Sign in to follow this  
WWHSD

How do you mark your minis?

I like the notches in the bases. If I'm not planning on painting the minis, do you think I'd be better off just using a different color in the notch or coloring the outside of the bases and using white in the notch?

I like the notches in the bases. If I'm not planning on painting the minis, do you think I'd be better off just using a different color in the notch or coloring the outside of the bases and using white in the notch?

Good question. I think if I were not painting the minis (you should though, Sorastro's guides make it so easy and fun) I would pick up some paint sharpies and color the edge of the bases white red and black all the way around. It makes it really easy to pick out what groups are what on the table, then just use white to make notches on the red and black and black notches on the white. On the notches, I do them every quarter of the circle, so there are 4 sets on each mini, you can easily see them from any angle that way.

I'd like to paint them but I'm relatively sure that they'll look worse than they do unpainted and that then I'd need to worry more about how I pack and transport them.

Painting isn't actually as hard as I thought it would be, just time consuming. I'd recommend giving it a try, you might surprise yourself!

As an alternative my friend has just decided to spray all his units gold, and paint the base a solid color. I think the end result is pretty sharp for the amount of work involved!

http://i.imgur.com/MMb2nFL.jpg

That does look kind of sweet.

I had almost no painting experience when I started. Those storm troopers I posted are my first attemp using Sorastro's videos. There is a whole thread on here of people doing it. A little time, a little patience and a few washes (a type of paint) and any mini can look great on the table.

Go through the thread and watch a few videos. It's easier than you think

go for it, you may surprise yourself.  and if nothing else i promise they will look better than the current plastic colours.  there are some awesome examples shown in this forum and i wish i could paint as well as them.  however, i have loved painting them and while they aint gonna win any prizes for prettiness they look so much better than the plastic

I'm actually really surprised we didn't see 'tombstone' stands. They used them for the miniatures in XCOM, why not these?

Having said that, I base my sets differently (in-door, desert, forest, snow), and then have a base of that 'type' on the Deployment card to differentiate between the groups. Very thematic and rather cool.

-shnar

Personally, I've gone for red edges to bases for elite models, then stripes on weapons to mark unit numbers. one of our usual group is colour blind though so has trouble with red.

stormtroopers I went for different colour shoulder plates on one shoulder, red, Blue and purple and stripes for unit number. It's clear enough to spot which is which easily

Cool mini or not use plastic clip on bases for their games like Arcadia quest and Blood rage:

blood-rage-minis.jpg?w=530&h=276

Does anyone know if these work for imperial assault miniatures?

I went and tried after I saw this and the IA bases are just small enough that they dont 'stick' and slide right out, but that doesn't mean you couldn't put a small piece of tack on the bottom when using it. 

Cool mini or not use plastic clip on bases for their games like Arcadia quest and Blood rage:

blood-rage-minis.jpg?w=530&h=276

Does anyone know if these work for imperial assault miniatures?

I went and tried after I saw this and the IA bases are just small enough that they dont 'stick' and slide right out, but that doesn't mean you couldn't put a small piece of tack on the bottom when using it. 

Oh well maybe FFG will cook up something like this.

A friend of mine painted blue, purple, and red insignia on their shoulder armor for stormtroopers. Then he has one Royal Guards with red hue on the staff. His regular officers have blue rank symbols on their chests and the elites have red (I don't know how he did that). Blue/Red goggles on the regular and elite Saboteurs.

Me? I just took markers and colored the edge of the bases.

so for the multiple model squads, i started painting stripes onto the bases to represent each model separately. like for a squad of stormtroopers, i painted 1 stripe on the base for 1, 2 stripes for 2, 3 stripes for 3.

looks a bit cooler than those dorky stickers. I have been happy with the results so far.

I bought some wooden, holeless buttons, primed them then painted them different colours.  I then stuck some old warhammer 1,2 and 3 decals on them then varnished matt. The figures have a set of buttons matching their base colour.

I manage the damage offboard with these.

IMAG0276.jpg

Collage.jpg

I dont paint my minis. I lack skill and talent, and I like the "representative simulation" aspect of the solid grey minis.

The only units that get confusing for me are the Stormtroopers. I mark them with the numbered stickers and put the matching tokens beside the deployment card. I then stack the damage beside the token and not on the battle map.

I bought some wooden, holeless buttons, primed them then painted them different colours.  I then stuck some old warhammer 1,2 and 3 decals on them then varnished matt. The figures have a set of buttons matching their base colour.

I manage the damage offboard with these.

IMAG0276.jpg

Collage.jpg

Really like the idea of the shoulder markings!

I went down the route of painting the base edge and some distinctive indicator on the mini, then some white hash-marks on the base to indicate which unit it is.. (Admittedly, I've only just finished the Stormies)

Regular Trooper, 3rd unit

skUas4Ol.jpg

Elite Trooper, 1st unit

psSWvCUl.jpg

Group Shot - You can see the marks near the right foot of each model

OVqdvm1l.jpg

The stripes on the base works really well.  I guess you can repeat the stripe patter on opposite sides of the base as well so it can be seen from multiple angles.  With my shoulder pad markings I often need to pick them up to check what number in the squad they are.