Sign in to follow this  
MrMaggles

So Inquisitor Tie seems underwhelming :(

...and a Guidance`computer.   Which turns all focus to hits on missiles and torps as a mod.     Seems pretty good to me (It's the ordnance fix everyone is looking for.

If that's actually what that does...*ouch*...that's going to really amp up the effectiveness of Adv Proton Torps.  Who needs 'munitions failsafe' for 1 pt when you can just convert all your results to 'hits'?  Not many things get to roll 5 evade dice...

Rhymer is pleased...

...and a Guidance`computer. Which turns all focus to hits on missiles and torps as a mod. Seems pretty good to me (It's the ordnance fix everyone is looking for.

If that's actually what that does...*ouch*...that's going to really amp up the effectiveness of Adv Proton Torps. Who needs 'munitions failsafe' for 1 pt when you can just convert all your results to 'hits'? Not many things get to roll 5 evade dice...

Rhymer is pleased...

I would be very pleased with that upgrade

Dude the Inquistor is insane. Possibly rivaling Fel...?

With title and ptl you get a target lock, focus, and evade for a three-dice attack, and at R3 there's no autothruster or extra die bonus for your opponent. All this for 29 pts. Then you can add twin ion engines or autothrusters to taste. This thing can hit more consistently than Fel and is tougher.

This is an awesome ship.

... oh, crap.

There's the third ace in those triple-interceptor lists, and he's tougher than Carnor and Fel were to start with. ;)

Heck, any two of:

Fel35: 35pts

Carnor w/ ditto (or hull, whatever): ~34pts

Vader Ace: 35-37pts, depending on how you assemble him (Assuming here ATC, Engine, and 1-3pt EPT of your choice)

Plus

Inquisitor: PTL, Title: 29pts

You'll probably even have an initiative bid!

Yeah!

This will be so fun:

Soontir Fel - PtL, Stealth Device, Autothrusters, Royal Guard TIE (35)

Darth Vader - TIE/x1, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer (34)

Inquisitor - PtL, TIE/v1, Autothrusters (30)

(100 pts.)

You can swap out the Inquistor's AT for Twin Ion Engine MkII for a 1 pt initiative bid, and to help with PtL stress.

Depending on The Inquisitor's dial I might drop EU to get Predator for Vader and MkII for The Inquisitor.

I'm underwhelmed it's a headhunter except it won't be as cheap as a headhunter so the generics won't see play so then named pilot use depends on dial.

I've yet to see a named headhunter do really well they tend to die the first time I open up with my HLC.

Assuming The Inquisitor has a 2 pt ability, since it is very good, that puts the PS2 at 17 pts, 1 more compared to PS equivalent refit awings. I think the saving grace is the title, which I think is worth more than 1 point, allowing you to use your action on both offense and defense. It's hard to say if it will see more play than the awing, I'm not sure it will. At least The Inquisitor is very good (even more so if his dial is ptl friendly)and will represent the ship regardless.

margin of use over the A-wing will vary greatly depending on available in-faction tech (different factions and all :P)

speculations:

disregarding the inquisitor's unique ability (plus the fact that we don't have the dial on hand), the tie/v1 is working off the unique advantage of its title + a lowest PS of

in regards to inquistor (34 points for PTL, prockets, title, thrusters) vs jakes (33 for VI + PTL, prockets & thrusters), we have

far greater range 2 (and especially 3) firepower

stiffer action economy (PTL with unspecified array of greens apart from 4 straight, action economy in TL --> evade but not focus --> roll/boost; inquisitor can stack dice mods well but not mobility + mods such as jakes or soontir)

PS 8 vs PS 9 (test pilot w/V.I & PTL)

the addition of barrel-roll is very interesting, though it doesn't affect action economy (which is strictly title's TL + evade) it does greatly open up blocking/approach shenanigans which will scale hilariously with the presence of int agent

the loss of evade is largely moot with the title, though there are built in limitations (need to have range on a lock; harder for low PS generics). The counter-point is evade isn't terribly useful on high agility generics anyway because it cannot be stacked with focus (needs PTL) and focus generally provides similar/greater returns, unless you have fickle's luck <_<

the v1 is not working off of "refit tax" (though the price may end up panning out to 17 regardless) and the synergy with the title may make missiles in general more feasible.

