Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

Love this thread. It has inspired me to play A's at my SC this Sunday. I am relatively new to flying them and only own three at the moment. I have to choose between these two lists:

Which would you choose? Or do you have something better in mind?

So intuitively expert handling seems like a good choice for Tycho, but in practice it isn't. Jake's awesome pilot ability is awesome as he gets 3 actions. Tycho only gets 2 with PTL, with the added stipulation that he has to use expert handling FIRST or not at all as PTL only works on action bar actions not upgrade card actions. You can use Exipramental Interface to fix this but you are then spending 5 points to clone Jake Farrel with a pilot who is more expensive base.

If this sounds like a terrible idea that's because it is.

There are two ways to run Tycho at the moment. Budget Tycho works well with PTL and Wired, he's basically a prockets delivery system.

For an extra 3 points (assuming you have autothrusters) though you can do Psycho Tycho, which I would STRONGLY recommend. The combination of boost, daredevil, PTL, and EI makes Tycho so mobile and maneuverable that you can effectively teleport around the table to wherever you want him to go facing whatever direction you want him to face. You can also bump deliberately with daredevil to rob shots for your opponent. The only downside is he's expensive and has only 4 HP.

Here's what I would recommend for you to try.

List 1:

AAA Aces (100)

"Psycho" Tycho Celchu (40) - A-Wing

Daredevil (3), Homing Missiles (5), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Experimental Interface (3), Push The Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (34) - A-Wing

Juke (2), Proton Rockets (3), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

Gemmer Sojan (26) - A-Wing

Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Hull Upgrade (3), Push The Limit (3)

List 2:

Procket Buddies (100)

Tycho Celchu (38) - A-Wing

Daredevil (3), Proton Rockets (3), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Experimental Interface (3), Push The Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (32) - A-Wing

Proton Rockets (3), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

Gemmer Sojan (30) - A-Wing

Ion Pulse Missiles (3), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

List 2 is essentially what I took to regionals last year. It does well vs a lot on things, the key is you MUST kill something early. Gemmer stuns an enemy so you know where it will be and the other two Procket the **** out of it.

List 1 is a new variation. The homing missiles are there to help take something down early.

Both lists are a lot of fun and high risk high reward. The biggest threat you have will be against lots of HLC spam (brobots) as your ships only live long enough to do there thing if they aren't being shot every turn. That said it has the added advantage of being unusual and that your opponent will have a harder time guessing where you will go as each A-wing moves a bit differently.

I'm excited for the new Rage EPT to make "Angry Tycho"

Angry Tycho (36)

"Angry" Tycho Celchu (36) - A-Wing

Rage (1), Proton Rockets (3), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Experimental Interface (3), Push The Limit (3)

Rage will be amazing as there is NEVER a reason not to use it for him. The downside of daredevil Tycho (Aside from being so over costed) is that unless you plan your moves around using it you won't use it every round. Every time you don't you have 6 points of upgrades just sitting.

With Rage you get a focus AND an effective TL, so 2 actions for the cost of one, and you can choose to focus and evade after it! So at the low low price of 4 stress (love it) you get 4 ACTIONS! And you have the same token combo as super Fel!

Plus he's a bit cheaper at 36 points.

I'm going to try flying him a bit again once wave 8 is out.

Edited by Green Squad Leader

I had a lot of fun flying my Arrow's last night. 

started with

Green Sq. / Crackshot / Juke / Refit / Hull / Title x4

Lack of actions was a real problem, but my opponent was getting really frustrated with the Juke. almost took down his IG but the TLT's mopped me up. 

I then swapped out crackshot for PTL and ran that for 3 runs and had a LOT of fun. but my formation got bombed. :(

Im just starting to play with A Wings again and I've toyed around with a little bit different setup to the original Green Arrow list. I've been trying

24pt GSP x2 : PTL, Calculation, Test Pilot, Refit, Hull

26pt GSP x2 : PTL, Outmaneuver, Test Pilot, Refit, Hull

Not sure how to fly them in pairs though. Either keeping the outmaneuver set together or keep a calculation and outmaneuver together.

Any suggestions?

Well I've been playing this in the current store championship season and yesterday I managed to get my regionals bye! I came in first in Swiss in second overall, the guy who won overall already had a bye though so I still got one. I definitely learned that this list does struggle versus a few builds if the match is untimed.

So there you go, the list is viable even in a very competitive setting.

With Rage you get a focus AND an effective TL, so 2 actions for the cost of one, and you can choose to focus and evade after it! So at the low low price of 4 stress (love it) you get 4 ACTIONS! And you have the same token combo as super Fel!

Super Fel is 35 points, max.

