Sign in to follow this  
stmack

New C-3PO and R2-D2 previews

So does Single Purpose not seem incredible with Brutality?  An officer tells Vader to move, and then he releases the beatstick.

It's Droid only. Vader, while more machine than man, is not a droid. 

No, it's Any Figure.

People really need to check their facts before they spout misinformation.

Haha oops. :P Then yes Vader will devastate people if he get's his hands on that card. 

I wonder if it works on special actions on Command Cards.... 

Well i guess the vehicles would be speeders at least. I wonder what else they would have for the Rebels?

Well if R2 has the ability to repair unless there planning to do mix squads and R2 can be on the same squad as imperials they would have to make speeders or snow speeders or pull rebel vehicle out there rear ends and make them up.

Ugg....come to think of it I can see them doing something like characters that can steal imperial vehicles so that's why that ability is there, let's hope that's not the case....

Well i guess the vehicles would be speeders at least. I wonder what else they would have for the Rebels?

Well if R2 has the ability to repair unless there planning to do mix squads and R2 can be on the same squad as imperials they would have to make speeders or snow speeders or pull rebel vehicle out there rear ends and make them up.

The Battlefront games have rebel hovertanks that would work at this scale.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/AAC-2_hovertank

C-3PO is a strong support character as he should be. At only 2 points it will also help Rebels in terms of activations.

Re: thee R2-D2 skirmish card, 6 health and lucky will keep him around for a while. Not as strong as I hoped, but all in all seems like good deal for 3 points in the right squad.

I know everyone is excited that supports friendly vehicles, but I'm intrigued about him supporting fellow droids. Will we see an array of them now that R2 can heal them? Purhaps even a droid hero?

Will I finally be able to play that Gonk droid I've always dreamed of?

Droid hero yep, in there RPG Edge of the empire they have a droid hero 41-Vex, in fact the new rebel scoundrel introduced in the last article is the same picture of a hero in there RPG so yea a droid hero will be introduced.

My response to someone saying they're rubbish on Facebook:

They're role players

They're never going to be the versatile Luke or the hard hitting of Chewie. That's why they're only 2 and 3 points, not 12 and 15.

Their cheap points value is also really good for rebel list building. Most lists want to get to the sweet spot of between 6-8 activations. Since the core Imperials have had officers, probe droids and the scum have had nexus to allow them to get there. But the rebels have only had Gideon or Mak. Now they've got two more options.

R2 is great. He's got 6 health, reasonably comparable to a royal guard. He also has a 1/3 chance of dodging the whole attack and with his recover ability he'll be really hard to kill. Plus he's 'only' worth 3 VPs so your opponent isn't incentivised to kill him.

He's always got 2-4 accuracy and he can whizz round drawing you cards and stunning key players like Vader, RGC, IG-88 and Royal Guards. Although getting him to catch them with movement 3 will be hard to pull off.

C-3PO is probably worse in a vacuum. But the fact that you can now run two figures that focus your guys for 5 points (threepio + Gideon) is pretty good, even is his focus is harder to get off.

My response to someone saying they're rubbish on Facebook:

They're role players

They're never going to be the versatile Luke or the hard hitting of Chewie. That's why they're only 2 and 3 points, not 12 and 15.

Their cheap points value is also really good for rebel list building. Most lists want to get to the sweet spot of between 6-8 activations. Since the core Imperials have had officers, probe droids and the scum have had nexus to allow them to get there. But the rebels have only had Gideon or Mak. Now they've got two more options.

R2 is great. He's got 6 health, reasonably comparable to a royal guard. He also has a 1/3 chance of dodging the whole attack and with his recover ability he'll be really hard to kill. Plus he's 'only' worth 3 VPs so your opponent isn't incentivised to kill him.

He's always got 2-4 accuracy and he can whizz round drawing you cards and stunning key players like Vader, RGC, IG-88 and Royal Guards. Although getting him to catch them with movement 3 will be hard to pull off.

C-3PO is probably worse in a vacuum. But the fact that you can now run two figures that focus your guys for 5 points (threepio + Gideon) is pretty good, even is his focus is harder to get off.

I agree mate, they will shine. Those that quickly dismiss them will find out soon enough, heh.   

