Sign in to follow this  
Bloodstripe Baron

Dice blaming

I don't like to blame dice.

I also don't blame green dice- even if your cloaked at range 3 through an asteroid- your still in a position where you can possibly get shot.

What I blame, is red dice.

Sorry, I'm frustrated from yesterday. Easily, my worst day of public x-wing ever.

Great position- I had it.

Focus tokens-I usually had them. (I fly ties, so target lock wasn't an option)

To sum up my day, I had two ties and a shuttle at range 1 of a b-wing. (10 attack dice)

I took off one shield.

I have never seen so many blank red dice in one day. My green dice were fine, and my positioning was usually pretty good. But I couldn't kill a single thing for most of the game...

Boo

Everyone can give you the stats on"expected damage" or "expected damage mitigation" but when red dice return that blank face knowing the odds provides little comfort. I know the pain of 11 blanks total on 3 consecutive attacks in one round.

Somebody puts out a video called "What are the Odds". Michael Starbird does the presentation and he's a professor of mathematics at some college. He explains odds and why you lose at roulette among other things. It won't make you feel any better but it is interesting. Just remembered the company is The Great Courses.

Sometimes, when the red dice abandon you, the only way to crush your opponent's fleet is with a hammer.

[...]

Sometimes, when the red dice abandon you, the only way to crush your opponent's fleet is with a hammer.

Easy there Ezma.. and it's Microwave Wars... that way you get to shoot sorta lazers at your opponent's ships..

I've gamed for too long to get annoyed at a good or a bad roll, it's all part of the game :P

What does annoy me is when luck slaps you in the face: you roll amazingly and nothing happens because the opponent rolls amazingly too, or he rolls terribly but he still succeeds because you roll even worse.

Something like that happened to me in a tournament game: Range 1 shot (and a TL) with Xizor on a 2 HP Corran with an Evade token. I get 2 hits 2 crits, opponent proceeds to roll 3 evades.

When you silly people see the error in your dice-gambling, thrill-seeking ways, I have the perfect plastic crack for you:  

Captain Oicunn (42)

Ruthlessness (3)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Darth Vader (3)

Lieutenant Colzet (23)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

5 nearly guaranteed ways to do damage.  No green dice on the mainstay.  

Oicunn ramming
Palpatine critting
Ruthlessness splashing
Vader choking
AC correcting

glhf friends.  

I don't always gamble, but when I do, I drink 

[...]

Easy there Ezma.. and it's Microwave Wars... that way you get to shoot sorta lazers at your opponent's ships..

Ezma?

00001225.png

Dice have nothing to do with this, R2 is cheating.

Chewie's list:

[21] WRookiee Pilot

[27] Outer Rim Smuggler

[16] Rebel Operative

[17] Prototype Pilot

[18] Gold Squadron Pilot

99pts

R2's list:

[12] Academy Pilot

[12] Academy Pilot

[18] Alpha Squadron Pilot

[21] Omicron Group Pilot

[21] Tempest Squadron Pilot

[33] Bounty Hunter

117pts

I once shot at a Decimator with an HLC-packing IG-88B with Predator against a totally defenceless Decimator...

...and missed completely.

Worst, he's a droid, so he doesn't even get properly red-faced with shame!

[...]

Ezma?

Whenever I hear the words "Crush" and "Hammer" I have running through my mind this:

https://youtu.be/5Cx7jzq2Bx4

and my bad, typo; it's Yzma not Ezma....

The dice run hot and cold, last night my partner flogged me 100-0 and I could swear every attack hit, hit, crit without fail! The greens had no chance against natural reds that are consistently 3 hits.

To top it off my proton rockets with modification had only 2 hits, almost flipped the table lol.

I don't like to blame dice.

I have never seen so many blank red dice in one day. My green dice were fine, and my positioning was usually pretty good. But I couldn't kill a single thing for most of the game...

Strong with the Dark Side, they are.

[...]

Ezma?

Whenever I hear the words "Crush" and "Hammer" I have running through my mind this:

https://youtu.be/5Cx7jzq2Bx4

and my bad, typo; it's Yzma not Ezma....

Gotcha. That's pretty funny.

00001225.png

Chewie's list:

[21] WRookiee Pilot

[27] Outer Rim Smuggler

[16] Rebel Operative

[17] Prototype Pilot

[18] Gold Squadron Pilot

99pts

R2's list:

[12] Academy Pilot

[12] Academy Pilot

[21] Omicron Group Pilot

[33] Bounty Hunter

117pts

Maybe they're playing a 150 point game and Chewie already lost Biggs and another X-wing, and R2-D2 only lost an academy pilot?

Chewie's list:

[21] WRookiee Pilot

[27] Outer Rim Smuggler

[16] Rebel Operative

[17] Prototype Pilot

[18] Gold Squadron Pilot

99pts

R2's list:

[12] Academy Pilot

[12] Academy Pilot

[21] Omicron Group Pilot

[33] Bounty Hunter

117pts

Maybe they're playing a 150 point game and Chewie already lost Biggs and another X-wing, and R2-D2 only lost an academy pilot?

This is R2-D2, Supreme Huttbag we're talking about here.

It's Murphy's Law that's to blame here.

Worked with a guy some years ago and his take on "Murphy's Law" was that Murphy was an optimist.

FWIW: There really was a Murphy. Captain in charge of rocket sled testing and data acquisition.

all dice are fickle to a degree, but I can't agree that reds are really huge problem. They have their moments of absolute horses***, but never as much as green.

the main reason is the higher chances of success, especially because you can stack re-rolls and focus on top of them to get an incredibly reliable output that will only **** you every one in ninety games or so

green dice, meanwhile, **** you on a game by game basis. Either they completely blank out and force you to lose ships to shots that should never in a million years have connected, or your blocked opponent starts farting out perfect evades from naked dice and then goes on to outdamage you despite you having played far better.

Edited by ficklegreendice