Sign in to follow this  
Zaltyre

Mists of Bilehall: what we know

Interesting observation about the LT cards. I think you're right- it has been confirmed that there are 3 LTs, so that's one card per LT. However, if Mists is just an Act 1 campaign, then there really isn't a reason to have Act 2 versions of those monsters since they don't appear outside of these quests. The agents will almost certainly have cards for both acts.

Observations from reading the back of the Box:

-There are 10 Encounters. The usual format for a quest can be 1 to 2, though Heirs of Blood proved they could include more encounters in a quest. Intro Quest could be 1, followed by three Act1 Quests of 2 encounters each and then a massive 3 encounter Finale?

As this campaign is nowhere referred to as a mini-campaign, but rather as a "full, one-act campaign" I think we could see another campaign-structre than 3 quests and one final.

Seeing how Manor of Ravens featured exlusivly 1 encounter quests, I still hope they continue this trend and we see something like 8 Quests and 2 Finales (no introduction quest I hope). I still wish we would see ~4 Act II quests and one finale as a full campaign and I really hope this has 2 nearly different playthroughs, because as of now I see these tainted blood cards as one of the more exciting features of this expansion and seeing how they seem to be campaign exclusive, I really hope we have enough quests to try them out.

Observations from reading the back of the Box:

-There are 10 Encounters. The usual format for a quest can be 1 to 2, though Heirs of Blood proved they could include more encounters in a quest. Intro Quest could be 1, followed by three Act1 Quests of 2 encounters each and then a massive 3 encounter Finale?

- 8 new Shop cards. Yay, something to integrate into other expansions and the base game.

- 3 Relic Cards- Relics don't usually show up outside their respective campaigns, so cool, but Bilehall only.

- 6 Monster Cards ( Act1 and Act 2 for each monster)

- 5 Travel Event Cards. Always fun to add more randomness on the adventure.

- 3 Lieutenant Cards. This I have the biggest issue with here. It means we'll only get the Act versions of the Lieutenants, either Act I or II. So we won't be seeing them outside Mists of Bilehall. Which quite frankly kinda sucks.

-Map Tiles and Terrain Tokens

-8 hero Tokens. Probably 2 for each hero. I don't mind... I'd like more anyway.  

So half of thoses are useless outside of the MoB Campaign then ...

The boxe add some shop card and some monsters, that's all !

Great .... !

Personally I hope the tainted cards are usable outside of MoB, but I fear that´s wishful thinking, as they seem to be linked to the new campaign :(

One thing I would have liked to see very much were new search cards. Either more (different) cards to add to the pile oder some kind of second search card deck.

Disregarding secret rooms the search deck has been one of the most static things since the base game.

It looks like the tainted cards are just intended for Bilehall, though I don't see why they couldn't be applied to other quests as a house rule.

The secret rooms are a very neat mechanic, and we got more diversity in the deck with the secret room cards added in Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens. I don't think there is much to do with the search deck- it already has good balance in terms of card frequency, and unless you're replacing cards, you're going to mess that up. Honestly, all I'd see done with the search deck (if anything) is make variable "special cards" which rotate in and out randomly each quest. That is:

The 6 health and stam potions, the treasure chest, and the secret room stay put. The other 4 cards (currently the fire flask, power potion, warding talisman, and curse doll) get pulled from a secondary deck of more "unique" items. Before the travel phase, you grab a random 4 of these cards, and without looking at them mix them in with the other 8 set cards. Voila, slightly more interesting search deck. 

While I can understand your point, rugal- there isn't much less in this expansion that crosses over than any other expansion. It is true that there are no heroes; for the most part, however, the heroes from any given expansion go unused in any given session. In fact, the only other thing MoB doesn't offer that other small boxes have is rumor cards. I do not have an explanation for why rumor cards were not included- that to me is a bigger disappointment than no heroes. On the other hand, I think there is something to be said for the design of this expansion as a cohesive unit- the monsters, the mechanics, the quests, and the story all go with each other. Rather than offering an expansion which is just a bunch of components, it looks to me like Bilehall is FFG providing an expansion that is designed to be a unified narrative. 

We well see

but about the search deck, a new full deck 2 like the Basic 2 would be great to change the games. For example less potion but that will gives back half health and Stamina of a target adjacent, no treasure chest but a big amount of gold (100), an invincible potion, a one that would give movement point, etc ...

I've tought of it there's some time now, but I forgot a bit

A picture has appeared on BGG of the back of the box. This lists the entire contents of the expansion. Things to note:

-Shop cards. These will be something else to contribute to the collective stacks of cards outside the expansion.

