Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Inquisitor's TIE vs TIE Advanced

Like i said earlier the non titled ones will serve best as barrel boosting blockers being the cheapest ship to have both those actions they can easily position themselves in the most annoying places. With the title it becomes worth it to toss autothrusters on them turning them in to a swarmable damage sponge that can match fat Han in terms of guaranteed evades while having much higher agility and a target lock to go with their evade to help with their relatively low attack.

Ugh.....the title thing can easily be settled.  Common sense says that the Prototype can't take the X1 title as it would reduce the Tie Advanced X1 to an almost pointless state.   Still, there are a few people that want to ignore common sense.   So....this is for them.  

If you look at the V1 title card, it says, " TIE ADV PROTOTYPE ONLY TITLE".   

It does not say TIE ADVANCED.  It means that this title only works on the TIE Adv. Prototype and not on the TIE Advanced X1.  They are separate and distinct.  Just saying Tie Advanced does not equate TIE Adv. Prototype.     

OK....that's all I'll say on the matter (I hope).   Just let it go so we can get into a real discussion as to what this ship is like.  I really like those discussions and think a lot of people have gotten it right.  

This ship is in-between the Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, and Tie Interceptor.  It is not going to replace any of them.  It is a mix of them.  I will assume it has a dial that is between a Tie Fighter and an Interceptor.  It might even have the same dial as the Interceptor (or close to it).  That's OK as it's not the same ship.  The huge difference is the attack dice of only 2 vs. 3.  The Tie Interceptor is superior in attack in that way.  If you want a high attack ship, you go for the Tie Interceptor.  The Interceptor costs more points and is a nastier ship.  The V1 will get TL and able to fire missiles, though.  Not always used, but there will be times when you will find this worth it in some lists.  

The Tie Advanced has the systems upgrade and will cost more points.  Overall, the Tie Advanced will be superior in about every way, except movement.  The named pilots will be nasty and have ATC to make them deadly.  The Generics will be able to get Accuracy Corrector and use their actions for defense or movement.  The Tie Advanced will have a whole hull and shield point over the Prototype.  The V1 will have better movement, though, and be cheaper.  It will still get TL and fire missiles, but not as durable or deadly as the tank that is the X1.  

I feel sorry for those people that missed out on Waves 1-2.  You didn't have to fly a ton of Tie Fighters and learn how good they are.  So many people don't see beyond the Academy or Obsidian.  They think you have to fly Tie Fighters in formation to make them worthwhile.  These players never found the love of a bunch of mid-PS pilots zipping and barrel rolling all over the place and causing trouble.  I LOVE Tie Fighters.  Their movement is great and they can get all over the battlefield.  They are good arc dodgers.   OK...not GREAT like the Interceptors, but good.  A good player can really flummox an opponent and get their Tie Fighters surrounding their ships and out of firing arcs.  Yes, the humble Tie Fighter can be one shot, but they are cheap enough that it doesn't cripple your list.   The V1 enters at this point.  It's more survivable than a Tie Fighter as it's got the extra hit.  Two Shield and two Hull will be better than 3 Hull and 1 Shield most of the time (yes, Proton Bombs and Adv Homing Missiles are there, but not all the time), especially with all the crit dealing going on.  We already know the dial is better with the 4 green forward, but it will probably have better stuff all around.  It will also have Boost to make it even more maneuverable.  This will be one nimble ship!  The two attack dice will be the same, but those used to Tie Fighters know that a good player can get within R1 often enough to boost that fire.  Also, the ability to TL will help.  Yes, there are times when you would rather do some maneuver or Focus and not take the TL, but there are times when you won't have anything better and will be happy to have that TL!  Lastly, the V1 title means if you grab that TL, you will get a free Evade!  This means you are fantastic at being offensive and defensive at the same time!  You are almost like a super Tie Fighter!  The V1 does cost more and you can't get as many as a standard Tie Fighter.  You will miss them more when they die.  

