Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Hutt Player Characters can`t have 5 in Brawn... Weird?

Hutt characters have base 3 in brawn and start out with 70 xp and can add 15 xp for extra obligation. Brawn 3 to 4 = 40xp; 4 to 5 = 50xp.
That is 90 xp, so a natural or starting hutt character can not, by the rules, have 5 Brawn and that is a bit weird to me.

I am usually good at thinking of characteristics and numbers as abstract, broad, overlapping or fluent, so with a little effort I have no problem thinking that Brawn means more than pure strength.

Maybe the mass, weight and build of a hutt, even a young one, may hinder it and have some indication on the Brawn too.

What do you think?

Edited by RodianClone

Hutts have very long lifespans. And, as a gastropod-like species, they seem to continue to grow throughout their life.

So, I would totally buy the concept that a “young” Hutt just isn’t old enough to be able to be that strong.

But maybe that’s just me.

Sure, but they are big! And a human character and a wookie, and others, could start out with 5, so why not a young hutt that is even bigger?..  Not important, I already have a few answers in my head:p

Or, you know, don't try to min/max or powergame your character. That being said, it's your game to run/play in.

Also of note, in The Clone Wars, Ziro the hutt was killed with a blaster pistol.

This isn`t about min/maxing at all, more about in-game/in-universe logic. And sure, some hutts, like Ziro could be weak and fragile, but some are alot stronger too. 3 and 4 are the only options when it comes to brawn.

But as I said, the numbers aren`t that important and might represent more or less than just pure strength.. It`s ok!:)

They start with a 3 in Brawn...and a WT of 13+Brawn (so minimum of 16) while also getting a 3 in Willpower and a strain of 11+ (so minimum of 14)

Individually each of those is good, combined they are great.

Besides, what do we see in the films to suggest that Hutts are stronger anyway? You never see Jabba benchpress a starcruiser... Yeah they are big and bulky, but the only "strength" thing we ever see a hutt do is what? Knock over a protocol droid?

By comparison we see say... Wookiees pick up people and throw them, run, jump, climb, swing from vines, leap from moving airspeeders, and run around largely unhindered by the weight of a protocol droid...

Translating numbers to in game effects it matches ok....

Edited by Ghostofman

What do you think?

I think it's freaking bizarre we're discussing Hutt characters.

Besides, from my reading of what you've presented, Hutts can't have a brawn in 5 at creation.  That's very different than what your title implies: they can't have a 5 in brawn ever.  

Finally, yes, as Hutts are big fat fatties, they're probably not too effective at most physical activities, which is part of what Brawn represents.

But really, this:

BAH!!...Forget stats...Just Dont play a hutt...

The only thing hut PC's are good at is escaping a Rancor by face planting and looking like a turd!!!  :P

In 20 years of playing Star Wars RPGs, I've never had or known a player who got excited about being able to play a Hutt (when the opportunity existed) or or lament their absence (when the option wasn't available).

Hutts are NPCs, and NPCs have whatever stats they need.

Edited by LethalDose

Both me and two potential players in my group would like to play a hutt, they are a **** interesting species and culture! Why wouldn`t you want to explore them as a character?

Reasons not to play a hutt....

1. "Run ! Jerbil the Hutt.. The AT-AT is comming...  Noooo..... Nooooo..." Squish!

2. Jerbil to Leia... "Hang on im gona swing over this chasm with my handy rope!... WEEE ..."  SNaP!!!  (leia) You slug Sonofaaaaaaa...."

3. "Lets hide behind these trees.... er... FUHHHH!..."

(all tongue in cheek don't mean to derail thread)

Edited by Atraangelis

Arguing about the demerits of playing a Hutt character is very unproductive to this topic- and in general.

FFG put them in the book to give players the option. They are one of 4 species proposed Lords of Nal Hutta; when every other source book book has only 3. Thus, they are not taking a species slot from another more "appropriate" species. Hutts are completely optional and can be ignored by any group that does not wish to have them in their games.

Arguing about the demerits of playing a Hutt character is very unproductive to this topic- and in general.

FFG put them in the book to give players the option. They are one of 4 species proposed Lords of Nal Hutta; when every other source book book has only 3. Thus, they are not taking a species slot from another more "appropriate" species. Hutts are completely optional and can be ignored by any group that does not wish to have them in their games.

