Sign in to follow this  
stmack

New C-3PO and R2-D2 previews

They should've gotten rid of the auto-surge and +2 ACC and just give him 2 yellow instead.

Then you've got a situation where R2 could fry a storm trooper outright; that's not ideal.  R2 being able to "maybe stun someone" feels about right, thematically.

That can already happen though.

Thought all allys could perform attribute tests

Most interacts that involve a test specify that it needs to be a hero, the exceptions are the spice job, generous donations and imperial hospitality (yes I checked my campaign guide for that).

WRT the droids overall the R2 seems good in campaign but not so good in skirmish (I imagine his job is usually, to 'run' straight to the nearest terminal and stick on it drawing command cards for most of the game, that seems worse than other options rebels have for 3 points). 3PO seems really good in either context.

Edit: Also I think the design of both is amazing in flavour terms.

Edited by Norgrath

Now, I'm not saying R2D2 is overall bad, I'm saying his attack is bad, and requiring combos like luke or c3p0 doesn't make it good either. (And I'd also argue that you'd get more benefit from focusing your big hitter rather than R2)

If you take him, you are taking him mostly for his terminal/hacking ability.

I agree with your points. The main thing I am excited for is subbing out a regular Sab for two activations. If you can keep C3P0 alive his focus combined with Gids will make for a really hard hitting squad, also if you time his second ability properly, like after your other figure has activated but before an opponent has it could be devistating as well.

R2 sitting back and hacking a terminal is real good. So good that it may force your opponent to go out of their way to kill him, which could work to your advantage. So I agree his attacking is under whelming but makes sense for the character. The way he plays now he will mainly be used as a support and only attack when forced to. Which makes sense to me.

I look at both of them as a 5 point ally that can split up if need be. Also, that second Dodge on R2 is going to drive some people crazy.  

Everything in this expansion should be arriving these next two weeks. Almost in time for my painting to get done . . . only to do more, hehe.  

Everything in this expansion should be arriving these next two weeks. Almost in time for my painting to get done . . . only to do more, hehe.  

Whaaaaaat!?  Should it!?

It's speculation, but it's reasoned.  GenCon is next week, and they will have copies available there.  It's already been on the boat for 5 weeks now, so another 2 weeks to land and get out to stores is about normal.  I'd say 2 weeks is reasonable, 3 weeks at the most.

Whaaaaaat!?  Should it!?

It's speculation, but it's reasoned.  GenCon is next week, and they will have copies available there.  It's already been on the boat for 5 weeks now, so another 2 weeks to land and get out to stores is about normal.  I'd say 2 weeks is reasonable, 3 weeks at the most.

I didn't realise it had been on the boat that long!  Sweet!  What else is in this wave?

Next month could get expensive - Force and Destiny, this stuff, possibly the Raider, am I forgetting anything?  I don't think we're expecting an arrival for Armada are we?

I didn't realise it had been on the boat that long!  Sweet!  What else is in this wave?

Next month could get expensive - Force and Destiny, this stuff, possibly the Raider, am I forgetting anything?  I don't think we're expecting an arrival for Armada are we?

Twin Shadows, Fett, Sanos, and the droids.

Make next month cheaper.  F&D is shipping now!

Isn't there a side mission reward that decreases the cost of bringing allies by 2 in campaign? Now, it would require drawing, playing, and winning two specific side missions, but 3PO for free of R2 for 1 would be great, especially 3PO. 

Single Purpose is singularly awesome.  Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found another use for it.  Make an Elite Imp Officer do it.  Darth Vader, again, releases the beatstick.  Or an E-Web rains doom before it ever activates itself.

Edited by Engine25

Single Purpose combines well with the Elite Officer ...

Single Purpose is singularly awesome.  Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found another use for it.  Make an Elite Imp Officer do it.  Darth Vader, again, releases the beatstick.  Or an E-Web rains doom before it ever activates itself.

;)  :P

Edited by DerBaer

I'm not sure if I have this correct but in the campaign I believe that you can only bring one ally per mission.

So unless you can deploy 3PO and R2 as though they were a single deployment card or there is a change to the ally rules in the Twin Suns pack we will not get to play a mission with both of them together :(.

Unless I have the rules wrong anyway...

Had to chime in...

DROIDS: I think the droids are awesome.  I love their flavour and I think they're designed well from both a 'storyline, canon' (C3P0 cowers and doesn't attack, R2D2 does very little damage, hacks terminals, etc.) and from a functionality standpoint for the game.  They definitely feel *very* different when compared to other figures we've seen so far.  Two activations with a ton of functionality - especially with the right builds - in Skirmish for *5* points is terrific.  Especially considering that they are looking to be tough to get rid of.