I know everyone is excited that supports friendly vehicles, but I'm intrigued about him supporting fellow droids. Will we see an array of them now that R2 can heal them? Purhaps even a droid hero?

Will I finally be able to play that Gonk droid I've always dreamed of?

GONK

For real though, I'm surprised we don't have a droid hero character already. 

Edited by RogueLieutenant

I'm really disappointed with R2D2s attack - I like the idea of a low damage attack but can stun and weaken, but because you need to inflict at least 1 dmg to inflict stun, the chance to hit with a stun/weaken is low.

After doing the math:

Against a black die, R2D2 has only a 33% to stun/weaken.

Against a white die, R2D2 has only a 30% to stun/weaken.

The problem is after the defense roll, it is hard to still have both 1 dmg and an extra surge for stun/weaken. If the surge ability was 1 dmg, 1 pierce instead of 2 Pierce it would be a lot better. You basically need to be focused to have a reliable chance to inflict a status.

His terminal ability is good but I think the designers dropped the ball regarding his attack.

Edited by Deadwolf

I'm really disappointed with R2D2s attack - I like the idea of a low damage attack but can stun and weaken, but because you need to inflict at least 1 dmg to inflict stun, the chance to hit with a stun/weaken is low.

After doing the math:

The problem is after the defense roll, it is hard to still have both 1 dmg and an extra surge for stun/weaken. If the surge ability was 1 dmg, 1 pierce instead of 2 Pierce it would be a lot better. You basically need to be focused to have a reliable chance to inflict a status.

His terminal ability is good but I think the designers dropped the ball regarding his attack.

Pierce 2 might pull through for him more often than not. Especially since he gets one Surge natively, plus the Yellow die is loaded with surges he'll probably be able to pierce and stun more often than not. Pierce 2 can get through most standard defense most of the time I think. 

After doing the math:

Pierce 2 might pull through for him more often than not. Especially since he gets one Surge natively, plus the Yellow die is loaded with surges he'll probably be able to pierce and stun more often than not. Pierce 2 can get through most standard defense most of the time I think.

The Pierce 2 helps R2D2 gets damage through. For example if the Defender rolls 3 block, and you roll 2 damage, you can get 1 damage through, or when you roll the 1 damage face but then you are using your surge for pierce, not stun.

It helps if you roll 1 damage AND 1 surge but the pierce also does nothing when you roll no damage on the die (2 faces have only 1 surge).

The 33/30% chance to stun/weaken takes pierce into account.

Edited by Deadwolf

After doing the math:

Keep him close to Luke and the odds go up. Luke's reroll will make him a lot better. I also like the idea of camping him at a terminal and using his activation when I want to stall.

I'm real excited for both these guys in Skirmish. 

Luke

Elite Sabs

Elite Sabs

Sabs

Mak

Gid

R2D2

C3PO

That is one solid 8 activation list! With the new skirmish maps I'm feeling like this list will be as good as any.

After doing the math:

Keep him close to Luke and the odds go up. Luke's reroll will make him a lot better. I also like the idea of camping him at a terminal and using his activation when I want to stall.

I'm real excited for both these guys in Skirmish. 

Luke

Elite Sabs

Elite Sabs

Sabs

Mak

Gid

R2D2

C3PO

That is one solid 8 activation list! With the new skirmish maps I'm feeling like this list will be as good as any.

Let's not forget that 3PO can also focus R2.  They are the same speed and their abilities combo really well together. IMO this is perfect design.  They are incentivized to stay near each other, but don't necessarily have to,

If someone said these guys are bad, I wonder if they are playing the same game I am.  My initial reaction is these guys are amazing.

I think 3PO is better than R2 overall, but they are both pretty crazy.

Now, I'm not saying R2D2 is overall bad, I'm saying his attack is bad, and requiring combos like luke or c3p0 doesn't make it good either. (And I'd also argue that you'd get more benefit from focusing your big hitter rather than R2)

If you take him, you are taking him mostly for his terminal/hacking ability.

They should've gotten rid of the auto-surge and +2 ACC and just give him 2 yellow instead.

Then you've got a situation where R2 could fry a storm trooper outright; that's not ideal.  R2 being able to "maybe stun someone" feels about right, thematically.