Gadge

The Concise/Collected Repaints Thread. Keep Them All Here, Keep Em Visible.

SITH FIGHTER

There are many parts to this small model, the main cockpit is from a Defender and the wings are from three standard tie Fighters.....one being the Inquisitor Tie.

this isnt finished yet.

still have to spray the model in a Matt Varnish, as I only had gloss at the time to seal it. and i need to put blue crystals 

in the engine nacelles for the "Engine Glow"

but nearly there.......

Sith%20Fighter%203_zpsmz7wladk.jpg

Sith%20Fighter%205_zpsw34r8tzc.jpg

Sith%20Fighter%204_zps2lepld8n.jpg

Hello Spaceinvader

Basicly, I spray painted the model black, then a light over spray of grey primer. I then drybrushed a lighter grey for the panel high lights.

And used a very fine 0.05 fine liner "black graphic drawing pen" to go in-between and around the panels.

Ink washes on large models can look messy.

And I prefur the Imperial ships to look tidy.

I use the fine liner to draw Cockpit windows on all of the ship models as well.

Again for neatness.

It's that simple really.

All the best.

Barry.

On a similar note, for people who repaint things like Punishers and Bombers which have lots of tight internal spaces into which it's challenging to get a brush, do you routinely remove the wings somehow and reattach them afterwards?  If so, what's the best way to go about this?

Thanks

Normal TIE fighters do not need to have the wings removed, though it does help a bit. On any of the ships where the wings are curved inward, eg Advanced, Bomber, Interceptor, Punisher, it's a lot easier to paint them if the wings are removed.

Normal TIE fighters do not need to have the wings removed, though it does help a bit. On any of the ships where the wings are curved inward, eg Advanced, Bomber, Interceptor, Punisher, it's a lot easier to paint them if the wings are removed.

How do you get them off without damaging them?

Putting them back on is less of a challenge, I've been pinning joints for years.

I have been pulling lots of tie fighters apart lately !

and they are easier than you think, it looks as though FFG use some sort of plastic weld glue......and not much.

if you take the tie body with two fingers in one hand, and the other hand on the wings.

then lightly start twisting in small ,motions left to right this prizes the glue free.

done that on all of my models and never broke any parts, if you use something to prize them off.

you could mark or dent the soft plastic.

so i found light twisting of the parts against each other, works them free.

some of my new Tie Fo's have actually fallen apart while painting them !

not put together very well.

so i have since stripped them all of there wings.

and re-glued them properly with decent plastic weld.

All the best,

Barry. 

I have been pulling lots of tie fighters apart lately !

and they are easier than you think, it looks as though FFG use some sort of plastic weld glue......and not much.

if you take the tie body with two fingers in one hand, and the other hand on the wings.

then lightly start twisting in small ,motions left to right this prizes the glue free.

done that on all of my models and never broke any parts, if you use something to prize them off.

you could mark or dent the soft plastic.

so i found light twisting of the parts against each other, works them free.

some of my new Tie Fo's have actually fallen apart while painting them !

not put together very well.

so i have since stripped them all of there wings.

and re-glued them properly with decent plastic weld.

All the best,

Barry. 

Thanks.  Having taken a Lambda apart with ease I suspected this might be the case.

Some great looking repaints as always coming through on this Painting thread.

Here are a few more of My repaints and custom Builds to keep things moving.

Repainted Lambda Shuttle..........I think nearly everyone has painted one of these !

Not a fan of the white, thought it would look better in grey, and marked up for "Saber Squadron"

Shuttle_zpsuiymw5ox.jpg

Shuttle%201_zpsqir4rjem.jpg

Shuttle%204_zpstod9tnje.jpg

Shuttle%205_zpsj0dvj9oj.jpg

This shuttle is **** Incredible.  Great work!

Some of My Ace's with simple repaints, Sprayed Black and then a simple drybrushing.

as I prefer drybrushing over black to Inking on Imperial vehicles because I think it looks tidier,

and gives a softer edge to the shading, Inking the models seems to suit Rebels better.

any way,

Here's some more Ties...... 

Aces%203_zpspljwpcak.jpg

Aces%201_zpskebnyjez.jpg

Aces%202_zpsjqh2l6md.jpg

Hey Barry! I'm a big fan of your work! incredible mods and paint jobs! Especially like the newest Sith fighter... that's exactly what I think a Sith ship should look like :) I just have a question about your incredible dry brushing. I love dry brushing but I have trouble when it comes to fine detail dry brushing. what kind of brush/drybrush are you using for detailed work? I can't seem to drybrush without hitting parts around the targeted area... if I use a smaller brush it's not enough paint and if I use a larger one (like a standard dry brush) the bristles don't seem to want to stay in the designated area ;)

thanks a lot for your help/suggestions!

Keep your incredible work going!!

Just posted this in the conversion tread, here's my Scum epic.

Awesome! I like weathered ships :wub:

The scum symbol, is it a freehand?

Yes it is. I wish I could take credit, but a coworker painted that one for me.

Some of My Ace's with simple repaints, Sprayed Black and then a simple drybrushing.

as I prefer drybrushing over black to Inking on Imperial vehicles because I think it looks tidier,

and gives a softer edge to the shading, Inking the models seems to suit Rebels better.

any way,

Here's some more Ties...... 

Aces%203_zpspljwpcak.jpg

Aces%201_zpskebnyjez.jpg

Aces%202_zpsjqh2l6md.jpg

Hey Barry! I'm a big fan of your work! incredible mods and paint jobs! Especially like the newest Sith fighter... that's exactly what I think a Sith ship should look like :) I just have a question about your incredible dry brushing. I love dry brushing but I have trouble when it comes to fine detail dry brushing. what kind of brush/drybrush are you using for detailed work? I can't seem to drybrush without hitting parts around the targeted area... if I use a smaller brush it's not enough paint and if I use a larger one (like a standard dry brush) the bristles don't seem to want to stay in the designated area ;)

thanks a lot for your help/suggestions!

Keep your incredible work going!!

Hello Space Dragon,

thank you, i'm glad you like the Models.

I always like to share stuff and see what others are doing with regards to the creative aspect.

I use different sizes of "Chisel" or Flat brushes when I dry brush.

but I have found to get into those tight places, An angled chisel brush and a number 0 brush cut down to a flat tip....short.

great for getting into tight and small areas.

this allows me to stroke the area lightly with just enough paint to pick up on the surface.

the chisel brushes can also be used sideways.

I know dry brushing eventually damages and ruins the brush.

but i found that its better to use a good quality brush, as this allows the softer bristles to give a better finish.

a finer blend on the colour your dry brushing over.

d65f5632-f937-4b15-8b5f-2a9a7009ba3c_zps

brushs%201_zpsoac9nbse.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

All the best.

Barry  :D

Edited by Barry Harker

Hi All

As a first post on this illustrious forum I thought I might share my M3-A and K-fighter repaints :-), let's be honest almost every scum player looks at the purple and brown and wishes it was some other combo :-)

FreePlanets-11.jpg

[imghttp://www.kwel.co.nz/assets/Model-Terrain/Xwing/FreePlanets-21.jpg[/img]

FreePlanets-31.jpg