Strangely enough, though, the tracer missiles (and deadeye) are anti-synergy with the title because they just require focus. Sure, they grant locks (which then grant evades) but they'll have to be shot first, so higher PS pilots can shoot the V1 before it gets its evade.

counter-point: you trigger v1 target-locks off of a high PS tracer, suddenly you have a squad full of focus + tl + evade :D

Edited by ficklegreendice

Dude the Inquistor is insane. Possibly rivaling Fel...?

With title and ptl you get a target lock, focus, and evade for a three-dice attack, and at R3 there's no autothruster or extra die bonus for your opponent. All this for 29 pts. Then you can add twin ion engines or autothrusters to taste. This thing can hit more consistently than Fel and is tougher.

This is an awesome ship.

... oh, crap.

There's the third ace in those triple-interceptor lists, and he's tougher than Carnor and Fel were to start with. ;)

Heck, any two of:

Fel35: 35pts

Carnor w/ ditto (or hull, whatever): ~34pts

Vader Ace: 35-37pts, depending on how you assemble him (Assuming here ATC, Engine, and 1-3pt EPT of your choice)

Plus

Inquisitor: PTL, Title: 29pts

You'll probably even have an initiative bid!

Yeah!

This will be so fun:

Soontir Fel - PtL, Stealth Device, Autothrusters, Royal Guard TIE (35)

Darth Vader - TIE/x1, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer (34)

Inquisitor - PtL, TIE/v1, Autothrusters (30)

(100 pts.)

You can swap out the Inquistor's AT for Twin Ion Engine MkII for a 1 pt initiative bid, and to help with PtL stress.

Depending on The Inquisitor's dial I might drop EU to get Predator for Vader and MkII for The Inquisitor.

You see what I mean though, right? There's tons of ways to tweak the specifics (and even the pilots in question); the key is that we finally have a sub-30pt ace to go alongside the pair of classic imperial 30-somethings.

Heck, he'll do great alongside a pair of modestly upgraded Bounty Hunters, too. Cutting out that last 5ish points and still having a viable ace opens up a lot of design space for the rest of the squad.

So if i understand the Inquisitors ability will Scum Boba always get a reroll when defending against him?

I don't believe so. Fett's ability deals with number of ships that are at range one of him. It has nothing to do with the range the attack is coming from.

I don't know.  It got 2 shield and 3 agility, boost, a missile slot and a Guidance`computer.   Which turns all focus to hits on missiles and torps as a mod.     Seems pretty good to me (It's the ordnance fix everyone is looking for.

Also when attacking the inquisitor always counts everyone at range 1 from all ranges, that's nasty.   Lastly, the xx23 which gives targets locks to all friends within range 1 and 2.

I think this ship is super nasty!!

And it looks **** cool too!

:lol:

So if i understand the Inquisitors ability will Scum Boba always get a reroll when defending against him?

I don't believe so. Fett's ability deals with number of ships that are at range one of him. It has nothing to do with the range the attack is coming from.

your right 

My 2 cents is, even though I really don't enjoy playing Imperial, this is an incredibly welcome addition that should shake up standard builds.  The Inquisitor provides a survivable, hard hitting small ship that doesn't cost 40+ points.  The Imps don't have anything like that save for Soontir basically, and now you can have 2 P.I.T.A. little buggers flying around and still afford a third large ship or a couple extra smaller ships.  Or an Emperor Lambda? 

It also looks neat and steers this game back at least a little bit out of the dark and terrifying depths they dug into the EU for Wave 7.

My 2 cents is, even though I really don't enjoy playing Imperial, this is an incredibly welcome addition that should shake up standard builds.  The Inquisitor provides a survivable, hard hitting small ship that doesn't cost 40+ points.  The Imps don't have anything like that save for Soontir basically, and now you can have 2 P.I.T.A. little buggers flying around and still afford a third large ship or a couple extra smaller ships.  Or an Emperor Lambda? 

It also looks neat and steers this game back at least a little bit out of the dark and terrifying depths they dug into the EU for Wave 7.

Soontir, Vader and even Echo can all be usefully built for the ballpark region of 35-ish points.

Trouble is, they are all competently built at 35 points, and suffer quickly if you try to go any lower. Echo and Whisper can fatten up drastically, but none of the current Imperial aces can really thin down without feeling it.

This is a PS 8 3 attack, 3 agility ship that has plenty of solid options at 30ish, possibly even a little less. That frees up some very critical point totals for, ahem, other Imperials to capitalise on. It's going to be exciting!