Extremely minor point, but the Baron would want it pointed out.

Well I've been playing this in the current store championship season and yesterday I managed to get my regionals bye! I came in first in Swiss in second overall, the guy who won overall already had a bye though so I still got one. I definitely learned that this list does struggle versus a few builds if the match is untimed.

So there you go, the list is viable even in a very competitive setting.

VS what lists it struggles?

With adaptability coming soon I've started to proxy a new A-wing swarm that incorporates Adaptability. I've only run this list against Brobots and a 4 Y-wing TLT list so far. I murdered the brobots without losing a single ship (because only one brobot was able to attack my swarm during the first exchange of fire and all 5 of my A-wings focused fire on that single Brobot that round). I lost to the 4 TLT Y-wing list (with just one Y-wing left) because of one bad turn of movements on my part and bad dice rolls after I spent my Crack Shots killing the other 3 Ys. Autothrusters kept the A-wings alive longer, but eventually the Ys landed enough hits to start killing ships. Here is my list:

5x Green Squadron Pilot with Test Pilot title, Adaptability +1 (proxy), Crack Shot, Chardaan Refit, Autothrusters

20 points each, 100 points total.

In the two proxy matches the Adaptability +1 boost to my pilot skill didn't make any difference, but the new adaptability card is zero points and might make a difference if I go up against another swarm of ps3 or ps4 ships.

5 Crack Shot upgrades really helps you force damage past green dice ... but that only helps you get 5 shots through. As I continue to test this list I will try to focus on only using Crack Shot for "finising blows" or to push through crits after my targets' shields are down. That said, I've been using my Crack Shots right away since A-wings die after just 4 hits and I don't want any of my A-wings to die with an unspent (wasted) Crack Shot.

As others mentioned, Autothrusters doesn't really help againts standard attacks since you need to push the A-wing swarm into range 1 so you can roll more attack dice, but my local meta is pretty much dominated by multi-TLT lists and Brobots at the moment, so I think autothrusters is going to be essential if I want to bring this swarm to a tournament and have any chance to consistently beat TLTs.

With adaptability coming soon I've started to proxy a new A-wing swarm that incorporates Adaptability. I've only run this list against Brobots and a 4 Y-wing TLT list so far. I murdered the brobots without losing a single ship (because only one brobot was able to attack my swarm during the first exchange of fire and all 5 of my A-wings focused fire on that single Brobot that round). I lost to the 4 TLT Y-wing list (with just one Y-wing left) because of one bad turn of movements on my part and bad dice rolls after I spent my Crack Shots killing the other 3 Ys. Autothrusters kept the A-wings alive longer, but eventually the Ys landed enough hits to start killing ships. Here is my list:

5x Green Squadron Pilot with Test Pilot title, Adaptability +1 (proxy), Crack Shot, Chardaan Refit, Autothrusters

20 points each, 100 points total.

In the two proxy matches the Adaptability +1 boost to my pilot skill didn't make any difference, but the new adaptability card is zero points and might make a difference if I go up against another swarm of ps3 or ps4 ships.

5 Crack Shot upgrades really helps you force damage past green dice ... but that only helps you get 5 shots through. As I continue to test this list I will try to focus on only using Crack Shot for "finising blows" or to push through crits after my targets' shields are down. That said, I've been using my Crack Shots right away since A-wings die after just 4 hits and I don't want any of my A-wings to die with an unspent (wasted) Crack Shot.

As others mentioned, Autothrusters doesn't really help againts standard attacks since you need to push the A-wing swarm into range 1 so you can roll more attack dice, but my local meta is pretty much dominated by multi-TLT lists and Brobots at the moment, so I think autothrusters is going to be essential if I want to bring this swarm to a tournament and have any chance to consistently beat TLTs.

Have you tried running 5 A-wings with Push the Limit and Adaptability without AT's yet? I imagine that it would work more reliably against a wider array of ships, and you will still out PS TLT spam. With that combo you can rush into range and have everyone TL+Focus to bring down a Y-wing. 10 attack dice will usually kill a Y-wing with rerolls and conversions. It's also hard to really use AT's well with 5 ships as most opponents will just fire at whichever ones can't use their AT's for a round.

Firstly, congratulations!

And second, which lists did you struggle against?

I lost to a player named Brian Frost, he's a VERY skilled player who has now won 3 store championships in the southern New England area. He was flying a standard Palp-Vader-Fel list with VI on Vader. I had won our earlier match by taking out the 29 point shuttle and only losing 1 A-wing in return before time was called.