-Travel cards. 5 travel cards is almost certainly not a separate deck, so I think we can also assume that these will combine with the base travel deck.

-Relics. Relics!

-No rumor cards listed.

-Awesome broodwalker artwork. Maggoty.

Hooray! Validation for my wild assumptions! (specifically on the Shop cards)

Also, the lieutenants wouldn't have integrated into another campaign anyways (who aside from the base game lieutenants is featured in other expansions?) That's what Agents are for. Agents: bringing less-lieutenanty lieutenants to wherever you need them.

The complaint I have about no Act 2 LTs is that you can't epic play MoB in Act 2 (expert level), then. Our group is just going to use the agent's health, dice, and defense if we do that, though. I never thought to complain that Queen Ariad or Serena LT didn't have an Act 1 card, and I guess this is the same thing.

Edited by Zaltyre

Battlelore get an undead faction, released in September.

Descent gets an undead expansion featuring 2 of the battlelore units.

Runebound gets a new version, with an undead scenario in the core set.

Could this be the first cross-terrinoth wave of releases since descent 1st edition?

And more specific than that, both the Descent and the Battlelore expansions deal with the same arch, the ominous mist in a kingdom that announces the rise of necromancers bringing the threat of bone horrors and reanimates. I guess I like this. Shake that brand!

Edited by ramblur

I think this looks great! The main thing this set has over the other small box expansions is the number of quests. A full one act campaign probably means a prologue, a choice of 3 quests from 5 or 6 quests and 2 finales, or something like that (and this gives the best replayability). Especially this means that the new tiles and terrain mechanics will get much more use than in other small expansions. Trollfens and LotW have some great new tiles, but only five quests in which they are ever used (until we get some campaign books which require them). Plus it's more quests in which the set's monsters and lieutenants are guaranteed to show up.

A five quest campaign is also a good length for those of us who can't play more than once or twice a month if we're lucky.

There are lots of heroes and monsters already, and a fair number of classes, but new quests are the most important thing to keep up variety and there are at least 7 or 8 here. Together with Heirs of Blood it seems that new quests have become a focus of the non-H&M expansions, while the H&M sets provide monsters and heroes, which is a good balance and gives a decent choice.

I am curious how an Act 2 only campaign would work. I imagine that the heroes would start with an even larger amount of XP and gold than a mini campaign, and the OL would start with some amount of XP and potentially a relic.

Threat makes for a curious problem when starting anywhere but the beginning, as there are no established levels of threat.

I thought you could play any act 1 campaign, then follow it up with any act 2 campaign.

Or just jump straight into an act 2 campaign, the difficulty would be set by what each side begins with.

I suppose you could just follow up with any mini, small box, campaign as your second act.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is act 2 only. We haven't seen a lieutenant card yet, but the monster preview was an act 2 card.

In a normal campaign the heroes usually have 4xp by the interlude. We found the mini campaigns poorly balanced as they started with 4xp and the heroes were too strong with 6xp by the third act 1 quest. If this starts with 4xp each, the choice of the whole act 1 shop deck and some threat, then, with an opening quest made slightly less monster heavy to allow for the weaker heroes, the rest of the campaign will be at roughly the same level as a normal full campaign act 2.

I would assume that monsters will have both an act 1 and act 2 card. Otherwise they also would be partly useless in other campaigns. So while I also think it'll most likely be a act 2 only campaign, I don't see the monster card previewed as confirmation of that.

Until it gets released, this can only be speculation.

Agreed- but while we are speculating, I do not see FFG releasing an Act 2 exclusive campaign out of the blue. My theory is that the single act here is act 1. It would just be so much simpler in terms of setup each time.

I don't see why setting up an act 2 only campaign is any more difficult than setting up a mini campaign or epic play now.

Another possibility, although it looks extremely unlikely, is that you could play it as either act 1 or act 2. I seriously doubt it as there are only 3 lieutenant cards, but if that was possible it would give a lot more flexibility-you could play it alone or chain it with a mini campaign (either before or after) or any future single act campaigns.

Yes, this is all speculation, but it is interesting to think of different ways to use a single act campaign even if this one turns out to be act 1 only.

Too be honest, thinking about it, how will this ever work?

If its an act 1 only campaign, won't the monsters become to weak after half the campaign?

And if its an act 2 only campaign it'll be the other way around..

I'm really wondering why they feel they have to diverge again from the way the normal/mini campaigns work. They should really give us a bit more insight in how this will work in a new news post or something.