Sign in to follow this  
An Irishman

Nothing Armada #inflight

No one should of really expected anything.

Wave 2 just got sent to the printer, and won't be out for some time, so they're no where near ready to announce wave 3. That not due for a few months yet at the soonest.

There's simply nothing new to say about Armada at this time.

That actually is very,very disappointing. Any thoughts why?

• Nothing planned (probably not true).
  • Tied to EPVII (from what we've seen so far only cap ship in the trailers).
  • We're already saturated with Wave 7 and Imperial Raider hitting now, Wave 8, Imperial Assault Carrier, and Imperial Assault expansions (maybe, but as some have noted they've switched from X-Wing to Armada).
  • Wave 2 delayed to Q4 so why announce now (maybe).
  • Armada didn't sell well (I doubt that very much).
  • It's just not ready to show (maybe).
  • It will be announced tomorrow!!!! (my favorite reason) 
Edited by VaultDweller

Thinking about this more they didn't even show Wave 2 did they? That's not like them at all.

Something weird is going on. 

Since I only have the tweets to go by one of them mentioned FFG said Armada was their biggest launch in history. If that's true, why no coverage? 

Something weird is going on. 

Edited by VaultDweller

To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything - Yet I can relate to feeling disappointed because of how over saturated IA feels in comparison. It's probably not even that much of a discrepancy, but then that quick head tally happens. 2 boxes and 5 releases of ally/villain packs in a year?

I have no idea how healthy the IA skirmish scene is, but that's a whole lot to chew on, while our Imperials could go through the remainder of the year with two ships to build with.

Wait - I figured it out, I'm not disappointed - I'm envious! :)

Everything we know about wave 2 we've basically known since GenCon 2014.

The fact that FFG announced Wave 2 IMO waaaaay to early doesn't change anything. I mean if you look at Wave 8 it's prototypes models, that means Wave 3 for Armada isn't even to that state yet. What exactly are they going to say? 'We have some stuff planed for Wave 3 but nothing to show you yet.'

Thinking about this more they didn't even show Wave 2 did they?

Yeah they did. Even said that Armada was a huge success for them.

But how big the launch was doesn't change what information they have. It's not like Armada is the only game or even biggest game they have.

Edited by VanorDM

To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything - Yet I can relate to feeling disappointed because of how over saturated IA feels in comparison. It's probably not even that much of a discrepancy, but then that quick head tally happens. 2 boxes and 5 releases of ally/villain packs in a year?

I have no idea how healthy the IA skirmish scene is, but that's a whole lot to chew on, while our Imperials could go through the remainder of the year with two ships to build with.

Wait - I figured it out, I'm not disappointed - I'm envious! :)

Or do what I do... Play both ia and armada!

Seriously, imperial assault is a lot of fun. I don't play much skirmish, I prefer campaign mode. I am involved currently in 5 campaigns and love playing it every single time I can get it on the table.

if a choice comes up between armada or ia, I always pick armada, but am thrilled no matter which one I play. If you like the idea of building up groups with upgrades, a la xwing and armada, then ia skirmish will be right up anyone's alley.

Ffg is far and away my favorite game company as they have so many current games I enjoy playing. Xwing, armada, imperial assault, descent, Star Wars lcg just to name a small handful. Last weekend I was lucky enough to learn and play twilight imperium, another ffg game. Axis and allies in space!

Edited by Reiryc

Eh, it doesn't seem like FFG likes to spoil cards at conventions. Since we already know what ships are in Wave II, and it's too early for wave III, there's not a whole lot of information for them to give us. I guess they could add the base inserts today or tomorrow, which would give us a bit more information (Does Wave I have their base inserts?)

wait so they did or didn't acknowledge armada?

They've acknowledged it, I believe, they just haven't given us any news yet.

The fact that FFG announced Wave 2 IMO waaaaay to early doesn't change anything. I mean if you look at Wave 8 it's prototypes models, that means Wave 3 for Armada isn't even to that state yet. What exactly are they going to say? 'We have some stuff planed for Wave 3 but nothing to show you yet.'

Thinking about this more they didn't even show Wave 2 did they?

Yeah they did. Even said that Armada was a huge success for them.

But how big the launch was doesn't change what information they have. It's not like Armada is the only game or even biggest game they have.

Very true.  There's no real point in saying that they have no news, and there's no real reason for everyone to get their collective underpants in a twist.  Wave 3 will be announced when it's announced, and not before.

If you didn't expect anything for Armada at this Gen Con good for you. I on the other hand did and when our only Armada news for the convention has been bad news, Wave 2 not available until 4th quarter.. I'm going to voice my displeasure.

wait so they did or didn't acknowledge armada?

They did, said it was quite successful. Just had no new news at this time about it.

No news for their biggest game launch in history? My new theory as to why they said nothing is that they were playing it cautious to see how good it was going to sell before they went beyond Wave 2 and are now playing catch up for future products.

I on the other hand did

Your expectations are your problem, not mine and not FFG's. It's your own fault if you had an unreasonable expectation.

No news for their biggest game launch in history?

Those have nothing to do with each other. The fact that Armada was a huge launch doesn't change the development cycle.

FFG announced Wave 2 IMO waaaaay to early

Yeah, they made a mistake.

I hate to Monday AM QB it, but let's continue with the IA example and say that today's announcement of the "Return to Hoth" expansion does in fact release on time (lol?) within 2015. Think about how this forum would have absolutely erupted if Wave 2 was kept under wraps in a similar fashion and announced today as "already being manufactured, on your tables Q4!"

When I think about this some more, we are likely still experiencing the fallout from the initial Armada delays. Wave 2 was annouced at the developers' conference in Vegas, correct? Delays had plagued everything and Wave 1 was still sitting in a shipping container somewhere, so they jumped the gun a bit and decided to go ahead and chat up Wave 2 because you have to have something positive to say. So while it seems slightly mishandled, I can't really blame 'em for it considering the launch circumstances.

I on the other hand did

Your expectations are your problem, not mine and not FFG's. It's your own fault if you had an unreasonable expectation.

VanorDM you're right they are my problem. And this is where I am voicing them.

The above post made me think about this. So I looked and you are in fact dead wrong about this.

Wave 2 was annoused at GAMA 2015, which took place in March of this year. So we've actually only known about it for 4 or so months, not a year +. This was still IMO too soon, but considering the issues they've seemed to have, and something they said at GenCon I think something happened to cause wave 2 to be delayed. Someone at GenCon said they were hoping to have it there, but that didn't work out.

No news for their biggest game launch in history?

Those have nothing to do with each other. The fact that Armada was a huge launch doesn't change the development cycle.

Well, it can, but we should really, really hope it doesn't. Aramada really does not need wave II getting rushed.