Overall, I see the V1 as being a very nimble knife fighter.  It won't be the tank that the X1 is.  It won't be as deadly as the Interceptor.  It will be nastier and more maneuverable than the standard Tie Fighter.  It's a great ship that will fill a nice role.   Maybe not a whole list of them, but maybe so.  You can use it as a better blocker, but I think you would be missing out on what this ship can do.  I think it will be best used as the higher PS generics instead of the PS 2 as it will actually be useful to move around and cause damage.  I think this is a great ship that can fill a slot as a beefed up Tie Fighter that isn't quite as expensive as the other versions.  I think it's a perfect niche for a good pilot to exploit.  

I agree that it doesn't seem possible from a balance perspective to have the x1 title on Prototypes. The Inquisitor with the ATC would be effectively 4 dice at all ranges, with no range 3 defensive bonuses, and autocrits instead of no crits like an HLC. So he'd be packing a 1 point, hyperaccurate, critting HLC. It's not even borderline broken, it's balls-out Gary Busey levels of insanity. You could pack this monster in a package that could come in at sub-30 points.

Considering that it lists the ship as TIE Adv. Prototype, I don't think it can take the TIE Advanced x1 title.

This is reinforced by the TIE/v1 title being TIE Adv. Prototype only.

Close, but no cigar.  Here's why.  The V1 is the most restrictive title, requiring three words.  TIE, ADVANCED, and PROTOTYPE.   

We have 3 tiers of TIE titles now.... one that simply requires TIE.   One that requires TIE and ADVANCED, and the V1, which requires all three.  The X1 requires only two - TIE and Advanced.  

Imagine a title that said "Interceptor Only" - it would by definition go on an M3A AND a TIE Interceptor.  

Perfect!

So by your logic, if there was ever a ruling applying to proton torpedoes, it would also apply to adv. proton torpedoes. After all, it has "Proton Torpedoes" in the title.

I think, going forward, that titles are going to me more important in carving out a ship's niche. Especially ships with similar statlines. The V1 title gives the V1 some extra life, with an offensive action. I also think it may be the ideal single missile carrier for the Empire. 

Ugh.....the title thing can easily be settled.  Common sense says that the Prototype can't take the X1 title as it would reduce the Tie Advanced X1 to an almost pointless state.   Still, there are a few people that want to ignore common sense.   So....this is for them.  

If you look at the V1 title card, it says, " TIE ADV PROTOTYPE ONLY TITLE".   

It does not say TIE ADVANCED.  It means that this title only works on the TIE Adv. Prototype and not on the TIE Advanced X1.  They are separate and distinct.  Just saying Tie Advanced does not equate TIE Adv. Prototype.     

OK....that's all I'll say on the matter (I hope).   Just let it go so we can get into a real discussion as to what this ship is like.  I really like those discussions and think a lot of people have gotten it right.  

This ship is in-between the Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, and Tie Interceptor.  It is not going to replace any of them.  It is a mix of them.  I will assume it has a dial that is between a Tie Fighter and an Interceptor.  It might even have the same dial as the Interceptor (or close to it).  That's OK as it's not the same ship.  The huge difference is the attack dice of only 2 vs. 3.  The Tie Interceptor is superior in attack in that way.  If you want a high attack ship, you go for the Tie Interceptor.  The Interceptor costs more points and is a nastier ship.  The V1 will get TL and able to fire missiles, though.  Not always used, but there will be times when you will find this worth it in some lists.  

The Tie Advanced has the systems upgrade and will cost more points.  Overall, the Tie Advanced will be superior in about every way, except movement.  The named pilots will be nasty and have ATC to make them deadly.  The Generics will be able to get Accuracy Corrector and use their actions for defense or movement.  The Tie Advanced will have a whole hull and shield point over the Prototype.  The V1 will have better movement, though, and be cheaper.  It will still get TL and fire missiles, but not as durable or deadly as the tank that is the X1.  

