Sign in to follow this  
Mooknee

Favorite art?

With each book comes various new art pieces that look amazing and tell a story on their own. What is your favorite piece? (Funny or serious)

One of my favorite is on page 274 ... Except I picture her holding coffee. :)

I have two:

1. The picture that goes with the outline of Battle Meditation, it really puts the whole spirit of the power in focus.

2. The picture of the two duelists fighting ON TOP OF A STAR DESTROYER in spacesuits! I remember seeing the fight on one of the preview articles, but I had no idea the context of the situation would look so awesome!

Also: WHERE IS THE ARTBOOK, FFG? I WILL PAY MONEY FOR IT!

I think my favorite is the one of Ahsoka on pp. 40-41.  She is still young, but she looks like a badass.  Leia on pp. 14-15 is really good, too.

As far as non-portraits go, I really like the one of the Twi'lek family on p. 287.  There's a very bewildered look on mom's face that you know will turn to horror once she finally processes what just happened.  That one image is the start of a character's backstory or even a story arc seed (Twi'lek family hires PCs to take child to contact, protecting him/her from Imperial hands along the way.  Contact could be a member of the Rebellion or another Force user rumored to be hiding out on a remote world).

Meant to comment, but forgot...

The picture on p. 354 shows one sly Rodian. 361 just shows a Kel Dor and a Pau'an just sitting, talking, but it's really kind of neat; the artist got the facial expressions really well. P. 376-77 has a beautiful spread, and a page over on 379 features a nice waterfall scene. There are plenty others -- easily the best of the three books, I think.

On a related note, does anyone have the Species lineup images? Not the one of them all clustered together, but straight out of the book.

I have to give a special shout-out to the fact that the GM section opens with a big text reading "The Game Master" accompanied by Palpatine in full on cackling super-villain mode. I can't help but feel they are trying to tell me something. :)

Other than that lovely piece of artwork, most of it is stellar but I will give a particular shout-out to the nightmare on pg. 224 accompanying the section on Death. I do not think its name is "Binky".

I'll also praise the slight expression of frustration on the face of the Twi'lek trying to meditate whilst his shipmates have a row and hammer things in the background. That's a PC party right there.

I also liked the quiet realism of the big-headed guy on pg. 135 opening the Talents section and the small lightsabre battle on pg. 215 which looked 'Meh' as a small bit of preview art but now looks fantastic when you see the full thing and realize its taking place on the outside of a Star Destroyer flying through an asteroid cloud.

Finally the noblewoman opening the section on pg.341 for sheer everything. She looks like Padmé's more sultry cougar mother. Which is a good thing, btw. And in my head-cannon explains why Padmé turned out so darn prim.

Edited by knasserII

2. The picture of the two duelists fighting ON TOP OF A STAR DESTROYER in spacesuits! I remember seeing the fight on one of the preview articles, but I had no idea the context of the situation would look so awesome!

This. That picture just blew my mind. I want a giant-sized poster of that to hang on my wall.

When I turned to page 46 and actually examined the art closely enough to realize who that is... that was a great moment :D

I hadn't noticed. I checked it again after your post and it made me laugh. Yep - that's definitely him.

This. That picture just blew my mind. I want a giant-sized poster of that to hang on my wall.

No question, no contest.  That is a Game (and Gamemaster) inspiring image.

That piece makes GMs want to figure out ways to do stuff like that in their games.

I'm with Bayard91 - I would love that inside cover splash as a desktop background. Anyone know which artist made that, and if I could find it in such a resolution?

I don't think it's available in high resolution prints (what I would want for a wall), but if you just want a desktop image for your computer you can find a lot of the official artwork on Deviant Art.

http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Force-and-Destiny-513038909

http://anthonyfoti.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Force-and-Destiny-Ahsoka-Tano-542027635

http://anthonyfoti.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Force-and-Destiny-Home-550007046

http://clynac.deviantart.com/art/Imperial-Walkers-44453433

http://jakemurray.deviantart.com/art/Inner-Peace-is-Overrated-548142792

Edited by knasserII

I'll also praise the slight expression of frustration on the face of the Twi'lek trying to meditate whilst his shipmates have a row and hammer things in the background. That's a PC party right there.

It's on p. 312 and is my absolute favorite. It's also not a coincidence that it's in Chapter IX: The Game Master under subsection "Managing the Party"...

The Sentinel image that is not the Cerean is very nice, in my opinion. The Mirialan on the Skills chapter page also looks very cool. Even with all the opportunities to pull "people with lightsabers" images here, though, I wasn't necessarily as sold on their art as in, say, Age of Rebellion. That said, I am VERY pleased that, with the death of the EU, they didn't cop out, and just use a bunch of stills from the movies. Whoever had that idea, thank you. There is some really cool art in these, and I'm glad we can still see some of it, when it is a bit hazy what all is still legal to use. That said, I suppose saying "Mara Jade never happened now" doesn't make a picture of a striking redhead, wearing a specific outfit, and carrying a very Mace Winduish lightsaber (I'm not saying it IS, but I've often thought it could be; those purple crystals are rare, no matter who's writing), any less illustrative of a point, and if we all happen to know who that really is, or used to be, if you don't like EU, that's just a bonus for those of us who have been at this longer. Very good art, for the most part, and glad it's art pieces, not photos, or shots of the Clone Wars cartoon.

To wrap up, I'm a simple sort of guy, and I think, in many ways, my overall favorite image of FFG Star Wars, that just comes to mind, is the Recruit from Age of Rebellion. I just like that drawing.

I have to give a special shout-out to the fact that the GM section opens with a big text reading "The Game Master" accompanied by Palpatine in full on cackling super-villain mode. I can't help but feel they are trying to tell me something. :)

Haha, I said to my friend who is GM'ing the games: "Hey, they got a picture of you here!" and showed that image to him. He wasn't impressed. :P

Also: WHERE IS THE ARTBOOK, FFG? I WILL PAY MONEY FOR IT!

It's called "Force and Destiny Core Rulebook" and you already did.  :P

I basically love everything in this book, especially the various nods to characters old and new we already know and love.  The one that I thought of first as "most iconic" is that lightsaber battle on the hull fo a star destroyer, but for some reason the one I think stuck with me the most is the one on 280.  I couldn't even tell you why, something about how much meaning and emotion is portrayed though just a single small image sticks with me.

Generally, CotG has a great feel, especially with the new race and beasts art.

Feels anime-inspired to me, which I like and going to include when we get there with my group.

Edited by RusakRakesh