Sign in to follow this  
Kilcannon

Pin, trip, and hold martial art maneuvers that aren't damaging

Wondering if there are any rules for pin, trip, and hold maneuvers? I know there is knockdown. One of my players is a mixed martial arts and wants more things to be able to do that aren't damaging or just knockdown. Is there a specialization in AOR or EoE or home brew if doesn't exist?

He is trying to use saber as last resort, but is staying away from blasters unless desperate.

Not yet I think.

But creative uses of Disoriented, Immobilised and Staggered in addition to Knockdown should cover it.

As unarmed doesn't grant access to the Immobilised (Ensnare) or Staggered (Concussive) effects one could either solve this with talents and homebrew a spec, or one could add increases and/or upgrades to unarmed attacks as ways to get access to these effects.

Lotr_Nerd makes a valid point too, this could all be up to narration, using stun damage and spending advantages and triumphs in creative ways.

Seeing as there are brawling weapons (vamblade, vibroknuckles and blast knuckles, I think) that specidically say they can't deal strain damage, and that Brawl represents all forms of unarmed combat (including grappling; check the book), then, yes, you can go nonlethal with it.

Mechanically, things like that would be covered under the Brawl skill and treated as unarmed attacks.  Disorient and Knockdown are default weapon qualities on all unarmed attacks, and you can chose to inflict strain instead of wound damage when making an unarmed attack.

In fact, there's a sidebar titled "Grappling" on page 218, which has appeared in both of the other core rulebooks, and gives a pretty good explanation for why it's just a Brawl check while unarmed instead of being a separate sub-set of unarmed attacks.

Cool will defineately look. One of my players is an agressor/ataru/assassin/commando who is ex imperial when he changed sides, but wants to use his martial arts to take enemies out quietly when infiltrating the empire and not revealing he is now working with the jedi and the Aldaran reistance.