Sign in to follow this  
EldritchFire

Simon Peg Ranks the Star Wars Movies

Aside from trying to start a flame war or an arguement I think the "rankings" most people list are silly.

Unfortunately when it comes to posts like this, most people prefer to be angry than to think rationally, so people hate on the new trilogy too much.

prophetic statement is proven correct... news at 11.

Edited by GM Knowledge Rhino

Aside from trying to start a flame war or an arguement I think the "rankings" most people list are silly.

Economically (technically the only reason movies get made) the movie people pan the most (Episode I) made the most of all the movies.

Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm & http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

If you adjust for inflation, which is not always a realistic indicator, it still fares well for Episode 1, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm

So if you want more Star Wars movies/toys/games/etc you would actually pray for more like Phantom Menace. Unfortunately when it comes to posts like this, most people prefer to be angry than to think rationally, so people hate on the new trilogy too much.

So your favorite was The Phantom Menace?

Everyone has their favorites. Much as I think Empire was a better movie than Star Wars, I still find the first is my favorite. Nostalgia probably plays a big part of that but I'm okay with that.

Using the financial succes of the Phantom Menace to deem it the most succesful is anything but rational. Had it been a stand alone film that did not follow up the most acclaimed largest movie trilogy ever after a decades long hiatus then it would have been reasonable, but even then only if financial gain is your number one standard by which to measure succes.

I don't get my opinions from movie stars who miss the whole point.

And why would you? But however, Pegg is a fan who should be allowed to voice his valid opinions too. And he is a cool guy who understands good storytelling and character development. Also, he is an alien in the upcomming one.

First of all, he is a FAN and that is what matters in this context!.. And I mostly agree with his list. I might change his number 1 and 2, but only because of personal enjoyment and not story quality reasons.

Using the financial succes of the Phantom Menace to deem it the most succesful is anything but rational. Had it been a stand alone film that did not follow up the most acclaimed largest movie trilogy ever after a decades long hiatus then it would have been reasonable, but even then only if financial gain is your number one standard by which to measure succes.

Interesting. First, I would like to point you to definition 2 of Success : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/success

2. the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.

Per that definition, it is irrational to NOT use it as a measure of success.

Second, thank you for proving my flame war comment as valid.

I have reported you for trying to start a fight, again. From here on out I will ignore you.

And why would you? But however, Pegg is a fan who should be allowed to voice his valid opinions too. And he is a cool guy who understands good storytelling and character development. Also, he is an alien in the upcomming one.

First of all, he is a FAN and that is what matters in this context!.. And I mostly agree with his list. I might change his number 1 and 2, but only because of personal enjoyment and not story quality reasons.

Hey, I love his work in other stuff.  Of course he's entitled to his opinion, but his status as an actor is irrelevant.

All his opinion means is he doesn't get the depth of what was accomplished in the PT.  Which means he's only half-a-FAN :)

Economically (technically the only reason movies get made) the movie people pan the most (Episode I) made the most of all the movies.

Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm & http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

If you adjust for inflation, which is not always a realistic indicator, it still fares well for Episode 1, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm

So if you want more Star Wars movies/toys/games/etc you would actually pray for more like Phantom Menace. Unfortunately when it comes to posts like this, most people prefer to be angry than to think rationally, so people hate on the new trilogy too much.

You should watch "the people vs George Lucas".

A TON of fans went and watched Ep. I several times.

Not because it was good... but because they had waited decades for a new star wars movie and they simply couldn't accept that it was bad.

There were people who went and watched it a second or even third (or more!) time just because "it can't really be that bad... can it? I must be missing something".

It was THAT kind of hysteria around the movie.

And purely objectively, the prequels were bad movies.

They weren't "bad starwars movies". They were poorly made movies.

Hey, I love his work in other stuff.  Of course he's entitled to his opinion, but his status as an actor is irrelevant.

All his opinion means is he doesn't get the depth of what was accomplished in the PT.  Which means he's only half-a-FAN :)

You don`t have to love all the movies to be a true fan! I like a lot of things and some individual scenes in the PT. The worldbuilding is great. However I don`t think the movies as a whole are any good and I get bored with them.

The movies don`t make me connect with or care about any of the characters, so I don`t care about anything they go through or what happens to them. And this is in strong contrast to the OT where character interaction, banter and personality was what made the movies so great to begin with. The movies make you care about the characters, so you care about what is happening to them and want to see what they go throgh. With the PT it just gets boring because characters and dialogue is so.. off. and after watching the PT it doesen`t take long before I forget what the plot was even about. That being said, I still like the world it is all presented in and a few concepts, like clone troopers for example, that is an awesome idea... (midichlorians, not so much %@?!)

Don`t hate the PT, but I don`t think they are good movies as far as character development and storytelling goes. I still enjoy parts of it. Sure, it might have dept, but that is in the worldbuilding department, not as a good story.

* I`ts ok to enjoy, like or even love bad movies! I love a lot of really bad movies for personal reason, tastes, atmosphere or visuals.

Pegg is still a real fan, even if he doesn`t love the PT.

Edited by RodianClone

The worldbuilding is great.

Exactly, for this reason alone I have watched the prequals multiple times. They add to the Star Wars universe and, eventhough I dislike most everything else about these films, I will contimue to watch them for their locations, aliens, monsters, ships and the like. I draw heavily on things I learned about the SW universe from watching I, II, III when I GM the game and have fun with them in my own bizar way.

Would I ever recommend them as good cinema? Never.

