Sign in to follow this  
Viceroy Bolda

New T.I.E. with co-pilot and belly turret

I'm curious to see whether it will be a whole new ship, or whether it will just be a very lengthy Title card.

Even if they give it a new model, you COULD still get away with just packaging them with a Title card and all the various other upgrades that make a TIE Fighter into a First Order TIE Fighter.

This is a truly terrifying vessel. This is a TIE Fighter with a natural Aux. Arc that could take a cannon due to that shoulder mount, and likely has 4 armor.

Worse dial however. But those fat engines probably make up for it with better speeds.

Don't forget it probably also has a Crew slot.

Nuts to a rear arc imps are due a small turret ship.

Yes, and it's called the TIE Aggressor.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I wonder if that 'shoulder' gun is a communications antenna. Neither tip appear to have paint on them similar to the turret lasers. Also the trailer images don't show the belly turret or shoulder gun/antenna. Maybe this is based on the Chrometrooper's personal ride?

The website indicates it is a rotating shoulder mounted turret.  Still, I wonder how a turret could be mounted in that position and actually fire 360 with the wing panels and cockpit in the way.

TIE%2BGun.jpg

The website lists it as one yes but it's just making educated guesses based on what was seen in the trailers. In the trailers it doesn't actually fire and can be seen pointed upward as well.

Edited by Heavyguard

This is a truly terrifying vessel. This is a TIE Fighter with a natural Aux. Arc that could take a cannon due to that shoulder mount, and likely has 4 armor.

Worse dial however. But those fat engines probably make up for it with better speeds.

This is a terrifying starfighter and I don't ever want to have to fight one.

It will probably have that natural auxiliary arc, but if I were designing the ship for FFG, I'd not give it a full, 90 degree arc. For both game balance and in-universe reasons (the turret would be partially obstructed by the panels) a 45 degree arc (i.e. one that started at the peg and had the sides run to the 25 and 75% positions on the rear edge as opposed to the 0 and 100% points) would work better.

Alternately, they could give the ship a full Aux arc that was only usable under specific circumstances, like the Ghost's arc only being usable when the Phantom is equipped. In this case, they'd need to give the player a non-unique, zero point title that added a turret slot, and probably give something like a 2 point discount on turrets (to a minimum of one point), but only allowed the turret to fire from the rear arc, or possibly from the front or rear arc.

There are lots of ways they could do it, but I really don't expect a full, Firespray style auxiliary arc on a small base ship meant for swarming.

Edited by MacchuWA

Game mechanics win out over story fluff everytime with regard X-wing. There are plenty of other ships currently in the game that have a turrent (or some other feature), but do not have it in the game. I could totally see FFG releasing this design purely as another livery for the existing TIEs with the exact same stats and capabilities.

The y-wing's turret clearly can't cover every angle yet effectively it's got no limitations, same with the k-wing and the hwk.

Imps have been out as long as rebels yet we've only got one large turret it's time for some parity.

Hell scums been out since February this year they've already had their first large turret ship announced and have had access to the y-wing and hwk from the start.

So no TIE can have a true turret due to their side foil design. They could have a mobile weapons platform which can fire fore and aft but side shots will still be obstructed.

Thats also how i see it, but rear arc is very realistic. Crew member and improved hull strength as well as a possible cannon mount too!

The website indicates it is a rotating shoulder mounted turret.  Still, I wonder how a turret could be mounted in that position and actually fire 360 with the wing panels and cockpit in the way.

It wouldn't be a turret. It would be a cannon that can flip to front or back

Looking at those cogs, perhaps the solar panels can rotate to allow the turret to shoot sideways slightly?

Would be cheaper and easier just to have the pilot roll the craft

The three dimensional nature of space combat is an element overlooked in this game for the sake of gameplay over realism. And yes I like that fact, others have tried, but it tends to bog things down in complex maths and tables, let alone physics and the inertia issues.

So while intuitively it looks like the top weapon mount is futile having 360 rotation, in reality the TIE doesn't need to be level with its target. Hell the Germans even experimented with some upwards firing weapons on fighters to take out Allies bombers in WWII.

Auxilary arc Tie would be very cool. Turret not sold on..

Optional Crew slot with title, also very nice.

But perhaps it is even combined as on the Mist Hunter:

If you take the title for extra crew, you must also take a turret (or visa versa)

This would make it able to get them a specific (bad) turret, like pricey, and only 2 dice range 1 or something (because it would lack a turret slot and thus it can't equip other turrets, just like the mist hunter can only equip the tractor beam canon and no other canons). And flavor wise it makes sense too; you need that extra crew to man the turret, because it can't be operated by just the 1 guy.

Sounds reasonable, since then they can also cost the 'turret tie' very specifically.

Thoughts?

Edited by Soulflame

Wanted to mention this for a while and this seems like an appropriate place.  The "PWT" acronym seemed to just blow up on these forums almost overnight and I did not immediately think pancake or primary weapon.  For a week or so, I just assumed it stood for (Synonym for kitty-cat that starts with "P") With Turret.