Sign in to follow this  
GAThraawn

Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids

-8 New Investigators - Now, from what I can tell, only 8 are left without new ones being created. Rita Young, Luke Robinson, Rex Murphy, Wendy Adams, Hank Samson, Minh Thi Phan, Roland Banks, and William Yorick.

Harvey Walters, Joe Diamond. Mandy Thompson and Monterey Jack are missing too!

[H]e described a sort of pool with a margin of mud that was marled with obscene offal; and in the pool a grayish, horrid mass that nearly choked it from rim to rim... Here, it seemed, was the ultimate source of all miscreation and abomination. For the gray mass quobbed and quivered, and swelled perpetually; and from it, in manifold fission, were spawned the anatomies that crept away on every side through the grotto. There were things like bodiless legs or arms that flailed in the slime, or heads that rolled, or floundering bellies with fishes' fins; and all manner of things malformed and monstrous, that grew in size as they departed from the neighborhood of Abhoth. And those that swam not swiftly ashore when they fell into the pool from Abhoth, were devoured by mouths that gaped in the parent bulk.

—Clark Ashton Smith, The Seven Geases

Abhoth ("The Source of Uncleanliness") resides in the cavern of Y'quaa beneath Mount Voormithadreth. It is a horrid, dark gray protean mass and is said to be the ultimate source of all miscreation and abomination.

Obscene monsters constantly form in Abhoth's gray mass and crawl away from their parent. No two of Abhoth's children are alike. In general, they are complex life forms, but the majority of them are simple-minded, acting on impulse. Their forms can be anything from amorphous blobs and singular body parts, to [strange] humanoids and monstrous mutants. Abhoth's tentacles and limbs grab many of them, pulling them back and devouring them. Most of those that escape simply wander off, only a few of them tend to their sire's needs. Abhoth has a twisted and cynical mind, and can communicate telepathically with others near him.

Abhoth is also mentioned in Colin Wilson's The Mind Parasites.

From Wikipedia's page on Clark Ashton Smith's deities.

Actually remind me Shhbby a lot… nasty thing…. Lovcraftian style!

Thanks for info was helpful!

-8 New Investigators - Now, from what I can tell, only 8 are left without new ones being created. Rita Young, Luke Robinson, Rex Murphy, Wendy Adams, Hank Samson, Minh Thi Phan, Roland Banks, and William Yorick.

Harvey Walters, Joe Diamond. Mandy Thompson and Monterey Jack are missing too!

And Jenny Barnes, and Kate Winthrop, and others.

Peter Egham meant that there are only 8 investigators left which were in Arkham Horror but not in AH core set.

Or just more AO content.  Descent is releasing a small box expansion that has no heroes or hero classes, just game content.  I can't see why EH could not have expansions that just add AOs and game content (maps, etc.)

Edited by C2K

#speculatingIsFun

Also note, that this Expansion will have a total of 12 new Expedition Encounters. Now I can imagine several possibilites

1.) Either Fantasy Flight gives us Encounter Cards for ALL the remaining, continent-specific City Locations (remember, that MoM already brought us Rome/Arkham/Sydney-Expedions, 2 each)

2.) We'll get 3 more City Expeditions, 2 Cards each, for ANOTHER 3 Cities, +6 Encounter-Cards for regular Expedition-Spaces

3.) They'll stick to Rome/Arkham/Sydney as being the only Cities, where Expeditions can actually happen, therefore providing us with 2 more Cards each for increased variety, +6 Encounter-Cards for regular Expedition-Spaces

4.) They wanna keep City-Expeditions rare, thus ALL 12 Expedition-Cards will relate to the regular Expedition Spaces (2 each, best case :D ).

Me, I don't like those City-Expeditions very much, I'm afraid. I always felt, that they kinda devalued regular Expedition Spaces (enough incentive already, to visit a City, no need to further buff them, imho). Plus, any effects from Expeditions are usually super-powerful, so I'm okay with them being a bit more rare (they feel more epic this way). So, hurrah, for more regular Expedition-Encounters! :)

Keeping my fingers crossed, since I enjoy those a lot.

Edited by diceman2k4

I'd also want new investigators, but I'd want the cards for arkham horror to be included as well.

I don't think they would just include them free BUT those new investigators might visit Arkham Horror as print on demand investigator pack, as event promos, or as a download from FFG site. That would be nice of them.

In the terrinoth games when new heroes were added to one game they sometimes included the cards for the other games.

I have seen that, but I doubt they'll do that for Arkham Horror Files - they already had opportunities.

On the other hand, it might increase sales of Arkham Horror which still has reprints, so here's hoping.