I feel sorry for those people that missed out on Waves 1-2.  You didn't have to fly a ton of Tie Fighters and learn how good they are.  So many people don't see beyond the Academy or Obsidian.  They think you have to fly Tie Fighters in formation to make them worthwhile.  These players never found the love of a bunch of mid-PS pilots zipping and barrel rolling all over the place and causing trouble.  I LOVE Tie Fighters.  Their movement is great and they can get all over the battlefield.  They are good arc dodgers.   OK...not GREAT like the Interceptors, but good.  A good player can really flummox an opponent and get their Tie Fighters surrounding their ships and out of firing arcs.  Yes, the humble Tie Fighter can be one shot, but they are cheap enough that it doesn't cripple your list.   The V1 enters at this point.  It's more survivable than a Tie Fighter as it's got the extra hit.  Two Shield and two Hull will be better than 3 Hull and 1 Shield most of the time (yes, Proton Bombs and Adv Homing Missiles are there, but not all the time), especially with all the crit dealing going on.  We already know the dial is better with the 4 green forward, but it will probably have better stuff all around.  It will also have Boost to make it even more maneuverable.  This will be one nimble ship!  The two attack dice will be the same, but those used to Tie Fighters know that a good player can get within R1 often enough to boost that fire.  Also, the ability to TL will help.  Yes, there are times when you would rather do some maneuver or Focus and not take the TL, but there are times when you won't have anything better and will be happy to have that TL!  Lastly, the V1 title means if you grab that TL, you will get a free Evade!  This means you are fantastic at being offensive and defensive at the same time!  You are almost like a super Tie Fighter!  The V1 does cost more and you can't get as many as a standard Tie Fighter.  You will miss them more when they die.  

Overall, I see the V1 as being a very nimble knife fighter.  It won't be the tank that the X1 is.  It won't be as deadly as the Interceptor.  It will be nastier and more maneuverable than the standard Tie Fighter.  It's a great ship that will fill a nice role.   Maybe not a whole list of them, but maybe so.  You can use it as a better blocker, but I think you would be missing out on what this ship can do.  I think it will be best used as the higher PS generics instead of the PS 2 as it will actually be useful to move around and cause damage.  I think this is a great ship that can fill a slot as a beefed up Tie Fighter that isn't quite as expensive as the other versions.  I think it's a perfect niche for a good pilot to exploit.  

hrm, I'm actually going to bet that these guys have a dial somewhere between the Advanced and the Defender.They are bulkier then the basic TIE so turning won't be as easy but they are faster.

I think, going forward, that titles are going to me more important in carving out a ship's niche. Especially ships with similar statlines. The V1 title gives the V1 some extra life, with an offensive action. I also think it may be the ideal single missile carrier for the Empire. 

This is a good point as well, it also has access to autothrusters which is probably the biggest thing separating it from the TIE Fighter and the TIE advanced.

Considering that it lists the ship as TIE Adv. Prototype, I don't think it can take the TIE Advanced x1 title.

Close, but no cigar.  Here's why.  The V1 is the most restrictive title, requiring three words.  TIE, ADVANCED, and PROTOTYPE.   

We have 3 tiers of TIE titles now.... one that simply requires TIE.   One that requires TIE and ADVANCED, and the V1, which requires all three.  The X1 requires only two - TIE and Advanced.  

Imagine a title that said "Interceptor Only" - it would by definition go on an M3A AND a TIE Interceptor.  

Perfect!

So by your logic, if there was ever a ruling applying to proton torpedoes, it would also apply to adv. proton torpedoes. After all, it has "Proton Torpedoes" in the title.

Apples and oranges.

Pilot cards are the only thing with a Ship ID line. Titles reference the Ship ID line. If Torpedoes had a Munitions ID line, and there were a card category that referenced a card's Munitions ID line, and both Proton Torpedoes and Adv. Proton Torpedoes had "Proton Torpedo" in their Munitions ID, then yes, an upgrade that required "Proton Torpedo" in the Munitions ID line of a card to affect it would work on both cards.

As for the "Interceptor Only" bit, you're right. Hence why FFG made the Royal Guard TIE "TIE Interceptor Only," and the Heavy Scyk title is "M3-A Interceptor Only."

Perfect!

Apples and oranges.

Pilot cards are the only thing with a Ship ID line. Titles reference the Ship ID line. If Torpedoes had a Munitions ID line, and there were a card category that referenced a card's Munitions ID line, and both Proton Torpedoes and Adv. Proton Torpedoes had "Proton Torpedo" in their Munitions ID, then yes, an upgrade that required "Proton Torpedo" in the Munitions ID line of a card to affect it would work on both cards.