Only trouble I have then is wondering whether those 34 points wouldn't have done better as, well, Carnor Jax. Or another one found to be Soontir Fel. It's not that it's a bad build to go that way, it's that I worry that his special ability (Which is effectively "Have the firepower of an interceptor", remember) starts to lose out the higher you go in point cost to an actual interceptor with a special ability. :)

Only trouble I have then is wondering whether those 34 points wouldn't have done better as, well, Carnor Jax. Or another one found to be Soontir Fel. It's not that it's a bad build to go that way, it's that I worry that his special ability (Which is effectively "Have the firepower of an interceptor", remember) starts to lose out the higher you go in point cost to an actual interceptor with a special ability. :)

Yeah, I have to agree. And of course, it's still well below the interceptor too - no reward for scooting right up behind your opponent at range one and letting it rip.

Inquisitors will be far mor stand offish for this reason, i should think...

While very excited for the toy box that the Ghost will be, I am super excited for the Inquisitors TIE. Not only do I think it's a cool looking ship, out could be the coolest ship to build individually yet! Any ship that offers you the question between Push the Limit and Autothrusters from the get go is off to a great start. Throw a missile selection on top of that, or the possibility to bring a small swarm of them at what will probably be somewhere between 15 and 19 points (broad speculation) and all the cool things that can interplay and man ooh man. To me this is the first true multi-role ship in the game despite its low-ish health. Waiting for the dial reveal to really tell if FFG didn't go overboard on this one. Hoping for a lot of low speed red maneuvers to have the first ship that generally requires fast speeds as the norm. It's fun to imagine the pilots slamming the throttle back to full close and freaking out that they still will hit that asteroid. :)

While very excited for the toy box that the Ghost will be, I am super excited for the Inquisitors TIE. Not only do I think it's a cool looking ship, out could be the coolest ship to build individually yet! Any ship that offers you the question between Push the Limit and Autothrusters from the get go is off to a great start. Throw a missile selection on top of that, or the possibility to bring a small swarm of them at what will probably be somewhere between 15 and 19 points (broad speculation) and all the cool things that can interplay and man ooh man. To me this is the first true multi-role ship in the game despite its low-ish health. Waiting for the dial reveal to really tell if FFG didn't go overboard on this one. Hoping for a lot of low speed red maneuvers to have the first ship that generally requires fast speeds as the norm. It's fun to imagine the pilots slamming the throttle back to full close and freaking out that they still will hit that asteroid. :)

You have the cart and the horse the wrong way around.

We have no clue about the dial yet in lore it's worse that the advanced so you may need that mod slot for the mkII engine to even consider PTL.

Someone pointed out on the forum that the dial had at least a green four forward. For whatever that's worth. Even so that's just further proving my point. Do I take the hull upgrade for meta? Autothrusters? Daredevil and Experimental Interface? Or as you point out maybe you need a MkII engine? I did get a little excited and screwed up what cards I said. Ha-ha Lol! Any who, very exciting to see what this guy brings to the table!

:D

Yeah, I have to agree. And of course, it's still well below the interceptor too - no reward for scooting right up behind your opponent at range one and letting it rip.

Inquisitors will be far mor stand offish for this reason, i should think...

The 34-point build with Proton Rockets has five very good reasons to scoot up behind his opponent and let rip.

Plus, he can take the Focus/TL combo. That will both greatly enhance his potential damage compared to most interceptors, who can only modify focus results, as well as allow him to just spend the TL while keeping the focus/evade tokens for defense. 

Two shields also means he's slightly less vulnerable to standard crits than a regular interceptor. If a hit/crit combo get through his green dice, he'll still only take shield damage.

as above

inquisitor is less intercepy (less PS than soonts, no free focus after even b-roll and boosting) than an interceptor, but he's also far more reliable i.t.o dice (shields, 1 more total health unless SU soonts for 36 total; TL) and can spit out far more damage (TL re-olls, range 3 shot counting as range 1; prockets)

Edited by ficklegreendice

as above

inquisitor is less intercepy (less PS than soonts, no free focus after even b-roll and boosting) than an interceptor, but he's also far more reliable i.t.o dice (shields, 1 more total health unless SU soonts for 36 total; TL) and can spit out far more damage (TL re-olls, range 3 shot counting as range 1; prockets)

He's not there to replace Soont's job, IMO.  Soontir does his own thing and can sustain himself very well.  This cat just needs a good support ship or squad to follow and assist either offensively or defensively.