Just for grins, here is my list:

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Revenge of the Sith

3) Empire Strikes Back

4) Attack of the Clones

5) The Phantom Menace

6) A New Hope

Sometimes I rank A New Hope in the #5 spot because it is the movie that started it all.  But if given the choice between the two I would watch TPM over ANH.  Even though I was old enough when Empire came out, RotJ is the first one I remember seeing in the theater, so that movie will always be what defines Star Wars for me.

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Revenge of the Sith

3) Empire Strikes Back

4) Attack of the Clones

5) The Phantom Menace

6) A New Hope

Sometimes I rank A New Hope in the #5 spot because it is the movie that started it all.  But if given the choice between the two I would watch TPM over ANH.  Even though I was old enough when Empire came out, RotJ is the first one I remember seeing in the theater, so that movie will always be what defines Star Wars for me.

New hope in last? What the f@£$&! ? :o

It's jarring to me to hear working actors straight-up dissing the prequels these days. If George hadn't retired, you can bet they'd be keeping that stuff under their hats. Hopefully Lucas isn't becoming depressed.

Release the unaltered OT, George, and be a hero again!  :D

And purely objectively, the prequels were bad movies.

Regardless of why people went to see it or how "bad" the movies were/are I get a smile on my face every single time I put in ANY of the six Star Wars movies. With that, and the "value" of the brand I am happy they ALL exist.

That's really nice for you but I fail to see how this is relevant to the discussion.

I get a great big smile on my face every time I put an episode of Red Dwarf in, but I would never argue that they're well made, or even good.

They're funny. And they're crappy.

But that's ok, because I like them anyway.

And it's ok for you to like the prequels. I'm just saying they're not good movies (as in well made). And the fact that they sold a ton is absolutely no proof of them being good. 

Transformers sold a ton of tickets.

The Twilight movies sold a ton of tickets.

But I doubt anyone can argue that they're good movies because of that.

(In fact, I would argue that Ep. 1 sold a ton of tickets purely on the fact that there had been no new star wars movies for decades and the fans were hungry for one. Add to that the pure fact that there are A: many more movie theaters these days and B: many more people, and you'll see why the modern star wars movies sold about as much as the old ones)

Edited by OddballE8

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Revenge of the Sith

3) Empire Strikes Back

4) Attack of the Clones

5) The Phantom Menace

6) A New Hope

Hey, there's no accounting for taste...

I have a friend who loves the Twilight movies.

He's 42 years old.

There's no explaining it.

But then, I never trust in him when it comes to movie recomendations.

It's jarring to me to hear working actors straight-up dissing the prequels these days. If George hadn't retired, you can bet they'd be keeping that stuff under their hats. Hopefully Lucas isn't becoming depressed.

Release the unaltered OT, George, and be a hero again!  :D

Simon Peg did bash the prequels for years before Lucas' retirement though...

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Revenge of the Sith

3) Empire Strikes Back

4) Attack of the Clones

5) The Phantom Menace

6) A New Hope

Hey, there's no accounting for taste...

I have a friend who loves the Twilight movies.

He's 42 years old.

There's no explaining it.

But then, I never trust in him when it comes to movie recomendations.

I know, and I totaly agree! I wasn`t too serious, but I might put New Hope in 1, so I felt I had to comment my shock and outrage:p...

And I think it`s great that people like different things, even bad things. Maybe especially when people admit liking a few bad things too!:) 

No, a poorly made movie is Plan 9 From Outer Space. A poorly made movie is The Beast of Yucca Flats, where they lost the recorder with the soundtrack, couldn't afford ADR and was forced to have one guy narrate the whole movie. A poorly made movie is. . . well, this:

Anyone who considers Phantom Menace to be the worst movie of all time clearly hasn't seen Robot Monster, The Horror of Party Beach, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Monster a Go-Go!, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, Leonard Part 6, Mac and Me, Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, Reefer Madness, The Master of Disguise, Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, Heaven's Gate, "Manos" The Hands of Fate, I Spit on Your Grave, Fire Maidens from Outer Space, or Eegah.

(Source: I've seen all of those movies)

Edited by Desslok

Anyone who considers Phantom Menace to be the worst movie of all time clearly hasn't seen Robot Monster, The Horror of Party Beach, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Monster a Go-Go!, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, Leonard Part 6, Mac and Me, Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, Reefer Madness, The Master of Disguise, Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, Heaven's Gate, "Manos" The Hands of Fate, I Spit on Your Grave, Fire Maidens from Outer Space, or Eegah.

(Source: I've seen all of those movies)

I disagree! Phantom Menace and the Transformers Movies are worse than all of those in my mind. They have no excuse! They are high production value(like off the scale) and still they produce crap. In the case of Transformers it is effects masturbation and visuals and exploitation of atractive women and nostalgia to get asses in the movie theatre seats. No time or money spent on good writing, only writers that will get the job done and production that will sell tickets.

In the case of Star Wars, the first movie came out in a time where Hollywood could make **** and still make money and know they would sell tickets if they markeded it right. And with Star Wars, the markeding was as good as done already.

This was a time when noone would question, critisize or filter George Lucas and his ideas, and noone thought they would have to. He is a GREAT idea man with an exeptional and awesom imagination, but he proved to be a bad writer and director when he worked alone.

Today Hollywood is making great movies again, for the most part(we still get crappy transformers movies), because they have to to sell money and make tickets. This is because of the TWITTER EFFECT and the influence social media has on the busines and artform. If movie is bad, people will know after the first viewing and the movie will flop the very next day. So producers have to hire good directors and writers and take the subject, genre and franchises seriously to make the movies good enough and for the fans to accept it and like it. Otherwise: crash and burn thanks to the twitter effect and angry fans!

Link: The Dark Age of Movies

Edited by RodianClone