As for the "Interceptor Only" bit, you're right. Hence why FFG made the Royal Guard TIE "TIE Interceptor Only," and the Heavy Scyk title is "M3-A Interceptor Only."

We have already explained multiple times why the idea of them getting access to a a title that was created for the sole purpose of buffing an extremely underpowered ship back in to usability is beyond stupid. Not only would it completely break the new ship but it would completely undo all that they /JUST/ did do make the Advanced relevant again. On top of this /every/ /single/ /title/ in the whole goddamn game is limited to one specific /model/. 

hrm, I'm actually going to bet that these guys have a dial somewhere between the Advanced and the Defender.They are bulkier then the basic TIE so turning won't be as easy but they are faster.

The V1 is actually slimmer than the Tie Advanced.  It looks more like a cross between a Tie Fighter and the Tie Advanced.  I think it will be more maneuverable than you think.  The Boost action also shows that.

The V1 is actually slimmer than the Tie Advanced.  It looks more like a cross between a Tie Fighter and the Tie Advanced.  I think it will be more maneuverable than you think.  The Boost action also shows that.

Well... The Punisher has boost as well so that doesn't really say much. And I was going by the lack of an innate evade action considering that the Defender is the only other AG3 ship that doesn't have one. Also in terms of lore the Prototypes heavy 'wings' limited its mobility in comparison to the advanced.

Correct.

I think non-unique titles are a way to give EVERY ship of a specific type a special rule.  They don't want to include special rules on the standard ships themselves, because that's what unique pilots are for.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I think many of you are overlooking something that might cause you to think the X1 title would over power the TIE Adv. Prototype.  IT DOES NOT HAVE AN EVADE ACTION.  Hence the V1 title to help.  Want to know what happens to a TIE without evade?  Ask a Defender pilot.  The V1 is a title to help for certain flying styles for the TIE Adv. Prototype. (That I will now call "TAP" for short)  The TIE Advanced (TA) can take the evade action, but does not have the boost action.  The X1 title is a good fit for both the TAP and the TA.  The TAP with X1 will feel a bit more like a Defender, while the V1 title will help the ship survive being a bit more aggressive.

I think many of you are overlooking something that might cause you to think the X1 title would over power the TIE Adv. Prototype.  IT DOES NOT HAVE AN EVADE ACTION.  Hence the V1 title to help.  Want to know what happens to a TIE without evade?  Ask a Defender pilot.  The V1 is a title to help for certain flying styles for the TIE Adv. Prototype. (That I will now call "TAP" for short)  The TIE Advanced (TA) can take the evade action, but does not have the boost action.  The X1 title is a good fit for both the TAP and the TA.  The TAP with X1 will feel a bit more like a Defender, while the V1 title will help the ship survive being a bit more aggressive.

Um... no. There will never be a circumstance where someone would choose a 1 point title over a -4 point title. Plus Systems are arguably the best upgrade slot in the game except for maybe crew. Additionally with the ability to equip autothrusters you are much less likely to need to use evade in the first place.

Edited by Princezilla

I think the ships just a pretty cool ship That is something between an interceptor and an advance. Keeping in mind that trading hull for a boost is comparable and it has two attack natively. The very least it will be is 16, 14 would step on the m3a, but considering it's a terrible vessel anyway I wouldn't be surprised. I am skeptical though, I get the impression it's cheap because it's a strat to get more missile platforms into the imperial army, cheap missile platforms s something they don't have yet.

Um... no. There will never be a circumstance where someone would choose a 1 point title over a -4 point title. Plus Systems are arguably the best upgrade slot in the game except for maybe crew. Additionally with the ability to equip autothrusters you are much less likely to need to use evade in the first place.

I disagree.  I personally would fly The Inquisitor with the V1 title, that XX-23 missile, and a swarm of TIE Fighters.  Makes him hard to hit, and he should always have a TL AND an evade token.  The ability to reroll die is generally better than just an extra red with no rerolls.

Well... The Punisher has boost as well so that doesn't really say much. And I was going by the lack of an innate evade action considering that the Defender is the only other AG3 ship that doesn't have one. Also in terms of lore the Prototypes heavy 'wings' limited its mobility in comparison to the advanced.

