Sign in to follow this  
MrMaggles

So Inquisitor Tie seems underwhelming :(

I don't know.  It got 2 shield and 3 agility, boost, a missile slot and a Guidance`computer.   Which turns all focus to hits on missiles and torps as a mod.     Seems pretty good to me (It's the ordnance fix everyone is looking for.

Also when attacking the inquisitor always counts everyone at range 1 from all ranges, that's nasty.   Lastly, the xx23 which gives targets locks to all friends within range 1 and 2.

I think this ship is super nasty!!

Was guidance computer revealed yet?

as above

inquisitor is less intercepy (less PS than soonts, no free focus after even b-roll and boosting) than an interceptor, but he's also far more reliable i.t.o dice (shields, 1 more total health unless SU soonts for 36 total; TL) and can spit out far more damage (TL re-olls, range 3 shot counting as range 1; prockets)

He's not there to replace Soont's job, IMO.  Soontir does his own thing and can sustain himself very well.  This cat just needs a good support ship or squad to follow and assist either offensively or defensively.  

he's inevitably going to compete for a very similar role with soonts, costing a mere 2 points less (although he'll be cheaper than the inevitable EU vader)

the difference is, compared to soonts, he trades out maneuverability (the flexibility of soontir's stress --> focus for action efficiency off of any action, whereas V1 title is only TL --> free evade) and 1 PS for greater reliability (2 shields + 2 hull to 3 hull), greater punch (range 3 --> range 1, less range 1 dice unless investing in prockets, reliability of TL will greater improve output reliability though)

he's basically a punchier (thanks to missile slot), bulkier, stiffer soontir provided he has the greens to run PTL. This'll translate to a very different experience on the table-top between the pilots, but they will be competing for a similar role (probably 2nd-fiddle to the continuing RAC reign) Otherwise, I have no idea.

Edited by ficklegreendice

I know in other threads a brief discussion has been had over the expected dial.  I've stated that I expect the dial to be very close to the TA's.  Only difference is where they place the greens. (I guessed 2 banks and all the straights and maybe a different speed K turn).  If this holds to be true.  If the TAP ends up being the equivalent of the Z-wing to the TA, would PTL be a good EPT for the two named pilots?  Even if you put the TIE Mk.II mod on this ship, could you effectively run PTL without any green turns?

I know in other threads a brief discussion has been had over the expected dial.  I've stated that I expect the dial to be very close to the TA's.  Only difference is where they place the greens. (I guessed 2 banks and all the straights and maybe a different speed K turn).  If this holds to be true.  If the TAP ends up being the equivalent of the Z-wing to the TA, would PTL be a good EPT for the two named pilots?  Even if you put the TIE Mk.II mod on this ship, could you effectively run PTL without any green turns?

Issue is if you want PTL you'll probably want the MK.II engine, you take that you cant take AT which makes you easy game for turrets.

But without PTL you can't effectively use the boost because you want the evade TL gives you, you could discard the tittle but then your reliant on green dice alone which is a bad bet.

It's whenever you acquire a target lock, so if your TIE/v1 swarms all have S-Thread Tracers they could reliably keep their defences up.

I think the Inquistor's probably got a pretty expensive pilot ability. I see the TAP being around A-wing price. 16 I'd guess.

Dialwise, interceptorlike without green turns, so TIE fighter with a green 4 (which we know it has).

I'd imagine this ship plays like a beefed up TIE fighter ace. At 2 attack it's going to want to get in close to get its shots to pay off, using TIE/v1 to survive up close. The Inquistor probably plays like a beefier, boosting Scyk. Autothrusters, sticking at Range 3 (which is the optimal range for him), probably with VI.

Edited by Blue Five

Issue is if you want PTL you'll probably want the MK.II engine, you take that you cant take AT which makes you easy game for turrets.

But without PTL you can't effectively use the boost because you want the evade TL gives you, you could discard the tittle but then your reliant on green dice alone which is a bad bet.

This is my thought.  I don't see this ship having the dial to really take PTL.  Autothrusters, as you mentioned, is going to be a better mod than the TIE Mk.II.  The lack of evade as an action (without the title) was done intentionally by FFG it seems.  This will not be an interceptor.  It will be a cheaper TA, much like the Z-wing is the the X-wing.

