Gadge

The Concise/Collected Repaints Thread. Keep Them All Here, Keep Em Visible.

Have a few more ships I have been working on to share. Had a lot of fun doing these up in the same scheme. Ndru and friends, going to add Dengar to the scheme once hes released.

DSC_0916_zpsdzlyctbn.jpg

DSC_0909_zpshhklhq55.jpg[/url]

DSC_0919_zpsdme4mzob.jpg

DSC_0905_zpsxvomqjcq.jpg

DSC_0909_zpshhklhq55.jpg

You can see more of my ships here if you like what you see.

https://www.facebook.com/ThePaintingLegion

Edited by LegionThree

Hello All! First post. Not sure whether I made a mistake here but I decided to do a pinup on a TIE for a bit of variety. Definite 'tabletop' quality in that she looks passable from a distance! Now my TIEs aren't uniform anymore but I have a way to identify my ace. Wondering whether to balance it out with a blood stripe on the other side?

image.jpg

Hello All! First post. Not sure whether I made a mistake here but I decided to do a pinup on a TIE for a bit of variety. Definite 'tabletop' quality in that she looks passable from a distance! Now my TIEs aren't uniform anymore but I have a way to identify my ace. Wondering whether to balance it out with a blood stripe on the other side?image.jpg

That's astonishingly good! Are you sure that isn't a 1/72 scale Tie fighter model you're tricking us with? ;)

After the B-Wing experiment a couple weeks ago the rest of the Squadron gets painted...

More pictures can be found on my blog - https://dwrr.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/blue-squadron-a-rag-tag-band-of-brothers/

I really like the feel of whole squadron, they looks like a pack of veterans and a good friends.

Also battle damage and weathering looks really cool, as well as colour palette picked for squadron.

GJ man, keep up a good work!

The weathering on your blue squadron is fantastic; also your Armada fighters are splendid. Bookmarked with a view to copying! Here is my obligatory Kath Scarlett repaint, with some much less interesting weathering;

image.jpg

And here is a thing is picked up today, for £2.99 it was a foil blind packed micromachine Star Wars vehicle, I think the pack said 10 to collect. I chanced it hoping I could get something to use as debris but got everyone's least favourite Naboo Starfighter. I gave it a quick repaint though because it's about in scale with the X-Wing stuff. Here it is with a Z95 for comparison. Might use it as some sort of objective or maybe a scum ship if I can find decent rules.

image.jpg

So I just got into x-wing, with zero gaming experience under my belt and the only thing I've ever painted is my car. I'm fascinated by all these customizations and paint jobs and am keen as mustard to give it a crack myself!

Do you blokes make it up as you go? Or is there some sort of painting techniques bible and a kit for noobs?

Any advice for a direction to head in to start with would be awesome!

Cheers fellas

Ben

So I just got into x-wing, with zero gaming experience under my belt and the only thing I've ever painted is my car. I'm fascinated by all these customizations and paint jobs and am keen as mustard to give it a crack myself!

Do you blokes make it up as you go? Or is there some sort of painting techniques bible and a kit for noobs?

Any advice for a direction to head in to start with would be awesome!

Cheers fellas

Ben

Hi Ben, I'm not the most awesome painter by any means but I do really enjoy it. I've been painting on and off for over 15 years so have picked up a handful of tips I would suggest;

-The first is that painting miniature things isn't actually like painting real size objects. The way light behaves on a miniature betrays it as being small, so you're trying to achieve the illusion that it's full size. This boils down to the fact that flat block colours don't look right so you will need highlights and shading. Look up the techniques of drybrushing and using washes; those are easy techniques that are invaluable. Then look up edge highlighting which is also useful for ships.

-Be prepared to spend about £20 initially for a paint 'set'; I can't tell you what colours to buy because it depends what you're doing but don't forget the 'boring' colours like white, grey, black, brown and gunmetal. You'll use these the most. You can always mix paints too but generally that's a bit more advanced and unless I'm going to town I would rather not as you have to remember recipes and avoid contaminating your stuff. As time goes on you will get a decent set of paints. Store them properly and they will last for years.

-Buy model acrylics; Games Workshop, Privateer or Vallejo. Don't risk using odd paints. Water down your paints a tad; they go on smoother. Paint that looks blobby or streaky breaks the illusion.

