Sign in to follow this  
JMichael

Will there be Gen Con pre-release ships?

They do, they had X-Wing Wave 5 there last year.

I don't know that they'll have any of wave 2 for Armada there, but they may have some Wave 7 for X-Wing and very likely to have the Raider there.

It would be safe to say that anything listed as on the boat right now, will likely be at Gen Con. Wave 7 has been at the printer for a while now, so that's possible, but not as likely as the Raider.

Wave 2 of Armada was updated to 'at the printer' on July 9, and so it seems unlikely they'd have enough ready and shipped here to sell any at Gen Con. It's possible but I'd be surprised.

If they were going to have wave 2 at GenCon, I would have expect them to at least have started on the reveals by now. My reasoning is that if someone buys wave 2 at GenCon you can bet that they will spoil the contents themselves by the end of the day, and I'm guessing that FFG would rather do the reveal rather than have someone else steal their thunder ;)

If they were going to have wave 2 at GenCon, I would have expect them to at least have started on the reveals by now. My reasoning is that if someone buys wave 2 at GenCon you can bet that they will spoil the contents themselves by the end of the day, and I'm guessing that FFG would rather do the reveal rather than have someone else steal their thunder ;)

Correct me if I am wrong but FFG did not really spoilers wave 1 did they? I don't remember them showing off cards and abilities like they do with LCGs and X-Wing

Definitely were several spoiler articles made leading up to the wave 1 release. It was super weird because sometimes the spoilers would contradict some of their previously shown stuff.

Yea that happens. Like how Dodonna was changed, how ships have less Anti-squadron dice, etc.

Yea I think they are trying a different approach to Armada. They seem to give us information on the Wave and then on the faction ships. I don't see it as much as spoilers as more of Informational articles

Something else to consider.

FFG had X-Wing wave 5 ships at Gen Con last year, but it didn't hit stores until Nov 26th. So some people had wave 5 for nearly 4 months before everyone else got it.

That made for a lot of upset people and FFG may not want more bad blood, so even if they could have a couple thousand units at Gen Con they may not because they know it will be another 2-3 months before they're in stores.

Then again, it's not like the sales of wave 5 were hurt by it... so *shrug*. But as I said above, I don't think they've had time to get enough units ready by the time Gen Con is going, assuming that the 'at the printers' status was accurate.

I'm also assuming that 'At the Printer' means they've signed off on the final designs and some test models, and full production is just starting when they mark it with that status.

Edited by VanorDM

My thought is wave two has been at the printer for a while they just updated it in July. I'm sure we see some ships for sale there and get everything spoiled by FFG before anything goes on sale.

My thought is wave two has been at the printer for a while they just updated it in July.

Given FFG's track record with X-Wing, I wouldn't count on that. Most X-Wing expansions are at the printers for 2-3 months, and Armada models if anything are more complex then X-Wing.

They did have X-Wing wave 5 there, but those went to the printer more then 3 weeks prior to Gen Con.

Anything is possible though, and they might, but I wouldn't go to Gen Con based solely on the hope of getting wave 2 early.

But I did think of something someone mentioned in another thread, that they FAQ/Tournament rules would need to be updated before Gen Con if the ships were there. But that's not actually true. The Tournament rules right now work the same way X-Wing does, and ships aren't legal for tournament play in the US until they've been released.

Having limited units for sale at Gen Con does not count as being released however, so even if they have some there, they won't be legal for the US Nationals. The tournament will still be 300 points with Wave 1 ships.

Based on past years at GenCon I would expect Wave 2 ships to be in the display case (I will take a camera) but not for sale.  It seems too early in the process to have any for sale at this time.  That said, I fully expect early production proofs to be displayed, possibily with cards.  With a little extra luck we might even see Wave 3 concept art.  Probably not models yet unless they are more ahead then they let on.

Man, I wish I knew what Wave 3 will contain...

Thanks
Duncan

Based on past years at GenCon I would expect Wave 2 ships to be in the display case

That reminds me... They didn't have any of wave 2 on display at the FFG event center when I was there for regionals. That was a month or so ago now, but they normally have stuff on display there pretty early.

Do they have any on display there now?