We could be wrong about the dial of course but given that FFG want to keep all ships relevant they cant give it an interceptor dial without killing them as an option which is why i suspect the generics will be closer to 20 than to 16.

And i'm still puzzled why they gave it a native boost that needs PTL to shine, it makes sense on the punisher given it's clear role but on this ship it's something of an enigma.

What is it's role meant to be other than to make Disney happy.

We could be wrong about the dial of course but given that FFG want to keep all ships relevant they cant give it an interceptor dial without killing them as an option which is why i suspect the generics will be closer to 20 than to 16.

And i'm still puzzled why they gave it a native boost that needs PTL to shine, it makes sense on the punisher given it's clear role but on this ship it's something of an enigma.

I'm looking at both the Z95 and the Starviper as examples of what this ship will be.  PTL CAN be used on the Starviper, but it isn't the best fit.  As a Starviper fan I can tell you having both boost and barrel roll aids in ship placement.  PS1 Starvipers are AWESOME blockers.  It doesn't need a token if the only thing that can shoot it has bumped.  (It's risky flying with big rewards for being right!)  Ace pilots can take things like Predator and not need tokens for offense.  The boost or barrel roll will get them out of firing arcs.

I really like the title.

The title by itself is what'll make the ship good. Both Offense + Defense in one action will be amazing.

I foresee the ship having a good cost for its stats, when you include the title. I am guessing at a 16-17 pt cost. The named pilot's ability is good enough that FFG could add a 3 pt premium and still keep the ship correctly costed. Essentially, at 16 pts I think this ship with v1 title (17pts total) will have a great jousting value. At 17 pts, it will only be okay, on par with Protos and Alphas.

To benchmark the cost, at 17 pts you can run 5 x Inquisitor + v1 title + Autothrusters. This is similar to our 5 x Alpha + AT swarm with the obvious differences being: 1 less attack dice per ship,1 more effective hp per ship, shields instead of hull, but also higher damage and survivability when using TL.

I'm all for this ship. I think the PS 8 + VI + v1 title will fit in pretty well and be costed well enough to be put in squads. He will certainly not replace our ace in Ace + Decimator lists, Vader will be the new toy there. But I think the Inquisitor fits nicely as a flanker for 5 Ties, letting more pts be put into the Ties. And heck, I could see good Alpha strike lists coming out of this. And I mean actual good ones.

I'm looking at both the Z95 and the Starviper as examples of what this ship will be.  PTL CAN be used on the Starviper, but it isn't the best fit.  As a Starviper fan I can tell you having both boost and barrel roll aids in ship placement.  PS1 Starvipers are AWESOME blockers.  It doesn't need a token if the only thing that can shoot it has bumped.  (It's risky flying with big rewards for being right!)  Ace pilots can take things like Predator and not need tokens for offense.  The boost or barrel roll will get them out of firing arcs.

A-Wing is closest correlation over either of those.

Lone Wolf may be a good option on the Inquisitor and seems somewhat flavorful as well. He did mostly seem to operate on his own.

However, with the title in play, I think VI is a very strong choice. You're probably only fighting Corran at this PS (assuming he's VI as well) and you're setup better to get a TL on another ship. You've got to play smart with your manuevers to keep from losing some of the slippier targets but you'll be quite good at catching slower ships and big targets, I think. And, you're not a Phantom, so people aren't going to be buying into VI just to avoid you shooting at them.

A-Wing is closest correlation over either of those.

It does not have the evade action and we have not clue what the dial is.  Just the lack of evade, let alone the fact it can't take up to 2 EPTs) make it very hard to compare to the A-wing right now.  

The A-wing is a Rebel ship and its characteristics match that of the rebellion.  The TIE Interceptor is the Empire's A-wing.  It relies (as do many of the Empire's ships) on it's dial and that evade token rather than shields.  The TAP (from what we've seen thus far) seems to fill the role that the Z95 plays for the Rebels, but in a much more S&V way.  So in a way, it is the Z95 to the Starviper.  FFG, rather than copying an existing ship, seems to have mixed things up a bit; taking a bit from the Starviper and mixing in a TIE Advanced feel.  If I'm right, this will be an offensive minded TIE Fighter.