In an untimed match though one of us has to wipe out the other. He didn't make any mistakes really and flew quite cautiously with Vader and Fel. I kept them from having shots and forced him to dodge traps for about an hour and a half, killing the shuttle in the process, before I started to make mistakes like forgetting to use wingman twice. I bumped Fel and took off his stealth device, but I was so excited to have done it that I forgot to clear my stress and so I couldn't trap him. I also had a bizarre mind melt moment where I thought I had misset one dial to a 2 turn instead of a 2 bank. I picked it up and changed it before dials were set, but I had actually set it to a 2 bank originally and ended up changing it to a 2 turn instead, thus bumping a full strength A-wing and losing it in one round!

All told I think we started the match around 19:30 and finished after 22:00. This list is very similar to a classic tie swarm in that you need to have the mental endurance to play it well all day, and I had gone 5:0 up to this point so my brain was fried.

So as to what it can struggle against in an untimed match a perfectly flown Imperial Aces list would be my answer. Usually the list does well against that, and you can most certainly beat it, but you need to not make any mistakes to do so.

Super Fel is 35 points, max.

Extremely minor point, but the Baron would want it pointed out.

"Plus he's a bit cheaper with Rage then with Daredevil" was what I was describing, but you are correct regarding Fel for sure.

The only reason that a hesitate to ditch Autothrusters at the moment is that most lists in my local meta include 2-4 ships with TLTs. I can get into range 1 of a single TLT Y-wing and kill it within 1-2 turns with my 5 A-wings, but most players running multiple TLTs are smart enough to space out ships so the other TLTs can still shoot.

I ran a miniswarm of 4 TIE FOs a few weeks ago at a tournament and lost every match because every apponent I was paired against ran 2-3 TLTs with a heavy hitter or a 4 TLT list. I didn't have AT on my TIE FOs and 4 ships without crackshot or gunner just didn't bring enough attack dice to win before getting picked off. I had Juke on 2 of the 4 FOs and that still wasn't enough.

Losing EVERY match in a tournament to a multi-TLT list will make you focus on builds that can do well against multiple TLTs.

The rest of the local meta is mostly a mix of brobots, 3-ship ace builds, Palp shuttle + ace, and various swarms of 5-7 ships. I suspect 5 A-wings is enough attack dice to occassionally pull out a win against a multi-TLT list even without autothrusters, but I want more survivability (and reliability) against multi-TLT lists. Again, I probably would have won the last proxy game against 4 TLT Y-wings with my 5 A-wings if I hadn't misjudged one turn of movement or if my dice rolls were a little hotter.

If only there was a single point EPT like crack shot that was reusable. That would be overpowered for sure, but it would be fun to run in a swarm like this and be guaranteed that you will cause at least 5 points of damage each turn if all 5 ships have a shot.

Hey GSL, just curious if you went with your original Green Arrow list with Wingman or was it a modified list that took down the tournament? I have been seeing a lot of two ship builds lately, brobots included and I feel like A-wings could really do work or maybe any swarm in general, though I'd like to bring A-wings to the table competitively.

Hey GSL, just curious if you went with your original Green Arrow list with Wingman or was it a modified list that took down the tournament? I have been seeing a lot of two ship builds lately, brobots included and I feel like A-wings could really do work or maybe any swarm in general, though I'd like to bring A-wings to the table competitively.

I brought my standard wingman Green Arrow list yep. If you expect to face a bunch of two ship lists it's a good choice.

The only reason that a hesitate to ditch Autothrusters at the moment is that most lists in my local meta include 2-4 ships with TLTs. I can get into range 1 of a single TLT Y-wing and kill it within 1-2 turns with my 5 A-wings, but most players running multiple TLTs are smart enough to space out ships so the other TLTs can still shoot.

I ran a miniswarm of 4 TIE FOs a few weeks ago at a tournament and lost every match because every apponent I was paired against ran 2-3 TLTs with a heavy hitter or a 4 TLT list. I didn't have AT on my TIE FOs and 4 ships without crackshot or gunner just didn't bring enough attack dice to win before getting picked off. I had Juke on 2 of the 4 FOs and that still wasn't enough.

Losing EVERY match in a tournament to a multi-TLT list will make you focus on builds that can do well against multiple TLTs.

The rest of the local meta is mostly a mix of brobots, 3-ship ace builds, Palp shuttle + ace, and various swarms of 5-7 ships. I suspect 5 A-wings is enough attack dice to occassionally pull out a win against a multi-TLT list even without autothrusters, but I want more survivability (and reliability) against multi-TLT lists. Again, I probably would have won the last proxy game against 4 TLT Y-wings with my 5 A-wings if I hadn't misjudged one turn of movement or if my dice rolls were a little hotter.

