Gadge

The Concise/Collected Repaints Thread. Keep Them All Here, Keep Em Visible.

Nachofante,

Excellent as always !

Nicely done, looks like a conversion of a firespray isn't it ?

Your superb painting skills give it a nice graphical quality...... I also assume that like MacrossVf1

You paint Games Workshop miniatures.

You guys have that " look " with your miniature painting.

Great job

All the best

Barry

Edited by Barry Harker

Nachofante,

Excellent as always !

Nicely done, looks like a conversion of a firespray isn't it ?

Your superb painting skills give it a nice graphical quality...... I also assume that like MacrossVf1

You paint Games Workshop miniatures.

You guys have that " look " with your miniature painting.

Great job

All the best

Barry

Ahhhh that's the Mantis from the Old Republic game - think he got it off shapeways. Cool ship - bounty hunter was the only class I capped in that game back in the day.

Barry Harker: Thanks for your words and your ideas, mate!

I´ve used my colour pencils on the last retouches! ;)

The Mantis was made from a Revell Firespray Plastic Kit (bigger than FFGs), using the bits in other configurations and modelling the cockpit with greenstuff. If you´re interested in previous steps, I have more images on my blog.

Hantheman: I used Mel´s Mantis design (shapeways) to get an idea about the dimensions in 1/270 scale.

Edited by Nachofante

YWingWiP1.JPG

Here's one of my Y-wings I'm painting to match a B-wing I posted way back in the thread.  The three rays give me a chance to personalize each Y, though the four B's will end up looking the same-ish I think.  Excuse the crappy iPhone 4S photography work; just a WiP as I still need to do some more inking of the panel lines, paint the engines (and flare) and cockpit.

Finally braved myself to paint after having seen sick repaints & mods in this forum. First take is on Vader's TIE Advanced:

BB068E29-12F7-4A54-B322-C98EB5EA7996.jpg

D178D00E-8851-4687-BD56-AD60B1746BEF.jpg

FB5628F4-8603-40F0-A480-3D1A7317B035.jpg

6C4D2C10-1512-4FD1-A09F-ADF734057BBA.jpg

DEEDCAED-D149-4093-9AE0-E5E1B0091D11.jpg

I kinda want the tie advanced to have a menacing paintjob so this is what I came up with.

Would anyone be so kind to give a constructive feedback on the above? Also, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. I have Citadel's nuln oil wash. Should I use it? If so, how thin should I dilute it?

2. Varnish. I can get liquitex close to where I live. Saw some people apply the glossy first and then add another matt layer. Is it better to do this or just go straight to gloss/matte?

3. Brush. What is the smallest one everybody uses for detailing? I am currently using citadel Base size S to paint the base black over the mini and then do the detail with Layer size S.

Edited by Grivoire

Nuln Oil is probably overkill on what's basically black already.  Maybe a dark red or brown wash for the red areas, but it doesn't seem hugely necessary.

It's better to double coat if you can - the gloss will tend to be harder wearing, and the matte softer but looks better; if you apply them in that order you'll also get a good idea when the first layer is wearing off cos the mini starts going glossy, and you'll then know to re-coat.

Brushes, I have down to a 5/0.  Citadel brushes are pretty awful quality though, get some springer-pinsel or similar if you can find them, ideally sable.

----

For my part I did this to a Lambda, mostly as a proof of concept for doing it to my Decimator later.  But I need to work out a new masking technique as I got a lot of overspray where the masking didn't cover the greeblies, panel lines etc properly.  Pretty pleased with the engine effect and the windows though, albeit I need to get some better thinner as my paints were going weird.

zxde7Nzl.jpg

Dazzle camo rules.

I also did the classic cloak effect on my phantom which I'll photograph next time I'm taking mini photos.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Nuln Oil is probably overkill on what's basically black already.  Maybe a dark red or brown wash for the red areas, but it doesn't seem hugely necessary.

It's better to double coat if you can - the gloss will tend to be harder wearing, and the matte softer but looks better; if you apply them in that order you'll also get a good idea when the first layer is wearing off cos the mini starts going glossy, and you'll then know to re-coat.

Brushes, I have down to a 5/0.  Citadel brushes are pretty awful quality though, get some springer-pinsel or similar if you can find them, ideally sable.

----

For my part I did this to a Lambda, mostly as a proof of concept for doing it to my Decimator later.  But I need to work out a new masking technique as I got a lot of overspray where the masking didn't cover the greeblies, panel lines etc properly.  Pretty pleased with the engine effect and the windows though, albeit I need to get some better thinner as my paints were going weird.

zxde7Nzl.jpg

Dazzle camo rules.

I also did the classic cloak effect on my phantom which I'll photograph next time I'm taking mini photos.

Many thanks for the valuable insights good sir - I really appreciate it! :) You made a good point abt the reds, they do look a bit dull. Maybe adding a layer of blood for the blood god helps. And that lambda is pretty awesome! Which paint did you use for the cockpit windows?

Jumping on the Poe Dameron bandwagon:

Excellent work, that's my favourite re-paint so far!

Would you mind sharing what Brand/Colour paint you used for the orange?

