages without pictures, but that's because I tried to make it a comprehensive guide to this rather uniquely potent formation.  There are 8 opening strategies based on what your opponent is flying and how he deploys which transition to over 30 sub-strategies based upon how he moves over the first 4 or 5 rounds.  At the end I also explain how to adapt the Finger Four into the Finger Five if you are running a 5 A-wing Swarm instead of a 4 ship one.

As their website is down for a bit I've decided to post a link to the current Rough Draft of the article here to see what you guys think of it and ask for some feedback.  Here's the link: https://www.icloud.com/pages/000vI7ggar4QepySpcpZI5Z4Q#RD_2

I'd also like to make a request to anyone here who wants to help me finish the guide with some vassal screenshots.  I'm currently off doing Army training for the next two weeks and I don't have a computer with Vassal to work on the screenshots.  So if anyone wants to take it upon themselves to send me screenshots of the Openings and Transitions in action it would be a huge help.  Anyone who helps out will get a shout out in the finished article when its published.

So yeah, let me know what you think of the guide.  This thing was longer than my final papers for grad school this semester...

As far as questions and comments on posts other people have made recently here are some thoughts.

First its awesome that people are flying A-wings so much more now than they used to, keep it up and post how it goes! 

A few people have been asking about whether or not stealth device is better than Hull Upgrade.  My personal experience is that no, the extra defense die does not pay off enough to be as reliable as Hull Upgrade.  That said I conducted those tests LAST summer well before the current Alpha Strike meta, so its possible that in the world of Jumpmasters the extra die might be better than it used to be.

As far as the Jumpmaster/Ghost/Palp Aces meta goes I've been finding it to be fine actually.  Palp Aces is a challenge to face, but fly well and you can reliably take it down.  All it really takes is one or two bumps and Aces die pretty fast.  Jumpmasters are a challenge to take down, but the trick I've found is to force them to turn into the table.  If you can delay the initial engagement and force your opponent's formation to be sub-optimal then its beatable.  That said a Wolfpack is a really tough list to fight and you'll lose if you make any mistakes.  Ghosts are really simple to take down, it just takes time to do it.  All you need to do is make them turn and they behave like beached whales.

Last I just want to say holy crap, this thread has hit 23,303 views!  That's just ridiculous, its been on this forum for nearly a full year and its STILL going!

As their website is down for a bit I've decided to post a link to the current Rough Draft of the article here to see what you guys think of it and ask for some feedback.  Here's the link: https://www.icloud.com/pages/000vI7ggar4QepySpcpZI5Z4Q#RD_2

I've only been able to whip through it, but it looks as an insane guide. If I have a chance to get some free time I'll try to take those pictures you ask for (or at least part of them :P).

I will be honest, I am a recent convert myself but I am having a ton of fun with 3 chihuahuas and a lothal with AB FCS hera and chopper for an even hundred.

Anybody else tried out this list that I will be calling "GAAA!"? 

I just played a similar list and it performed great.

I flew:

Eaden Vrill + Autoblaster Cannon + Zeb crew + APL

3x Chihuahuas

Vrill acts as blockers for Awings (and ten HP to chew through), and they can get in range 1 and unload cracks. Blocking someone in arc, lets Eaden get unblockable damage with autoblaster cannon, great for aces and high agi ships. PTL shenanigans, Kturns, or Overclocked R4, etc. lets Vrill have a 3 PWT (4 die at range 1).

I went up against Manaroo, Brobot B, and Kaato all with mindlink. Flew Vrill up front with Awings behind, banked into Brobot head on. First round of action brobot did 2dmg to Vrill, Awings out of range. Manroo fired a plasma and got the rest of the shields. I then positioned all my Awings to block ANY move of Brobot. Vrill got the block (out of arc) but the brobot landed on an asteroid and took a dmg. All my Awings were range 1 of Brobot. He did not survive that round. 9 dice, 7 dmg, only had to use one crack. Bye bye brobot. Manaroo and Kaato finished off Vrill. Manaroo now out of plasmas. From then on Manaroo didnt do much, Awings blocked him or were out of arc and autothrusters did their job. Kaato got destroyed using my last crack. Game time ended. Manaroo down to 4 hull left, two Awings still full hp, one had 1 hull left.

It was my first game flying the Chihuahuas, Im testing multiple lists with my Vrill/Fringer autoblaster cannon build, and I must say, they were quite impressive. Will be testing this list out a few more times, see what comes of it.

The Finger Four Tutorial is finally FINISHED!!!

Its been seriously edited from the rough draft, I reworked a bunch of the transitions to work better with ships that aren't running Wingman/PTL so stress isn't so much of an issue.  I also threw some out and replaced them with new ones as the rough draft was based on my old playbook from 6 months ago.

Overall the article clocks in at 27 pages and has a 6,368 word count.  I did my best to make it the most comprehensive and detailed guide to flying this formation as possible while also making it easy to read and use.  It will be posted on the Back to Dials website within the next few days!

Amazing stuff! As a player trying to get back into the game, I am very tempted to pick up a mitt full of A-wings and going for it. Now to just get over that initial purchase price of that 5 A-wing crack swarm list..yeesh!