Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

That is great that A Wings are not only present but also winning!

But are we stuck with GSPs for any chance at winning games?

Has anyone had any success with a named A Wing pilot List?

Tycho Celchu + A-Wing Test Pilot + Proton Rockets + Push the Limit + Autothrusters + Veteran Instincts
Tala Squadron Pilot
Tala Squadron Pilot
Tala Squadron Pilot
Tala Squadron Pilot
Tala Squadron Pilot

This list one a store championship in my local area a month ago.

Not exactly an all A wing list...

I've been flying what I call "Warboys."

5x green squadron a-wings with crack shot, chardaan refit, and auto thrusters. It's pretty good.

Some of the advantages of warboys in a tournament setting is that it doesn't care much about many of the common mechanics and cards players typically try to abuse, I.e. Stress and TLTs. It can block aces or crack shot them. Most notably it is surprisingly tanky and doesn't get tabled.

LordVogl - I ran this list last weekend at a store championship and took 2nd place out of 15 players in 4 rounds. For the build, the only difference was adding Adaptability (+1) to give me a small edge over other swarms and builds of three large-base ships. Here's some observations based upon how I fly A-Wings:

- Obstacle set-up was actually pretty critical - helped identify lanes for both fire and maneuver; e.g., setting up an arrow pointed towards your end was very effective

- Speed (surprise) was key - engage early before the opponent has time to set up a pincer move or mass their firepower on you

- Keep in formation for as long as possible - I used a modified "box" formation to keep the A-Wings together with proper spacing to make turns easier

- Isolate a single ship, as much as possible, and focus your fire - I was able to take out a single Jumpmaster almost every turn (there were many in play that day...)

- Be patient with Crackshot - wait for the right moment when you do have a focused attack opportunity - its very hard for a single ship to be that lucky against even the minimal 10 dice attack

- Do your Alpha strike and then bug-out to a position that will give you another attack run on a single ship - don't push your luck on a formation of 2 or more other ships

- Autothrusters were critical - I'm never going to leave the hangar without them - saved my bacon

- Maneuver, maneuver, maneuver - use the obstacles to your advantage - hide around them, speed around them, make the opponent chase you through those fields and then tell them the odds of survival

- Be patient - wait for the right moment even if that means speeding away at 5, boosting, and then making a tight turn to get everyone back into action at the same time and place

- Know your opponents ship and their possible moves - anticipate, block, set up kill boxes, etc.

I've been playing A-Wings for a long time now and it felt good to put a little sting in some big ships, stress builds, TLTs, and even T-70s.

Sounds like you represented the A Wings very well!

AND had fun doing it :)

I love hearing about how well the A's are doing when built and played properly.

The A Wing has been underestimated for too long.

No more shall this be the case!!!

I know that everything is situational, but am I hearing that it's feasible to NOT take auto thrusters on a competitive build?!!!

I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if a thousand souls have all called out at once!!! :P

I know that everything is situational, but am I hearing that it's feasible to NOT take auto thrusters on a competitive build?!!!

I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if a thousand souls have all called out at once!!! :P

I still think it's strongly meta dependent. Our area has several Palp + Aces players, a couple swarm players, and now several triple scout players.

For the first two, Hull Upgrade is FAR superior, and AT may never actually trigger. For the latter, it's still useful, though AT would be better statistically.

So an upgrade that is ALWAYS effective, or one that has great match-ups?

It's a bit different for Interceptors, because they're at least throwing three dice still at range 3. A-Wings want to be up close and personal always.

Edited by ArbitraryNerd

I recently played a game with the following:

Jake w/ VI, PTL, Refit and AT's

3 x GSP w/ PTL, Juke, Refit and AT's

It was great fun and Juke really worked well. Unlike with the Tie/FO the ability to focus and evade makes Juke really dangerous and really helps to get the damage through. Was up against Miranda and a Gold squadron with TLT's and Ten Numb. The presence of the TLT's made the AT's essential and the damage output of the A-wings was remarkably good. 3 attacking Ten Numb in the first round of shooting took out all of his shields! Admittedly there was some pretty good rolls involved there.

Obviously Jake would really benefit from Prockets but what is the best way to find the points for them:

1. Drop the AT's on the GSP's

2. Drop Juke on the GSP's

3. Drop one of the GSP's for a Prototype 

Would be interested to hear what you guys think. I'm leaning towards option 1. It is great to see how competitive the a-wing can still be. In my most recent tourney I used Poe with 2 x GSP and a Proto and Poe was the weakest link with the GSP's really holding their own!

Obviously Jake would really benefit from Prockets but what is the best way to find the points for them:

Drop Juke for Wired on all 3 GSP's. Presto, Procket points!

Wouldn't work unfortunately as I need to find myself 5 points because I also lose the refit as well having to find the 3 points for the Prockets. Otherwise would be a good call

Drop Juke for Wired on all 3 GSP's. Presto, Procket points!

Wouldn't work unfortunately as I need to find myself 5 points because I also lose the refit as well having to find the 3 points for the Prockets. Otherwise would be a good call

How about:

Green Squadron Pilot (19)

Juke (2)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Juke (2)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Juke (2)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Tycho Celchu (26)

Rage (1)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Adaptability (0)

Experimental Interface (3)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I've had some luck with this version, and set a new PB for number of stress tokens on tycho to 38

4 a wings (100)

Tycho Celchu (31) - A-Wing

Rage (1), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Experimental Interface (3), Push The Limit (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (23) - A-Wing

Crack Shot (1), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

Crack Shot (1), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

The autothrusters have been handy on the initial engagements and because of a fair few turrets floating around my meta and crack shot has helped push through some vital damage when needed.

So my fellow a-wing fans. With these triple jump masters floating around how do we think we'll fare.

I think if the red dice favour us we can survive the alpha strikes better than ships with 1 or 2 agility with at least 3 defence dice and hopefully focus, evade and AT's.

I refuse to believe they'll become uncompetitive

Autothrusters have become essential modifications over hull upgrade again.

Ugh!

Is any one else getting bored/frustrated of having to include auto thrusters in every list?

I hope XWing is not becoming a one trick pony, and loosing the ability to have diversity in its builds and lists that drew me to the game initially.

I'm  HUGE fan of A-wings, but have yet to win a game with the green arrow.  Any good links for flight school?

A video or tutorial article on the basic, intermediate, and advanced use of A Wings would be awesome! 

I am sure there is more than enough experience and knowledge on this forum to create such a thing.

Hello fellow A-wing lovers 

Have you seen that :

http://dockingbay416.com/chasing-a-plaque-fueled-by-crack/

Five greens+PTL+thruster+cracks   and they go for victory

Awesome read! Woo Hoo!!! A Wings of the win!!!

Edited by Red 7

I just played the 5 Prototype Pilots with Prockets and had a BLAST! (Literally!!!  :P )

I took out the below list, and only lost 1 A-Wing!!!:

Omega Leader, Juke, Comm relay

Captain Yorr and Emp Palpatine

Whisper, Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device, Agent Kallus

I ran VI Jake with 3 Juke and PTL GSP's at a tournament on Saturday and went away with 3 wins and 2 defeats which may not sound great but first time over 5 games i've won more than i've lost (and the first time with all a-wings) and left me 12 out of 24.

Funnily enough it felt like Jake was the weak link but his repositioning was useful at times. Juke a-wings do a lot more damage than standard though (when they're pointing in the right direction).