If only there was a single point EPT like crack shot that was reusable. That would be overpowered for sure, but it would be fun to run in a swarm like this and be guaranteed that you will cause at least 5 points of damage each turn if all 5 ships have a shot.

Well to make a slight counterpoint at PS 3 you control the engagement speed vs TLT spam. Set up to joust the TLTs and slow the fight down. Force your opponent to come close enough that you can rush into range 1 and do so. Then in the next round block and kill the TLTs.

The A-wing is the best ship in the game arguably to kill a TLT swarm, but you need to be aggressive and go for an early kill and close range fight. If you are attacking at range 3 you'll always lose, and if you are attacking from behind you'll probably lose.

It's a matter of tactics, not upgrades.

I've been flying A's a lot, haven't really touched anything else in a couple of weeks. Going to take a break tomorrow night and fly Ghost and TAP... but this has been my build for my last buncha games

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Hull Upgrade (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Juke (2)
Stealth Device (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Hull Upgrade (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Hull Upgrade (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 99

This based on my true to life card selection. I've tried a few variants including mixing in Juke for all, Autothrusters instead of hull... but this has been most effective.

I haven't won yet, but I've had some really solid matches that have been a lot of fun and I've taken down my hair share of HP as well, much better than any of my aces lists. The change out to Jake has been a good one, and I've flown him with both VI And Juke and arguable which was more effective. I have only one Juke, and don't fly imps so I really don't wanna buy 3 more to get more Jukes, but a proxy of 4 jukes on greens has been fun! :)

A's are the best, I can't believe how fun these guys are! :)

Rage Tyho has been treating me well lately, and I have been really enjoying Cluster Missiles on him - the extra range really helps against higher PS ships (9+) that won't let you boost into R1 for a Procket shot. 

I won my store championship with a list that included 2x greenies with juke/PTL/at.

They were a direct evolution from the wingman greens here.

what else was in your list?

Green's are so underrated. once you learn how to fly them they are really dangerous and annoying. My last game was almost 2 hours and I was going up against a very very good list. 

I won my store championship with a list that included 2x greenies with juke/PTL/at.

They were a direct evolution from the wingman greens here.

what else was in your list?

Green's are so underrated. once you learn how to fly them they are really dangerous and annoying. My last game was almost 2 hours and I was going up against a very very good list.

An IonStress Y and Hobbie w/ TA/IA.

The last game was very close, and it really came down to my opponent making a mistake with whisper. My last ship, a greenie, made a r1 shot on whisper to strip her last shield and land a direct hit for the kill. Then it was just a matter of chasing down the palp shuttle.

Edited by Phelan Boots

Just a curiosity, and it's possible that over time this has come up on here and I missed it just reading the most recent page...

To be honest, I'm not sure why I went there... I think I was fiddling with B-Wings and Recon Spec and trying to fit an A-Wing in when I realized you could do a 6 A-Wing swarm.  Of course you always want to try and bump up to Greens from Prototypes, but then you drop a ship or two.  I get that you can reposition a lot more with the Greens decked out and shed the stress, but if you are doing it blind anyway would a 5th and 6th ship be better, especially if you can fly Jake at 10?

Jake Farrell with Chardaan Refit, Autothrusters, A-Wing Test Pilot, Veteran Instincts and Adaptability (I mean, why not bump him on up to 10 if you only have the 1 point for VI anyway)!

5 x Prototype Pilot with Chardaan Refit

So I guess the question is, is it worth it to drop all the goodies on these ships just to fly an extra two, keeping them lean and mean and fast? Or do they need all the toys to survive?

Incidentally, the PS 1011111 is XCV in binary which is what it looks like in the rear view mirror when they are taking out the Ghost!

So I guess the question is, is it worth it to drop all the goodies on these ships just to fly an extra two, keeping them lean and mean and fast? Or do they need all the toys to survive?

They want all the goodies that they can get to be honest and the GSP is so much better than the prototype. PTL is almost essential on all a-wing builds and with a focus and evade they are pretty tough to kill - but admittedly don't do too much.

If I had to run a swarm of more than 4 I would just look at 5 GSP with PTL

From the store championship thread!

Sunday March 20

Black Knight Games, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

21 players

4 rounds Swiss, cut to Top 4

List Juggler: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=1380

Chris Engler (1st after Swiss, Top 4)

R5Don4 (2nd after Swiss, Winner)

Green Squadron Pilot + A-Wing Test Pilot + Chardaan Refit + Adaptability + Autothrusters + Crack Shot
Green Squadron Pilot + A-Wing Test Pilot + Chardaan Refit + Adaptability + Autothrusters + Crack Shot
(100)