You seem to look at it from a stat line perspective.  I'm looking at it from a model perspective.  Well, that and the tv show.  It looks not at bulky as the Tie Avanced and seems to fly similar to a Tie Fighter.  I guess we won't know until it gets released, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a good dial.  

I guess if I think it out, I see the Tie Adv. as being loaded out with all sorts of extras.  It's got systems, more hull, and more shields.  If I look at the V1, it's not got all the bells and whistles.  It's more Tie Fighter-ish.  So, they get some upgrades on the Tie Fighter.  It's got 2 shield, but it's a lot more fragile.  We know it can do a 4 green, but I don't think it can't turn.  That doesn't make sense for moving from a Tie Fighter.

Edited by heychadwick

You seem to look at it from a stat line perspective.  I'm looking at it from a model perspective.  Well, that and the tv show.  It looks not at bulky as the Tie Avanced and seems to fly similar to a Tie Fighter.  I guess we won't know until it gets released, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a good dial.  

I don't think its dial will be bad just with a green 4 forward it wouldn't be lore appropriate or balanced if it had the same turning flexibility as the Advanced. Its supposed to be the precursor to the Advanced and well before the Interceptor so I don't see it getting more then one set of green banks.

I think the main point against the prototype getting the X1 title is that it has a native boost action. You'd have to use up the modification slot and four points to add boost to a regular Tie Advanced. That's balanced out by the 4-point reduction in its system upgrade, and outside of the named pilots and one less hull, I'd struggle to come up with a reason to not just take the prototype with that title. I doubt ffg wanted the Advanced to become less of an attractive option right after releasing its big fix.

I think the main point against the prototype getting the X1 title is that it has a native boost action. You'd have to use up the modification slot and four points to add boost to a regular Tie Advanced. That's balanced out by the 4-point reduction in its system upgrade, and outside of the named pilots and one less hull, I'd struggle to come up with a reason to not just take the prototype with that title. I doubt ffg wanted the Advanced to become less of an attractive option right after releasing its big fix.

Again... IT CANNOT EVADE.  Fly a Defender to understand the challenge that will present this ship.  I don't see the X1 as an auto include at all.  The V1 is a much more powerful title on the Prototype.  I also see this as further evidence that the X1 can be used on the TAP.  It balances the two ships and gives them both a unique feel.

Edited by Stone37

I disagree.  I personally would fly The Inquisitor with the V1 title, that XX-23 missile, and a swarm of TIE Fighters.  Makes him hard to hit, and he should always have a TL AND an evade token.  The ability to reroll die is generally better than just an extra red with no rerolls.

Yet for the same cost you could have a free critical roll added on top of all of your other attack die. And it would once again make the Advanced pointless immediately after they just fixed it.

Yet for the same cost you could have a free critical roll added on top of all of your other attack die. And it would once again make the Advanced pointless immediately after they just fixed it.

That's GREAT!  If it gets a shot off....  2 hull and 2 shields with no evade is going to die quickly!  Green dice suck.  Ask any Defender pilot.

That's GREAT!  If it gets a shot off....  2 hull and 2 shields with no evade is going to die quickly!  Green dice suck.  Ask any Defender pilot.

I am a defender pilot :P greens are ok. But you are completely missing the point. The top ace for the prototype is almost the same price as one of the Advanced's generics. Who cares if you don't get evade when you can spam the crap out of them with powerful offensive upgrades that you will never have to pay more then one point for.

Again... IT CANNOT EVADE.  Fly a Defender to understand the challenge that will present this ship.  I don't see the X1 as an auto include at all.  The V1 is a much more powerful title on the Prototype.  I also see this as further evidence that the X1 can be used on the TAP.  It balances the two ships and gives them both a unique feel.

However, the Defender doesn't have a native boost, so arc-dodging in the prototype would at least net you an autothruster evade, for  a bit more durability if you're against a turret, or sticking at range 3. Add to that it seeming to be cheaper than the regular Advanced...

I'm not arguing against the V1 title being great, it's fantastic, just outlining the argument in favour of the prototype not being able to take the X1 title.