Sign in to follow this  
Plainsman

The real question about the new movie trilogy...

The real question is " is Abrams going to frak it up the way he did Star Trek?"

Now I will say this: some of what I don't like about his Trek films(mostly the first one) makes me hopeful. I'm a fan of both, for completely different reasons. (my issues with the second one make me nervous)

...is how/when will they kill off the original heroes, before the actors die in real life. :(

...why isn't there a cartoon with Han, Luke, Leia and co instead of the characters in Rebels?

...why didn't they reboot with younger actors for Han, Luke, Leia and co?

They need to use this next film as a bridge from the old characters to new ones.

I think most of the old gen will be killed off or fade into the backstory.

Luke needs to rebuild the Jedi order. The Imperial loyalists will need to be rounded up.

Many systems will have civil war and the cartels and black market with thrive in stolen and looted tech from both rebel and Imperial factions.

...why didn't they reboot with younger actors for Han, Luke, Leia and co?

nope

nope

nope

Yeah, while we are kind of drowning in sequels here (In the film industry in general, I mean), I don't trust anyone to reboot Star Wars. We're much safer giving them a time skip to allow for greater creative freedom and just allowing the films to be themselves.

@Alphastealer: Have you watched any of the previews yet, if I may ask? Because I'm a tad confused about how you could get the idea that rounding up Imperial Loyalists is what's going on in Episode VII

Star Wars could use more variety in it's models of Death Stars.

I want a Death Star that just serves as a mobil docking station for Star Destroyers, who's superlaser is only powerful enough to one-shot capital ships instead of planets.

Like the Eclipse, only in ball form.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Hmmm, it took three movies to kill off the majority of those prequel characters like Anakin, Yoda and Sheev. I'm pretty sure Luke will get the Ben treatment of getting killed and ghosting it for a while. Even minor prequel characters like Jabba and Boba got call backs before getting axed, but poor Bail didn't even get recast for those 'OT' movies.

(Slight sarcasm in this post)

Hmmm, it took three movies to kill off the majority of those prequel characters like Anakin, Yoda and Sheev. I'm pretty sure Luke will get the Ben treatment of getting killed and ghosting it for a while. Even minor prequel characters like Jabba and Boba got call backs before getting axed, but poor Bail didn't even get recast for those 'OT' movies.

(Slight sarcasm in this post)

Wait, i though Luke crossed over to the dark side and became the new Emperor? :wacko:

Now I will say this: some of what I don't like about his Trek films(mostly the first one) makes me hopeful. I'm a fan of both, for completely different reasons. (my issues with the second one make me nervous)

What are your concerns?

What are your concerns?

That's a pretty big topic right there...we could start with a complete lack of understanding of the IP

What are your concerns?

That's a pretty big topic right there...we could start with a complete lack of understanding of the IP

We could point out the massive plot holes.

What are your concerns?

Is it really more plot-holey than the old Star Treks (and Star Wars), or do we just notice the holes more when we're not enamoured by the film they're wrapped up in?  Genuine question, I haven't thought about it much.  What are the really big plot holes?

I assume the comment about not understanding the IP was a reference to concentrating on sexy, fast paced action with little cerebral content?

Darth Vader is Luke's father and Leia is his sister. Sorry for the spoiler...

Leia is Darth Vader's sister?! This changes everything!

Yes.  This change was instituted by The Mouse.  Also, Yoda will now be played by Donald Duck.

What are your concerns?

Is it really more plot-holey than the old Star Treks (and Star Wars), or do we just notice the holes more when we're not enamoured by the film they're wrapped up in?  Genuine question, I haven't thought about it much.  What are the really big plot holes?

I assume the comment about not understanding the IP was a reference to concentrating on sexy, fast paced action with little cerebral content?

Simple answer is yes.

Here's a biggie the romulons get sent back in time further than spock but what do they do with that 20 year gap? they could take their advanced ship to their ancestors and give them a massive technological edge that would see the republic take over the alpha quadrant and warn them about the disaster ensuring the homeworld is evacuated and his wife and younger self are free from tragedy. 

I know in book they fight the borg or something but thats not in the movie, in that they just disappear which is really stretching credulity that the crew would stick around that long for their captains obsession.   

Then you have the maguffin that is the red substance never explained and self contradictory a drop makes a world implode but gallons of the stuff do nothing?

The supernova speed is another one if the star is 150 years away it would take 150 years to reach the home world, at the time of the movies production the speed of light was still an absolute and they never explain how something like a supernova bypassed the speed of light, the core reason for the entire story is massively flawed. 

Simple answer is yes.

Here's a biggie the romulons get sent back in time further than spock but what do they do with that 20 year gap? they could take their advanced ship to their ancestors and give them a massive technological edge that would see the republic take over the alpha quadrant and warn them about the disaster ensuring the homeworld is evacuated and his wife and younger self are free from tragedy. 

I know in book they fight the borg or something but thats not in the movie, in that they just disappear which is really stretching credulity that the crew would stick around that long for their captains obsession.   

Then you have the maguffin that is the red substance never explained and self contradictory a drop makes a world implode but gallons of the stuff do nothing?

The supernova speed is another one if the star is 150 years away it would take 150 years to reach the home world, at the time of the movies production the speed of light was still an absolute and they never explain how something like a supernova bypassed the speed of light, the core reason for the entire story is massively flawed. 

Interesting.

Come to think of it, I think I did wonder why having travelled through time they couldn't have gone and saved the planet.  Forget evacuating it, they could have saved it using the original plan, once they got Spock's ship.

I don't agree with the problem of the red stuff being in a big container though - clearly it was in some sort of protective field.

I'm not sure I remember the supernova bit well enough - but from what you're saying they had next to no time between realising it was supernova and it hitting their system, is that right?  That's actually kinda believable isn't it?  Assuming there are no indicators that it's close before the event, then they would have no knowledge of it before it hit, due to the speed of light as you mention.  Presumably they could only find out about it in advance using warp technology - if they had no particular reason to warp-scan the supernova place then they wouldn't know.

I like JJ's Star Trek more than the old ones. So yeah :D

Simple answer is yes.

Interesting.

Come to think of it, I think I did wonder why having travelled through time they couldn't have gone and saved the planet.  Forget evacuating it, they could have saved it using the original plan, once they got Spock's ship.

I don't agree with the problem of the red stuff being in a big container though - clearly it was in some sort of protective field.

I'm not sure I remember the supernova bit well enough - but from what you're saying they had next to no time between realising it was supernova and it hitting their system, is that right?  That's actually kinda believable isn't it?  Assuming there are no indicators that it's close before the event, then they would have no knowledge of it before it hit, due to the speed of light as you mention.  Presumably they could only find out about it in advance using warp technology - if they had no particular reason to warp-scan the supernova place then they wouldn't know.

No they are a star empire that spans a significant region of space and they are uber paranoid as a species and constantly on the look out for infiltration by their enemies the odds they wouldn't see as supernova from any point in their area of control and report it to their homeworld are nil.

The star was 150 light years away it would take the effects of that nova no less than 150 years to reach the homeworld and due to physics not all effects would arrive at once.

But in the movie it ignores physics which for a startrek movie is a major sin, it's science fiction but it was always based on science fact and went a long way to be believable. 

Also on the red stuff we don't know it was in anything but glass because it's never explained let alone addressed.

I thought JJ was going to do something fresh with the Death Star III .... and make it a cube!

In this alternate JJ universe, Darth Vulcan neck pinches his Admirals to death and the Falcon gets 0.5 past warp speed. 3spock PO would tell you the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid .. but it would be illogical.

Tractor beam me up Obi. _\\//

Edited by Conandoodle