And also, how you did the cockpit? 

Thank you!

The orange is Citadel Ratskin Flesh.

As for the canopy it's done in many thin layers.

You'll want a dark, medium and light tones of whatever paint colour you like.

Put some dark paint on yout pallette and thin it with water.

Paint the entire surface in the dark color, then add a bit if the medium tone to it and paint a smaller area, add more of the medium tone paint to your dark tone and paint a smaller area still until you get to where you can paint with just the medium tone.

Then do the same progression by adding the lighter tone to the medium tone, keeping the paint nicely thinned.

The areas you paint with each layer should be getting smaller as the paint mix you use gets lighter.

(note: inverse square law of light - here's an example from flash photography http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/rules-for-perfect-lighting-understanding-the-inverse-square-law--photo-3483 )

You can always spray one of the blister packages the ships come in with black primer and try painting couple of gradients on the plastic to practice. It's not difficult you just need to get the paint thickness right so it layers nicely.

- Use a smaller brush with a fine tip (size 0 will do, quality of the tip is more important)

- Paint in light strokes

- Thin your paint

- Build up several layers

Edited by Polda

Thank you!

The orange is Citadel Ratskin Flesh.

As for the canopy it's done in many thin layers.

You'll want a dark, medium and light tones of whatever paint colour you like.

Put some dark paint on yout pallette and thin it with water.

Paint the entire surface in the dark color, then add a bit if the medium tone to it and paint a smaller area, add more of the medium tone paint to your dark tone and paint a smaller area still until you get to where you can paint with just the medium tone.

Then do the same progression by adding the lighter tone to the medium tone, keeping the paint nicely thinned.

The areas you paint with each layer should be getting smaller as the paint mix you use gets lighter.

(note: inverse square law of light - here's an example from flash photography http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/rules-for-perfect-lighting-understanding-the-inverse-square-law--photo-3483 )

You can always spray one of the blister packages the ships come in with black primer and try painting couple of gradients on the plastic to practice. It's not difficult you just need to get the paint thickness right so it layers nicely.

- Use a smaller brush with a fine tip (size 0 will do, quality of the tip is more important)

- Paint in light strokes

- Thin your paint

- Build up several layers

Thanks for taking the time to explain this :)

I have a few paints but mostly tamiya acrylics for WW2 tanks so will have to grab some of that Citadel colour.

Thanks again!

Had a chance to take some pictures of some of the stuff I got in towards the end of last year. As usual, I didn't paint any of these myself - credit listed where it is due!

First up, some more ships by Rik_beal, a cool Australian who sells a fair amount of repaints on ebay.

Esege Tuketu:

2mCSZBwl.jpg

Red Squadron Veteran:

TtRtbQ4l.jpg

Graz the Hunter & a Black Sun Ace:

LvBsQ4Ql.jpg

A pair of TIE/SFs with some unpainted FOs for contrast:

A9IyHB2l.jpg

Laetin A'Shera & a Tansarri Point Veteran:

fSXexpql.jpg

Guri & Xizor, with folding wings:

BkWiAmzl.jpg

SB8MAdMl.jpg

A set of very nice scum ships painted up by this forum's very own Victor42:

Talonbane Cobra:

AnDs9Onl.jpg

Serissu:

OAEe129l.jpg

Black Sun Vigo:

rRIm65Vl.jpg

& Kaa'to Leechos:

F9plvn0l.jpg

Also pictured above is a folding wing Z-95 painted to represent the Nashtah Pup, made by the gentleman running this blog: http://www.wingcustoms.com/

Here is the Hound's Tooth to go with it:

20yHOqcl.jpg

PBux0Wbl.jpg

& the Pup with wings unfolded:

PVr1S14l.jpg

Edited by ZenMastaT

Just a little update, Red Squadron as it currently stands. I hope to get Red Leader (Garven) and Red 4 (John D. Branon). Branon will just be a Red Squadron Pilot.

Left to right, Red 5, Red 2, Red 6, Red 5.

gSDL6zo.jpg

Red Leader!

CDM58ym.jpg?1

And a Kihraxz

J4GPjfN.jpg?1

Edited by AmPm

Some great looking repaints as always coming through on this Painting thread.

Here are a few more of My repaints and custom Builds to keep things moving.

Repainted Lambda Shuttle..........I think nearly everyone has painted one of these !

Not a fan of the white, thought it would look better in grey, and marked up for "Saber Squadron"

Shuttle_zpsuiymw5ox.jpg

Shuttle%201_zpsqir4rjem.jpg

Shuttle%204_zpstod9tnje.jpg

Shuttle%205_zpsj0dvj9oj.jpg

Some of My Ace's with simple repaints, Sprayed Black and then a simple drybrushing.

as I prefer drybrushing over black to Inking on Imperial vehicles because I think it looks tidier,

and gives a softer edge to the shading, Inking the models seems to suit Rebels better.

any way,

Here's some more Ties...... 

Aces%203_zpspljwpcak.jpg

Aces%201_zpskebnyjez.jpg

Aces%202_zpsjqh2l6md.jpg