Sign in to follow this  
An Irishman

Nothing Armada #inflight

Nott the 1st time that FFG has left somber cries of dismay and it will nott be the last...Wave 2 was just a glimmer so that all eyes would be on X-Wings new wave and the long awaited Gozanti-class_cruiser...I can wait till X-Mas if need be to get Wave 2...By then the next wave will be envisioned and the trauma will start all over again...

One thing that the X-Wing Gozanti opens up is the possibility of it being an Imperial small ship in Wave 3+.

Nott the 1st time that FFG has left somber cries of dismay and it will nott be the last...Wave 2 was just a glimmer so that all eyes would be on X-Wings new wave and the long awaited Gozanti-class_cruiser...I can wait till X-Mas if need be to get Wave 2...By then the next wave will be envisioned and the trauma will start all over again...

One thing that the X-Wing Gozanti opens up is the possibility of it being an Imperial small ship in Wave 3+.

I think it fits more a squadron than small ship.

The In-Flight report video answered a lot of the questions I had. They are taking a cautious approach with Star Wars because the reset of the canon was / is still in flux so they needed to coordinate with LFL to decide where the products go next. 

I was critical that they didn't mention Armada in the report but that was only over their live tweeting. In the report they showed Wave 2 and he talked about his desire to have a large Star Destroyer on the table and that we're all close to having that. No mention at all of future products, not because it's not successful, but I think due to the canon reset and the embargo on the Force Awakens announcements. For example, a lot of people know what an Interdictor-Class ship is from past games, etc. But does an Interdictor exist in the new canon? LFL takes this stuff that seriously so I think these types of questions get batted around between FFG and LFL.

Overall it was another impressive In-Flight report, Wave 8 looks great, other non-SW games received great receptions (the Warhammer Adventure Card Game got an interesting reaction), and the company is stronger than ever. Like they said, if you want to wait in line on Midnight for Star Wars Toy Day, they'll have something cool for us. 

See you in line!

PURE SPECULATION

What if wave 2 has been delayed for a positive reason?

What if there is a Wave 1.5?

What if that wave was episode VII ships?

Why would that happen?

What's more important, getting old ships through production or new ones tied to a VERY large movie release?

I think it fits more a squadron than small ship.

Given the huge X-Wing == small Armada correlation with the CR90 and the Raider, I think that FFG probably would disagree with that sentiment.

Yup, looks like the Gozanti will be about the same size as the CR90 in Armada. Can't wait to get it. Theres almost enough new ships in Rebels to create a full wave and honestly I would like to get those ships before anything from Episode 7.

I was critical that they didn't mention Armada in the report but that was only over their live tweeting. In the report they showed Wave 2 and he talked about his desire to have a large Star Destroyer on the table and that we're all close to having that. No mention at all of future products, not because it's not successful, but I think due to the canon reset and the embargo on the Force Awakens announcements. For example, a lot of people know what an Interdictor-Class ship is from past games, etc. But does an Interdictor exist in the new canon? LFL takes this stuff that seriously so I think these types of questions get batted around between FFG and LFL.

The Interdictor has already shown up in several of the new novels, including Heir to the Jedi and Tarkin. So it is canon. But your larger point about EU material is well-taken.

Still, I hope such back and forth between LFL and FFG doesn't cause too many delays in creating and releasing new Armada content. Given that there are EU ships already in the game, Xwing just announced more EU ships, and the CCG just released a pack featuring Thrawn on its cover, hopefully they'll put players desire for more ships ahead of LFL's uncertainty about what they do or do not want to remain canon. This game's suffered enough delays as it is, and if FFG has an all-EU Wave III ready to go then I say "Make it so!"

I rather liked the new Star Trek. More importantly my wife thought they were awesome, and she hated all past Star Treks. It may not be what tha hard cores wanted, but it made one hell of a movie experience.

Star Wars will be great, and I think JJ is well on his way.

Based on their recent behaviour, FFG seems to not preview the *next* release wave until the current wave is about to hit. Wave 7 for X-Wing was available in limited quantities at GenCon, and is apparently getting ready for their general release, so it seems logical that they had X-Wing Wave 8 ready to show off at InFlight. So in my opinion, this makes sense that there's no new release information for Armada yet. If they've had to juggle production schedules to make the E7 toy plastic space ships fit into their distribution plans, it's just unfortunate for all their existing games and add-ons. I'm sure that once Wave 2 Armada is getting ready to ship for general distribution, that they'll release details of the next release wave.

I liked the first new Trek over the second one (come on... couldn't they come up with something other than a remake of Wrath of Khan, possibly one of the best movies ever)?

