Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Dakotan

New info from Gencon:

That sort of looks like Mara Jade in the skimirsh mission card...

It is. Same art is used in one of the other games, LCG I think is where I saw it. 

Interesting. I'm still like 90% Sure they'll be sticking with canon only characters (With the exception of the ones they create themselves).  but Mara Jade would be cool in this game. 

They have used a ton of no longer canon characters in the LCG. I wouldn't be surprised to see some pop up here. 

I think that anything done by JJ Abrams should be declared non-canon. He already ruined Star Trek by refusing to read the lore and writing movies that so contradicted the universe that his movies were declared an alternate universe. He promised not to do the same with Star Wars and then did EXACTLY that - just calling it a different name "Legends". I really wish that they had used Joss Whedon (Firefly, Avengers) because he would have read all the Star Wars lore and brought it to life rather than dismissing it out of hand.

I think that anything done by JJ Abrams should be declared non-canon. He already ruined Star Trek by refusing to read the lore and writing movies that so contradicted the universe that his movies were declared an alternate universe. He promised not to do the same with Star Wars and then did EXACTLY that - just calling it a different name "Legends". I really wish that they had used Joss Whedon (Firefly, Avengers) because he would have read all the Star Wars lore and brought it to life rather than dismissing it out of hand.

A) Star Trek was planned as an alternate universe

B) The EU books etc needed to go. Star Wars needed a clean slate, EU was a mess. Good riddance I say. 

You are demonstrating a massive misunderstanding of the three universes. Star Trek, Star Wars, and this one (ie - reality)

JJ and the writers (Orci in particular), in relation in Trek thought it was extremely important to ensure that his movies were connected with canon but knew it would be too weird to just say 'here is a whole new cast as the same characters in the same time) - hence Spock Prime going to an alternate universe where it isn't unreasonable that things look and act a little different but are at their core the same. So, the alternate universe was in fact in service to canon, not thumbing it's nose at it

In relation to Star Wars - JJ had nothing to do with the decision to make things Legend. Disney / Lucasfilm created the LucasFilm Story Group to wipe the slate clean as it were to ensure thematic consistency and to weave story threads through ALL materials now and actually create a consistent and coherent universe. 

To declare all EU as 'Legends' status (opinions vary as to the quality of the bulk of EU material anyway) was a good move because it would have been herculean to

A) coordinate everything in the EU if it was treated as canon to ensure that all new projects fit in with all of that mess (the word mess is my editorial) 

B) expect that the majority of fans would be familiar with all the material - so you are either only peppering in minor fan service details or expecting vast background knowledge if you just play off of events that happened in a book written 15 years ago

I can't wait to find out what happened post ROTJ - but do you really want them to just film Truce at Bakura?.....I didn't think so

Edited by nathankc

That sort of looks like Mara Jade in the skimirsh mission card...

It is. Same art is used in one of the other games, LCG I think is where I saw it. 

Interesting. I'm still like 90% Sure they'll be sticking with canon only characters (With the exception of the ones they create themselves).  but Mara Jade would be cool in this game. 

They have used a ton of no longer canon characters in the LCG. I wouldn't be surprised to see some pop up here. 

All of the Legends content they've used in the other games is awesome and really well done. I love it. This game just seems to be leaning towards canon only since so far there is no Legends stuff (besides FFG originals). And we have "Royal Guard Champion" rather than Carnor Jax. 

Except Royal Guard Champion is a Legends thing. Never once did a Royal Guard Champion appear in the movies or Christmas specials, etc.

According to wookieepedia, these are the only appearances of an Imperial Sovereign Protector (aka Royal Guard Champion.) So unless any of them are non-legend and are straight up canon, I see no reason to think FFG won't use Legend material in the game.

Sword of the Empire

Dark Empire (First appearance)

Empire's End

Crimson Empire

Any idea why FFG can't sell Imperial Assault at Gen Con?

For the same reason they can't sell it on their website either.  It's a Board Game and they don't have the license to sell Star Wars board games.  All sales of IA product must go through Hasbro's distributors.

Thanks for the clarification.

Well (of course) the Wampa's have habitat snow, but it looks like the Snowtroopers don't. Which is weird in a lore standpoint, but oh well. Also, the snowtroopers aren't a copy of Stormtroopers.

From what I can make out. Elite snowtroopers have a reinforce cost of 3 (same as elite stormtroopers.) Surge: Pierce 2 and Surge: Focus, weaken. If I had to guess, they are more surge based than regular stormtroopers. Perhaps they get blue and yellow and than need to rely on the focus/green next turn to deal some damage?

Wampa: looks like an alternate to Nexu. Instead of pounce he can just move through people at no additional cost. Instead of bleed he gets stun.

Dengar: 7 threat cost! Holy smokes this villian is cheaper than regular royal guards! He has a +2 built in accuracy and only 1 other surge. His contempt ability looks like it gives him a bonus surge if the target has no negative conditions. Judging by this ability and the fact that he only has 1 surge option and built in accuracy, I'm betting Dengar rolls 2 red for attack. He seems to have some sort of theme with negative conditions. Though it looks like he can't really apply them on his own.

Leia: can only make out her top abilities. Interesting to note though is her (lowish) threat cost. It seems as if FFG has taken people critic in mind that characters like Han, Luke, etc weren't necessarily worth it during the campaign. She has some pretty good surge options so I'd guess she rolls 1 blue and 2 yellow. The same as a probe droid. Her top ability seems to be "action: perform an attack then choose a friendly figure." My guess is that figure either becomes focused or gets to attack her target as well. Also to note is that this is campaign leia, meaning that there are 2 versions of her.

Also yes those are HK assassin droids, it says on the back of the box as well as revealing that there are 16 new missions. 9 story missions, 3 side missions (probably allies) and 4 'threat' mission cards. This one confuses me since there are only 6 agenda cards which only means 2 agenda decks... so perhaps these decks have 2 mission cards in each? Also, 11 reward cards. This confuses me... Assuming that 3 of them are from the heroes side missions, the other 3 for unlocking allies, and 4 from these 'threat' missions... that leaves 1 reward card unattended. Perhaps one of the story missions give a reward like Descent did?

4 supply cards, 9 new item cards (3 per each tier? ) 18 imperial class cards. So that'd be... 2 new imperial classes. 17 deployement cards is interesting. Assuming each snowtrooper card is 3 figures. (Giving us 2 deployment cards) That'd be 3 for the heroes in skirmish, 2 for the snowtroopers, 2 for the HK droids, 2 for the wampas, 1 for the tank, 1 for dengar, 2 for leia, 2 for the rebel troopers and 1 for the general.

3+2+2+2+1+1+2+2+1= 16.  This either means that the general has two different card versions or the snowtroopers come in squads of 2. My money is on the later as that would make them an alternate option to the heavy stormtroopers.

Edited by patrickmahan