VADER / SINGLE PURPOSE: Unless I'm missing something, brutality doesn't work.  Brutality is an 'attack' special action and Vader doesn't have Assault.  No workie.  HOWEVER...  What might be even more scary in the right moment is the fact that Vader can force choke across the whole map (with line of sight, of course) for any combination of up to three unblocked damage (twice) or two unblocked damage and burning a command card (twice).  That could be very strong at the right time.

With Rebel High Command, R2-D2 and the corresponding Command Cards you can burn through a whole deck of Command Cards in like 3 rounds ... that's pretty scary ...

Edited by DerBaer

I'm not sure if I have this correct but in the campaign I believe that you can only bring one ally per mission.

So unless you can deploy 3PO and R2 as though they were a single deployment card or there is a change to the ally rules in the Twin Suns pack we will not get to play a mission with both of them together :(.

You have the rules right but I, and I suspect most people, expect a special rule for the droids.

VADER / SINGLE PURPOSE: Unless I'm missing something, brutality doesn't work.  Brutality is an 'attack' special action and Vader doesn't have Assault.  No workie.  HOWEVER...  What might be even more scary in the right moment is the fact that Vader can force choke across the whole map (with line of sight, of course) for any combination of up to three unblocked damage (twice) or two unblocked damage and burning a command card (twice).  That could be very strong at the right time.

This falls into the single attack rule, yes.  But if he is close to an Elite Officer, the Officer can command him to perform two standard attacks before or after he activates himself.

You have the rules right but I, and I suspect most people, expect a special rule for the droids.

Yeah, I am reallllly hoping their mission grants you access to both of them. At 5 points for the pair, I think it's definitely worth it, and it just wouldn't be the same running one without the other.

Edited by weaponxmerc

The problem I see with making the droids an exception to the one ally rule, even as weak as they are, is that then the heroes are getting six activations. As those of us who play skirmish know, an extra activation can be a pretty big advantage, even when the unit that comes with it is nothing to write home about.

EDIT: now that I think about it though, the solution there is pretty obvious - make them function as one group, albeit the only one so far where the figures in the group aren't identical. So they activate together - fixes the six-act issue AND makes thematic sense.

Edited by The Gas

With Rebel High Command, R2-D2 and the corresponding Command Cards you can burn through a whole deck of Command Cards in like 3 rounds ... that's pretty scary ...

better hope you're not up against some tradoshans if you get through your deck. That strain could be brutal if your deck is already empty. 

The problem I see with making the droids an exception to the one ally rule, even as weak as they are, is that then the heroes are getting six activations. As those of us who play skirmish know, an extra activation can be a pretty big advantage, even when the unit that comes with it is nothing to write home about.

EDIT: now that I think about it though, the solution there is pretty obvious - make them function as one group, albeit the only one so far where the figures in the group aren't identical. So they activate together - fixes the six-act issue AND makes thematic sense.

I don't think the extra activation from 3PO is much of a threat, he can't do much besides Focus someone once a turn and/or move around. I doubt rebels would put him in the way of danger to block IP's line of sight or movement since it'd probably only take 1 or 2 attacks to kill him.

EDIT: Unrelated, but it looks like the only way to play 3PO and R2 outside of Twin Shadows missions is to buy their ally pack and complete included mission from the pack.

Edited by patrickmahan

Twin Shadows, Fett, Sanos, and the droids.

Make next month cheaper.  F&D is shipping now!

Fudge, that's quite a lot, and all of it essential! :P

F&D says 29th on Amazon over here.

So does Single Purpose not seem incredible with Brutality?  An officer tells Vader to move, and then he releases the beatstick.

It's Droid only. Vader, while more machine than man, is not a droid.

No, it's Any Figure.

People really need to check their facts before they spout misinformation.

Haha oops. :P Then yes Vader will devastate people if he get's his hands on that card. 

I wonder if it works on special actions on Command Cards....

No it won't. You still cannot perform multiple attacks in an activation. The card will not permit double brutality

So does Single Purpose not seem incredible with Brutality?  An officer tells Vader to move, and then he releases the beatstick.

It's Droid only. Vader, while more machine than man, is not a droid.

No, it's Any Figure.

People really need to check their facts before they spout misinformation.

Haha oops. :P Then yes Vader will devastate people if he get's his hands on that card. 

I wonder if it works on special actions on Command Cards....

No it won't. You still cannot perform multiple attacks in an activation. The card will not permit double brutality

It WILL allow you to use an Elite Officer to order Vader to do a standard attack twice, however.