Sign in to follow this  
Grayfax

VCX-100 "Ghost"

With the VCX-100 "Ghost" ship appearing in X-Wing Wave VIII, has this appeared in any of the FFG Roleplaying books yet?  Would like to see how it compares to some of the others, cause it would be fun to use as a roleplaying tool when faced with TIE Fighters...

With the VCX-100 "Ghost" ship appearing in X-Wing Wave VIII, has this appeared in any of the FFG Roleplaying books yet?  Would like to see how it compares to some of the others, cause it would be fun to use as a roleplaying tool when faced with TIE Fighters...

Nope. Just home brewed stuff.

I'm sure it will shortly.

I don't see anything I would argue with on the Ghost.  Lower encumbrance seems fair.  Hull seems a bit higher, but less system strain.  Mostly I need to find a working deck plan.  

lol @ "writers don't get mad if you ask questions"

lol @ "writers don't get mad if you ask questions"

Keith Kappel came on here every time one of the books he contributed came out and answered questions about them for days.

Max Brooke just did (or is going to do?) the Order 66 podcast about one of the books he contributed to.

They didn't ever get mad or follow anyone to other threads to try to attack other opinions they had. Where I have seen this happen to multiple people based on fan made stuff.

My comment stands. =)

I don't see anything I would argue with on the Ghost.

Just because this was stated and not addressed in my last comment.

Per canon (Ultimate Star Wars, page 292 lower left hand corner) they get the weapons wrong on the ship. The front load out is listed as "Two forward laser cannons are located underneath the gunner station"

From Spark of Rebellion:

Weapons: One Forward Turret-Mounted Heavy Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6;Critical 3; Range [short]),

One Dorsal Turret Mounted Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc All; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

This not only contradicts canon but it ignores the Lego (http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2014/01/star-wars-rebels-lego-sets-1.jpg) as well. =)

Additionally it would make more sense to have the cargo encumbrance to be 120 or 160 as it has to be a number reasonably divided by 4 as on the bottom right of that same Ultimate Star Wars page 292, it lists "Main Cargo Hold: Four holds are located on each corner of the ship." As they are equal size it is reasonable that they would be more of a reasonable number so 30 or 40 encumbrance per section.

Edited by GM Knowledge Rhino

With all due respect Rhino, we've never seen those canons used on the show. Infact when Hera does pull off some moves to fire at a TIE Fighter in one of the shorts, she seems to remotely fire the chin gun.

As for the Ultimate Star Wars guide, I don't have access to it so I cannot tell if it calls out The Ghost as having that or a stock VCX-100 because those two are very different things. Such as how the Falcon has two quad laser turrets, yet according to Edge the stock load out is two medium laser canons, and ignoring a LEGO model which is built around play features is hardly a big loss.

Thrice, balance needs to be considered. It's very easy to simply copy the YT-1300's stat block and simply using that, however sources have cited it as being somewhere between the 1300 and the 2400 and so you look for a space in between. You can't make a ship to be a definite choice, every ship should have its pros and cons.

Having turrets instead of mounted weapons also means it gives the crew the chance to fight while the pilot flies. Don't forget that as per rules unless the pilot has the master pilot talent, they can either avoid being hit (through gain the advantage) or they can fire. If you give the pilot the ability to fight, he will mostly dominate, I've seen it in my own games where the crew are left sitting around because the pilot says "Nah, I can just shoot them myself."

With all due respect Rhino, we've never seen those canons used on the show. Infact when Hera does pull off some moves to fire at a TIE Fighter in one of the shorts, she seems to remotely fire the chin gun.

There’s at least one scene in which Ezra is shooting the chin cannons, but I agree that they should also be able to be fired remotely.

But I do agree that pilots can dominate the scene if you let them take all the available actions. As a GM, that’s generally something that I would think you would want to avoid, if you can. So, turrets for Gunners, people doing Fire Control actions, Technicians repairing damage, etc….

With the same amount of respect, I will point out that Disney specifically called out at Star Wars Celebration that the Ultimate Star Wars book was canon, so regardless if it was seen on screen or not, the owners of the intellectual property decided this was the listing they wanted for their starship.

I fully appreciate that at the time you had not known this, that does not make the book or its data or my typing exactly what it stated incorrect.

The encumbrance is subjective and so that is fine that you and I differ there, though with 4 pods and 130 available that leaves a weird 32.5 encumbrance per pod, which makes zero sense. At very minimum changing it to 132 would be divisible by 4 evenly, 140 would make it 35 per, which also makes sense.

I have to echo what Ebak said above:

As for the Ultimate Star Wars guide, I don't have access to it so I cannot tell if it calls out The Ghost as having that or a stock VCX-100 because those two are very different things.

It would help if someone who has access to that book could post a scan or picture of the page in question, so that we could be sure whether they’re talking about the stock VCX-100, or if they’re talking about The Ghost in particular.

With regards to toys, it makes sense that they would want to do The Ghost instead of a stock VCX-100, because who wants to play with a stock VCX-100 if you’re pretending to be a cast member from Rebels?

OTOH, the FFG guys have good reason to be very accurate with their ships, and they have good reason to do something that represents both a stock VCX-100 as well as The Ghost. They likewise show dual cannons of some sort in both the chin turret as well as the dorsal turret.

So, without having a definitive alternative source available to a wider audience, it’s hard to say who is more correct.

The YT-1300 in the EotE CRB does not have dual-quad laser turrets or a .5 hyperdrive as it's a stock vessel and not the Millennium Falcon.  Likewise the VCX-100 in SoR is a stock ship which was open to group interpretation. Of course, if you have a grumpy astromech around you can modify the ship to your heart's desire  ;)

I'm really looking forward to the official FFG version as well. At least we have the model coming soon.

The YT-1300 in the EotE CRB does not have dual-quad laser turrets or a .5 hyperdrive as it's a stock vessel and not the Millennium Falcon.  Likewise the VCX-100 in SoR is a stock ship which was open to group interpretation. Of course, if you have a grumpy astromech around you can modify the ship to your heart's desire  ;)

I'm really looking forward to the official FFG version as well. At least we have the model coming soon.

Actually, if you read the description closely, the YT-1300 stats in the Edge Core are not for the stock vessel either. It states that the stock version only has a single turret, not the two turrets in the stats.

Yes, the chin gun is the forward mounted turret. The Dorsal turret is the turret on top of the ghost. However you were talking about the twin laser canons you claim are fired on the show. I've seen Rebel Resolve and went to the timestamp you mentioned and saw nothing, so...wait...why the hell am I arguing this!? Since when does this matter!? If you're a GM you can wave your magic GM wand and suddenly woosh it has twin laser canons!