I didn't like the new Enterprise design... I'm going to say because I had very strong attachments to the original series. Dad would keep us up till the local PBS station ran an episode every Saturday night as a kid.

And that lens flare... I'll walk out of Episode VII if it's Trek like levels of lens flare.

How do think they fold in EP7+ ships into the existing game? It's 30 years later and the new stuff should be better tech which equals power creep in the game potentially. For X-Wing I think they could actually start with a new starter "X-Wing: The Force Awakens Base Game" with two new TIE's and the new X-Wing but there's the possibility that would alienate the existing players who have dropped big bucks. The 30 year jump in the time line makes it tough. I can see ships from the Anthology movies since those will be sprinkled before or in between the original movies so that can work from the time line perspective. 

How do think they fold in EP7+ ships into the existing game? It's 30 years later and the new stuff should be better tech which equals power creep in the game potentially. For X-Wing I think they could actually start with a new starter "X-Wing: The Force Awakens Base Game" with two new TIE's and the new X-Wing but there's the possibility that would alienate the existing players who have dropped big bucks. The 30 year jump in the time line makes it tough. I can see ships from the Anthology movies since those will be sprinkled before or in between the original movies so that can work from the time line perspective. 

Star Wars tech isn't like that. It's more on a plateau: a really powerful beam of plasma/light is pretty much always a powerful beam of plasma/light.

So, the New Order stuff isn't going to be intrinsically better in all ways. So they'l be able to squeeze in all the sequel stuff and not invalidate the original stuff.

From what FFG is doing so far with thier games leaves me to believe that all ships are a possibility...Sliding scale of the miniatures is also sliding with Eu , Canon and now the E7...Taking the what if scenario to a new level...There are many varieties to consider for expansion packs transport, assault craft and pirate...

I think it's simple and FFG has already set the precedent- new faction(s), with expansion packs that have some cards usable by all factions. Power creep is certainly potential as you note but I like FFG's track record with that so far.

I do think a new base game is a strong possibility but as long as there aren't exclusive cards in it not available in an expansion pack, I don't think any existing players will be alienated. (For either XWing or Armada.)

Star Wars doesn't have tech advances.. civilizations have shot laser beams, weilded lightsabres, and flew thru hyperspace for thousands and thousands of years..  the only tech advance was the Death Star, which was pretty much "make it SO big it can blow up a planet!".   

Star Wars doesn't have tech advances.. civilizations have shot laser beams, weilded lightsabres, and flew thru hyperspace for thousands and thousands of years..  the only tech advance was the Death Star, which was pretty much "make it SO big it can blow up a planet!".

They have tech advances, thus different TIEs, more powerful lasers on smaller ships, better targeting. . . A-Wings.

JJ Abrams scares me... Don't be in too much of a rush for Episode VII ships. They could be like what he did to the Enterprise over in that franchise. Ugh.

Abrams does two things well: snappy (but often stupid) dialogue and fun (but usually stupid) action scenes. Plot? He doesn't care about it, and the collaborators he likes are awful at structuring sensible plots. Characterization? Eh...not terrible. I guess. 

But so here's the thing: Disney and LFL are not Paramount. They did not sit back during pre-production and production and let Abrams do whatever he felt like. The film won't be perfect, but it's going to be substantially better than his Star Trek efforts, because the overall level of competence of the people involved is way, way higher than it was in those films. Plus, you know, his terrible collaborators (Orci, Kurtzman) aren't involved.

How they handle EP 7 might give us some insight into how they handle the Clone Wars.  I personally would love to have a CIS faction with thier very cool ships and fighters.  It would also be nice to have a GAR faction.  Maybe that is how they can do Ep 7... New Republic (if it exists) and New Order factions with their own ships.  I would love to see some cross faction cardboard (line Scum and Villany for X-wing) allowing Imperial Neb-Bs, New Order ISDs, etc.

Thanks,
Duncan

Given that wave 2 has been pushed back a few months I'm not really that disappointed.

On a tangent now that the Gozanti has been spoiled for Xwing could we end up with a wave in Armada focusing on Carriers with rules to deploy fighters mid game?

How they handle EP 7 might give us some insight into how they handle the Clone Wars.

It's been made very clear in X-Wing that they will never do anything with the Clone Wars or Prequels. There's a number of statements from Chris the CEO of FFG, plus there's the fact that Disney doesn't want more Prequel stuff out there. That's why they killed the show.

On a tangent now that the Gozanti has been spoiled for Xwing could we end up with a wave in Armada focusing on Carriers with rules to deploy fighters mid game?

I doubt it, since the main carrier for Ties was the ISD. If the ISD can't act as an carrier, then it's unlikely you'll see other ships that can.

Plus as has been discussed before, there's a number of reasons why such rules would be bad for this game.