Sign in to follow this  
xanderf

Soooo....nobody commenting on ALL scum ships getting a cloaking device?

Without ACD, cloaking is purely defensive as ships that are cloaked can't attack.  No worries.

And this is what needs to be remembered. For some reason, I think we are all forgetting how, despite our minds telling us otherwise (Thank you ACD Phantoms for messing with a number of us), that cloaking is NOT an every turn action. It's actually a very situational (though effective) action.

At first, I thought this upgrade was a total toss away. But then I read over it again.

And then again.

And then I read the posts in this thread. And I've decided.... it's a worthwhile upgrade.

While the toss away factor blows, ideally, you don't WANT to use this more then once or twice a game as is because you wont be getting shots when you do. Chances are you get 2 or 3 cloaks in before it drops on ya, and those extra evade dice are guaranteed for at least 1 round even if you do roll the eye (sidenote: Think this has to be run with stygium to be effective). And when you do use it- TADA!- You have a much better chance to get out clean in a rough positioning round, and as a bonus, you get to reposition nicely for next turn, whether before or after dials are set!

The die roll makes it wonderfully scum. It doesn't ruin it by any means.

the die roll imo just makes it bad game mechanics

feedback is wonderfully scum, deadman's is wonderfully (my kind of) scum, this is just unneeded rng

the card will still work fine mind, if you're using it purely for repositioning purposes. Those who'd want to combine it with stygium to augment the normally pathetic defenses+ maneuverability of certain aces (looking at you, cobra) are going to be screwed over by forces outside their control (unless they're cheating ofc :P)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Nah, unique is perfect - you don't really want 7x Binarye Cloakers on the table. Even with the things burning out, that's just tedious to shoot to bits.

Twin-cloaking brobots would also inspire headaches. 5AGI+autothrusters is a heck of a bug-out button!

Regarding complaints about RNG: Every single Illicit slot has been fundamentally disposable. I'd much rather a 25% failure rate every round than a "Use once and discard the card", which was honestly what I was expecting. (I suspect token-thieving 4AGI Palobs ruined that version. :P) What it really means is you cloak a round before you expect to get into combat, rather than the Phantom's classic 1-hard-and-cloak on turn 1 to guarantee it was never at risk. If the Phantom's cloak lets it swim like a submarine, the Scum edition lets you... hold your breath.

Edited by Reiver

Twin-cloaking brobots would also inspire headaches.

Then I guess it's a good thing it's not even possible to have one brobot cloaking, eh?

I should have made clearer that I suspect Brobots as the #1 reason for making the thing 'small ship only'. A cloaking Firespray or ex-freighter... ehh, annoying, but less earthshattering. Brobots? Oh dear.

Let's play a little game called: "how many green dice can I get?"

So far the interseptor dude that gets a bonus at range one is winning :P

Virago behind an asteroid At range 3 with a stealth device and cloaked. Why not throw a bodyguard in there too. If my math is correct that's nine ****ing agility. Nine....

I guess small ship only makes sense, after all they were referring to a large ship when they said "no ship that size has a cloaking device".

lol

The quote is

"No ship that small has a cloaking device."

But... now they all do...

I guess small ship only makes sense, after all they were referring to a large ship when they said "no ship that size has a cloaking device".

lol

The quote is

But... now they all do...

poor needa got it backwards

no ship that large has a cloaking device!

lol

The quote is

To be fair, we don't see any large ships in the movies with a cloaking device, either...

In the crazed excitement of the spoilers yesterday, I completely missed that it is unique. I'm glad frankly, didn't really want to buy a half dozen GA-1's.

Love the scummy nature of it.

Xizor can save it until the end game when his minions are dead.

N'dru will be quite a fun pilot for this.

It can pair with Experimental Interface quite nicely. Predictability depends on dial.

This could help Mux live in Tiberious' feedback swarm.

Its already be said but SPA will allow ships without native evade which is neat.

IMO, this device would be much better if it required you to roll an eyeball on an evade die instead of an attack die.

IMO, this device would be much better if it required you to roll an eyeball on an evade die instead of an attack die.

I don't get it.

doesn't really matter since the odds of a focus result is the same for both attack and defense dice and that is 2 out of 8. Quite frankly you could roll either a green or a red die and I probably wouldn't notice.

I don't get it.

it would piss me off, for sure :P

same 25% **** yes, but you know the reds are derpy **** that just screw up from time to time; the greenies are out to get you.

I don't get it.

it would piss me off, for sure :P

same 25% **** yes, but you know the reds are derpy **** that just screw up from time to time; the greenies are out to get you.

The eyeball results on my red dice are close to 100% as long as I only have a target lock on the defending ship.