Sign in to follow this  
Darth Poopdeck

Incorrect Artwork in Books

@R2Builder: Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

My concern is more with the new ships that FFG create that have no art whatsoever. There are also the picture that show ships but you don't know which is which. Going to look up everything in wookiepedia is a pain in the arse.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Page 208 of Core Rule Book depicts a left handed Han Solo.

Or maybe he's just smarmy enough to say "I know something you don't know. I.... am not left handed!" 

Han was in a good mood. He thought he'd give those stormtroopers a fighting chance.

You know what artwork will never be incorrect? The one on p. 66 of Far Horizons.

That's not something you wanna wake up to... 0_0

"Is it safe?"

This is the one that bothers me:

SWBET_T16Skyhopper_MarkMolnar.jpg

image: T-16 skyhooper from EotE with very strange wings.

Skyhopper_egvv.jpg

image: T-16 isometric view showing why wings in previous image are really strange.

O_o

I think it was Escher did that one.  :P

You know what artwork will never be incorrect? The one on p. 66 of Far Horizons.

That's not something you wanna wake up to... 0_0

"Is it safe?"

This is the one that bothers me:

SWBET_T16Skyhopper_MarkMolnar.jpg

image: T-16 skyhooper from EotE with very strange wings.

Skyhopper_egvv.jpg

image: T-16 isometric view showing why wings in previous image are really strange.

O_o

I think it was Escher did that one.  :P

Could it be that the flight control is the whole vertical and this pic was showing a maneuver?

Could it be that the flight control is the whole vertical and this pic was showing a maneuver?

IIRC, the painting was done at a time when the plans did not exist, so when the artist was given the commission, he didn’t have enough information.

Later, when the plans came out, the original artist was asked about the differences and commented that he wished the plans had existed earlier so that he could have done a more accurate painting.

So, the painting and the plans definitely don’t match very well. But you can’t really blame that on the artist for the painting.

It still looks pretty whacked out, though.

IIRC, the painting was done at a time when the plans did not exist, so when the artist was given the commission, he didn’t have enough information.

Later, when the plans came out, the original artist was asked about the differences and commented that he wished the plans had existed earlier so that he could have done a more accurate painting.

So, the painting and the plans definitely don’t match very well. But you can’t really blame that on the artist for the painting.

It still looks pretty whacked out, though.

Really? There's a model of this ship in the movie - it's the one Luke plays with! Also, for the eagle-eyed out there, there's a 'full-scale' mockup outside the door of the garage, though it appears to be just scenery.

skyhopper.jpg

skyhopper2.jpg

Really? There's a model of this ship in the movie - it's the one Luke plays with! Also, for the eagle-eyed out there, there's a 'full-scale' mockup outside the door of the garage, though it appears to be just scenery.

skyhopper.jpg

Actually, in this picture, the model looks to me a lot more like the painting he drew (flipped left to right), so that is a possible explanation.

I’m assuming that it looks that way because it’s just being held at a weird angle or something.

skyhopper2.jpg

Yeah, there’s not much there to go on.

Really? There's a model of this ship in the movie - it's the one Luke plays with! 

skyhopper.jpg

Actually, in this picture, the model looks to me a lot more like the painting he drew (flipped left to right), so that is a possible explanation.

I’m assuming that it looks that way because it’s just being held at a weird angle or something.

I dunno man, the model Luke's holding matches the blueprint perfectly, while that painting looks to me like the vehicle's dorsal and portside wings are all one flat plane. YMMV, of course.

I dunno man, the model Luke's holding matches the blueprint perfectly, while that painting looks to me like the vehicle's dorsal and portside wings are all one flat plane. YMMV, of course.

I was looking at the fact that the Dorsal Fin and the portside of the body look like they are a flat plane. Yes, the portside wing is clearly not flat in that same plane, but that dorsal fin is HUGE and that forming a flat plane with the portside of the body definitely makes it look like that ship is asymmetrical.

Now, I’m sure that this is just a trick of perspective, but if you were and artist and saw that, but wanted to draw the side fins in a lower position, I can certainly see how that portside fin could be drawn to be in a flat plane with the dorsal fin as well as the body on the port side.

IMO, we need a better picture of that model to work from, if we’re going to make a more accurate painting.

Page 208 of Core Rule Book depicts a left handed Han Solo.

Or maybe he's just smarmy enough to say "I know something you don't know. I.... am not left handed!"

I took another look at that one. Note also that the E-11 Blaster Rifle in the trooper’s hand doesn’t have a clip sticking out the side, which would be the case if he was actually holding it in his left hand.

So, clearly that picture got flipped horizontally. Either the art director decided it looked better that way, or maybe there was an error in placement.

Or, the artist is really, really bad about understanding left from right.

You know the one that gets me? All the time? Front cover of EotE - where the hell is Solo's bloodstripe?

And now you will never be able to unsee it too. You're welcome.

I noticed that right away. I always assumed that he was wearing a different pair of pants that day. Luke earns the Corellian Blood Stripe Second Class for his exploits at the Battle of Yavin (check out the final scenes of A New Hope again) but he never wears them again for the rest of the Trilogy.

Boba Fett Lives!!! On page 169 EotE shows Boba Fett flying out the Sarlacc Pit :)

Oh wow... I never noticed that!

Could be Boba Fett flying across the Sarlacc, just prior to the greatest upset in fandom history.

Greater upset than Greedo shooting first? This is the most annoying thing, GL decided to mess about with a scene that worked fine before (portraying Han as a bit of a badass, using underhand tactics as he would need to in order to survive in his 'employment', but couldn't CGI a Boba Fett crawling out of the pit...) GRRR!