-Undercoat is important. Here in the UK I mostly use £1 grey auto primer and it's as good as any model paints. Darker undercoat hides mistakes better but generally makes a less vivid paint job without multiple coats. White undercoats are easier for colours like yellow or pale blue. X Wing miniatures, being pre-painted, can actually be painted over pretty easily without undercoating if all you want to do is modify them.

-Varnish is also important. Protect your paint jobs! I use spray Matt varnish which actually helps colour come out. You can find it at model stores.

-Brushes; don't get the tiniest tiniest brush. Those are for special tasks. I generally use GWs standard brush because I'm used to it (it's the one with the orange tip). A slightly larger brush holds paint better. Buy a big one for base coats and drybrushing and a standard one for detailed work. Drybrushing with your standard brush will ruin the point.

-Don't start on something 'easy', start on something forgiving. I would suggest getting a Z-95 and giving it some scum paint job. Whatever you fancy. That way it doesn't have to be perfect; scum don't keep their ships in super clean condition. If you blob some paint somewhere it doesn't belong the mistake won't be as obvious. Plus the Z-95 has a mix of surfaces to try out.

Hello All! First post. Not sure whether I made a mistake here but I decided to do a pinup on a TIE for a bit of variety. Definite 'tabletop' quality in that she looks passable from a distance! Now my TIEs aren't uniform anymore but I have a way to identify my ace. Wondering whether to balance it out with a blood stripe on the other side?image.jpg

You could balance it out with some kill-marks (Little rebel firebirds, x-wing Xs) and go full WW2 fighter style.

I finished my asteroid project.  Also, I had painted a Virago a while ago, but hadn't taken a photo of it.  So here's an album with the ship and the asteroids:

http://imgur.com/a/l1MuF

And for those who don't wish to go to another site, here are a few of the pictures in question:

C7NB1EV.jpg

Qi3E1E0.jpgRv27qfs.jpg

I painted starfields on one side and nebulae on the other.  The bases are made of Sculpey with a bit of metal inside to allow the magnetic stands I made to function.  I used a roller and pressed the Sculpey into the cardboard from the original core set from which the asteroids were extracted.  This made some duplicate asteroids that were exactly the same shape as the official ones.

The standard GW red...whatever that is now. I think it's Mephiston or Bhaal red? The bright one that isn't a base layer. Dab it on semi-dry. A few coats. It won't look too bright and will be slightly mottled which looks good.

You definitely need model masking tape though!

Also thanks Kelvin for the suggestion but I did just do a simple blood stripe in the end! I have trouble getting things like kill-marks to look in scale!

Edited by Sbloom141

Figured I'd make another update with some of the commissions I've had artists put together for me. Just a reminder, I'm talentless here - I'll try to credit the artists as I go along!

Rik_beal is a super great Australian who put together a ton of different TIE repaints for me, so I thought I'd have him do some work with some Rebels next:

An obligatory Poe Dameron:

bBRW7Rkl.jpg

Tala Squadron 1, 2 and 3 lead by Lt. Blount:

cspIzYIl.jpg

A Gray Squadron Y-Wing with a magnetized turret fending off the advances of a Syndicate Thug:

Lvx5SMYl.jpg

Red 2, 3 and 5:

G2DkTPPl.jpg

A very nice Blue Squadron B-Wing with a magnetized cockpit:

eizXVAcl.jpg

More!

Here's a very nice Squadron of TIE Interceptors repainted by forums member Winterdyne, I think he may have posted these here once already but they're magnetized now!

ntscICal.jpg

with some truly amazing detail work on the cockpits:

dxbF6rCl.jpg

A Black E-Wing painted by forums member Groblog:

PBJlccel.jpg

an Airen Cracken by the same:

oKG4i9xl.jpg

and a really cool pair of X-Wings, plus a very nice YT-2400 packing some additional firepower on magnetized mounts:

QwQS1pil.jpg

I also recently started working with an artist off ebay, goes by marinecorpsart there.

He painted up this N'Dru (every collection needs one!) The Binayre's in the back are by www.imagereplicas.com

3gDvHGql.jpg

Marinecorpsart also did these excellent TIE Interceptor Aces:

0CBe5val.jpg

cfXrJFrl.jpg

Both are based on repaints by Rodent Mastermind who sadly seems to have retired from the community. 

and finally this super awesome B-Wing with a magnetized stand and cockpit, based partially on a MacrossV1 repaint (http://alternativewargamer.blogspot.com/2015/06/orange-b-wing.html)

6AozForl.jpg

with folding S-Foils!

jZ1gZBtl.jpg