Edited by tsuma534

Mulletcheese,

CAS stuff is what made me love with all the "black" literature of that period. Just a small sample of his prose:

"The nostalgia of things unknown, of lands forgotten or unfound, is upon me at times. Often I long for the gleam of yellow suns upon terraces of translucent azure marble, mocking the windless waters of lakes unfathomably calm; for lost, legendary palaces of serpentine, silver and ebony, whose columns are green stalactites; for the pillars of fallen temples, standing in the vast purpureal sunset of a land of lost and marvellous romance. I sigh for the dark-green depths of cedar forests, through whose fantastically woven boughs, one sees at intervals an unknown tropic ocean, like gleams of blue diamond; for isles of palm and coral, that fret an amber morning, somewhere beyond Cathay or Taprobane; for the strange and hidden cities of the desert, with burning brazen domes and slender pinnacles of gold and copper, that pierce a heaven of heated lazuli."

Go for that! Be it Zothique or Xiccarph or Averoigne, everything he wrote is worth reading. One of my fave authors of all times

I'd also want new investigators, but I'd want the cards for arkham horror to be included as well.

I don't think they would just include them free BUT those new investigators might visit Arkham Horror as print on demand investigator pack, as event promos, or as a download from FFG site. That would be nice of them.

I still have my fingers crossed for another AH expansion to hit the maket, sooner or later. As long as the game is in print and the boards are active, I'll always have hope

And so we know 7 out of 8 investigators: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/10/under-the-pyramids/

I cast my vote on Ashcan Pete as the eighth one. Starting with Duke Unique Asset.

Or Jenny Barnes. Reckoning: Jenny gains a Funding condition.

Or possibly Amanda? Action: Improve 1 skill of your choice. Then impair 1 skill of your choice.

I'm so happy we're finally getting the core investigators.

Edited by tsuma534

Thematically correct, but improbable: Fundings appeared in MoM, and it's rather unlikely that an investigator appearing in expansion D needs components from expansion B (and I don't think there will be more Funding conditions in the new one)

Thematically correct, but improbable: Fundings appeared in MoM, and it's rather unlikely that an investigator appearing in expansion D needs components from expansion B (and I don't think there will be more Funding conditions in the new one)

Funding is a real nice counterpart for Debt, and I hope they'll reprint it sooner or later.

While Head Injury, Infection and many others will never seriously suffer from dilution thanks to generic "Gain a Injury/Madness/Illness condition" the Funding is prone. As far as I know there's only one card that gives a random Deal condition. Funding will become diluted unless they reprint it.

The same goes for Lost in Time and Space. I'm hoping for Luke Robinson to start with that one.

Edited by tsuma534

And so we know 7 out of 8 investigators: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/10/under-the-pyramids/

I cast my vote on Ashcan Pete as the eighth one. Starting with Duke Unique Asset.

Or possibly Amanda? Action: Improve 1 skill of your choice. Then impair 1 skill of your choice.

I'm so happy we're finally getting the core investigators.

Wait, where did we get verification on Joe Diamond? 

Also, if you want "new" investigators, keep an eye out for my custom ones that will be coming down the pipeline. They're a W.I.P. at the moment, but I'm very excited. They will be remakes of the investigators in the gallery in my signature, only designed for Eldritch instead of Arkham. 

Edited by Soakman

Wait, where did we get verification on Joe Diamond? 

In the summary picture there's an investigator that look like Joe (two guns is a signature of sort for him) and his name starts with "Jo". I think it's a safe bet he's ain't no Jonathan.

Edited by tsuma534

So confirmed by the news piece we have

Sister Mary

Hank Sampson

Harvey Walters

Mandy Thompson

Monterey Jack

In the image we can see

Joe Diamond's investigator sheet

Minh Thi Phan's investigator sheet

and the final investigator seems to be a blond woman with long hair, down in the lower right hand corner.

Who is she? Amanda Sharpe is my best guess going by hair color, but her glasses are missing. Thoughts?

We can also see that Nephren-Ka and Abhoth are the Ancient Ones as their sheets are in each of the images we've seen so far.

Regardless, I'm excited and want it NOW!

In the image we can see

Joe Diamond's investigator sheet

Minh Thi Phan's investigator sheet

and the final investigator seems to be a blond woman with long hair, down in the lower right hand corner.

Who is she? Amanda Sharpe is my best guess going by hair color, but her glasses are missing. Thoughts?

Ursula Downs?

I'm going with Sister Mary too for that token, and Ashcan for the eighth nomad. If the token's not Sister Mary, then Amanda Sharpe or maybe Kate Winthrop. But it does look like she's wearing a brown robe, which looks distinctly clerical.

Yes, looking more closely at Sister Mary's Arkham Horror investigator sheet. That woman in the lower right is indeed her.

And if they even split the sexes again, the 8th investigator will be a woman.

Edited by arlem