Maybe included to help create more detailed NPC Hutts... my 2 pennies :)

Maybe included to help create more detailed NPC Hutts... my 2 pennies :)

And player characters... This is Star Wars! Look at all the weird droids and aliens there are to choose from!

It baffles me that  people who actually play this game think it`s so strange that  someone would like to play the more strange and interesting species in the Galaxy!

Some people love the thought of exploring astromechs, hutts and other weird character options! That is part of what makes a setting like Star Wars fun!

I think people may have taken my post as a joke. It wasn't. Or well, it sort of was, but I would love to play a Hutt Jedi. Though probably not in a serious business game. In a one shot that was meant to be a bit goofy absolutely. Hutts force jumping would be amazing.

I'd just have to find some way to work the line "I came in like a wrecking ball."

Edited by Emperor Norton

In 20 years of playing Star Wars RPGs, I've never had or known a player who got excited about being able to play a Hutt (when the opportunity existed) or or lament their absence (when the option wasn't available).

Actually, now that Hutts are theoretically available as a PC species, I’ve been kind of curious about what that might look like. I’m always kind of curious about the weirdo PC species, which is why I never play a human.

Wookiee or droid is about as “mainstream” as I get in the Star Wars universe. And even then, it would have to be a somewhat non-traditional rebellious younger Wookiee type, or it would have to be a droid more like Kryten from Red Dwarf than C-3PO.

In our local group, we’ve had a psycho-crazy but impossibly lucky Duros, a Toydarian Mechanic who went to the Dark Side, a Khaleesh bodyguard who must have decided we’re too dull and went on to do something else, A psycho-crazy Gand who went to the Dark Side along with his Toydarian buddy, A Chadra-Fan Force Move monster, and others that I can’t remember. I’m currently on my most “out there” character, who is a Clawdite Force Mystic/Seer, with a Drall Force Artisan and a Twi’Lek Makashi Duelist.

But very few humans have ever been in our local group.

So, Hutt is actually sounding kind of interesting to me, at least for certain types of careers. Gank could be cool, too.

Actually, now that Hutts are theoretically available as a PC species, I’ve been kind of curious about what that might look like. I’m always kind of curious about the weirdo PC species, which is why I never play a human.

Wookiee or droid is about as “mainstream” as I get in the Star Wars universe. And even then, it would have to be a somewhat non-traditional rebellious younger Wookiee type, or it would have to be a droid more like Kryten from Red Dwarf than C-3PO.

In our local group, we’ve had a psycho-crazy but impossibly lucky Duros, a Toydarian Mechanic who went to the Dark Side, a Khaleesh bodyguard who must have decided we’re too dull and went on to do something else, A psycho-crazy Gand who went to the Dark Side along with his Toydarian buddy, A Chadra-Fan Force Move monster, and others that I can’t remember. I’m currently on my most “out there” character, who is a Clawdite Force Mystic/Seer, with a Drall Force Artisan and a Twi’Lek Makashi Duelist.

But very few humans have ever been in our local group.

So, Hutt is actually sounding kind of interesting to me, at least for certain types of careers. Gank could be cool, too.

This!

In all our games, humans are the least likely race or sprecies to be played! D&d, Star Wars, or any game where there are more exighting options than human, most of my players would choose something more "exotic" and interesting than a human.

I might concider playing a human now, but only because I have gone full circle and humans are exighting from the other end of the scale again.

But dudes, hutts! Why is it so hard to see why someone would play these mafia, meglomaniac superior alien race, crazy, big slug, interesting and crazy culture alien creatures! Sounds hella-fun to me!.. Especially if another character is a submissive twi`lek slave, a religious hutt-worshipping klatoonian, an anti-slave politico or a loyal family-owned gank! Or any other countless, cool hutt relationship!

If yoy can`t see why anyone would like to roleplay a hutt, you are playing the wrong game!

Edited by RodianClone

I could go for playing a Hutt. Sure, they're not the fastest sprinters around, but they have plenty of other things that compensate (like the excellent wound and strain thresholds). Equip him with a ranged weapon so he won't have to get close to his opponents all the time and you're good to go.

Equip your Hutt with the repulsorsled that comes equipped with a planetary-scale Auto-Blaster and watch game balance evaporate!

That's assuming your GM is a complete moron and allows that. If so, he deserves having his campaign shot to bits.