Sign in to follow this  
herbie93

Imperial Repaint Ideas

Hello all,

I'm thinking about doing some repaints to add a bit more "hobby-ness" to the game as I come form the standard war-gaming mini background, and was wondering how people come up with their repaint ideas?

I know the Phantom cloak and the Scarlett Firespray are popular repaints but where does anybody get the other ideas? I'm not to familiar with the old/defunct EU so I was hoping maybe there's fluff reasons behind some of the choices, or perhaps it's just as simple as "hey this tie fighter would look good in purple".

Thanks for any and all responses.

Imperials don't have a whole lot going for them in repaints since they don't want pilots getting attached to their ships.  Bloodstripes are popular.  I've put them on my Defender and my Decimator.  Gamma Squadron (bombers) had a single white stripe on their wings (visible in the card art).

A few folks have started doing the Episode 7 paint scheme for their TIE's.  We'll probably see some more paint schemes come from the new movies.

As far as firesprays go I've done a Krassis Trellix repaint on one of mine.

This is definitely more readily done with Rebels and Scum in my opinion, as most of the Imperial ships were meant to look pretty uniform and fly in large groups. I've seen some people choose some basic color changes that they then apply to all of their TIEs to maintain that idea while giving their ships a more personal look (one guy I know added a faint yellow overwash to all of his TIEs).

I made my Firespray look like Slave I in Jango Fett guise, but otherwise all of my repaints were for scum and rebels, particularly Z95s and Y-Wings.

I've seen a nice fleet locally where the owner gave all of the ships a uniform color (you'll notice they vary a bit between models) and distinctive highlights (the one I'm thinking of had blue markings at the top and bottom of all the wing panels) to give the fleet a unified feel. It looks really cool to see Interceptors, bombers, Phantoms, and standard TIEs all in uniform livery.

The uniform fleet coloring is interesting to me, but I if I were to add things like blood stripes I'd probably do something other than red to make it unique.

I had considered as a singular repaint doing Echo as her card art shows her ship a light gray with blue paneling...not sure I'd want that for a whole fleet though.

Maybe a google image search is in order...

Hy,

I used to paint some imperials very slightly. You may always pick crimson red for the crimson guard but don't overdo it. In most cases I just put on minor accents (like the posting above mine) since the imperium should always look uniform. If you pick too much color it might look a bit weird. Furthermore I prefer to always have one ship without repainting...

If I have some time I'll come up with some pics at the weekend.

Thanks Xmage for the picture, I had the same idea for blood stripes on the interceptors...I hate that the standard ones look like they just took a spray brush or whatever and threw a line over everything.

I have a spare Interceptor that'll probably never get used (5 total) so I can use that for testing.

How do you guys start the repaint? Strip and prime or just a new layer of primer, or with small ships does it even matter and just start layering on new paint?

Scum/Imp generic Firespray.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/182395-firespray/

I think monochrome colors work well for the Imperials (they're boring that way),  but XMage took a nice angle on the blue accent TIEs above.

Stripping paint is generally unnecessary. Clean the models to remove dust/extra bits of plastic, then paint away!

Edited by stackeffect

If you have Imperial ships, why not try a really subtle camouflage scheme on the wing panels. Two or three shades of grey, but keep the shades fairly close to each other.

Just go all the way and use 50 shades of gray.

Many people agree that Imperials should stick to their uniform color schemes, some even going so far as to be annoyed when they see imperials out of their usual dark drab colors. My only way of getting around this is to describe my Imperials as a faction consisting of Imperial deserters that fled to the outer rim and then banded together to form a sort of raiding party. They fight any Imperials who discover them and try to eliminate them, all the while working as a mercenary faction taking money for bounties on any Rebel or rival Scum forces in the area. They are the Greenfire Mercenary Company.

Kinda of a loosely drawn up backstory. I haven't put a lot of time into cementing proper details, but it explains why my imperial ships face other imperial ships and also gives me the same freedom as scum to paint up my minis however I see fit as I basically describe them as a scum faction. Some people may think it's dumb but I'm happy with it. As soon as I actually get around to painting my minis I'll post them up somewhere lol  :P