Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Star Wars: Aftermath sneak peek

Present Tence is a bit jarring, but it looks ike they're trying to rewrite the early EU to bring it in line with the events of the clone wars.

As good as the thrawn trilogy is, it was de-canonized by Lucas himself, by implication, when the cloners were the "good guys" of the clone wars.

That writing is just.... bad.

And I don't even have anything against present tense.

Yes, I'm relieved to say I can skip these books. The author can't even decide if the name of the person Wedge is impersonating is Hessan or Hassan (it flips back and forth several times).

And this character is supposed to have helped Lando build Cloud City? I could've swore that "Lando must've conned somebody out of it"...

One thing I liked from reading this - If this guy can get a book with these writing skills, perhaps I can too! :)

He pulls up his datapad. Scrolls through the list with a tap of the button on the side. (He has to hit it a few extra times just to get it to go—if there’s one thing he looks forward to when all this is over, it’s that maybe they’ll start to get new tech. Somehow, this datapad had actual sand in it, and that’s why the buttons stick.) The list of planets clicks past.

That reads like a high schooler's attempt at a screenplay. The author had to tell us the reference to the sand was making the buttons stick? We couldn't figure that out ourselves?

Wedge grabbed his datapad. A few taps of a side button only resulted in a seizure of repeated clicks and a muffled snarl, "Sand in the blasted buttons, when are we gettin' some new tech, I thought we won this war?!" With a cheerful "nothing's-wrong-here" beep, the planet list suddenly splashed upon the pad's screen.

Ignoring the writing style/skills, I also had issue with the obvious realworld references in scenes that kept tossing me out of the Star Wars universe. For example, "cop" and "police cruiser", instead of something more Star Warzy like "security trooper" and "police speeder" that is less about realworld slang and lingo.

Edited by Sturn

As good as the thrawn trilogy is, it was de-canonized by Lucas himself, by implication, when the cloners were the "good guys" of the clone wars.

If my memory serves me right, the biggest discrepancies between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Prequels was a single conversation between Thrawn and Pellaeon about fighting clones and the method of cloning done (Kaminoan versus the other thing). Later writers just retconned a few workaround explanations in. Saying it was booted from canon is a bit extreme.

If my memory serves me right, the biggest discrepancies between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Prequels was a single conversation between Thrawn and Pellaeon about fighting clones and the method of cloning done (Kaminoan versus the other thing). Later writers just retconned a few workaround explanations in. Saying it was booted from canon is a bit extreme.

Yeah it wasn't until the Clone Wars IMO that EU/Legends and canon became unsociable. Most of the differences before TCW were pretty minor. The Republic navy which appeared in a comic released shortly a few months before Episode II but set more then a decade before Episode I was retroconned to be a group of allied local defense fleets assembled by supporters of a centralized military and passing themselves off as a Republic navy. Palleon remembered fighting clones because the CIS tried to create its own clone army during the war in the EU. Jedi who were married in the EU either did so secretly who were part of non-Dark side Jedi splinter sects that allowed marriage and so on.

The Clone Wars however started doing massive changes to climates of worlds, massive alterations to cultures and their history, and then started killing characters who the EU showed dying after the war, other otherwise doing major changes to the fates of characters whose fate had been established in the EU.

Edited by RogueCorona

Never mind the in-universe lore. How about the fact that the guy writes like a 13-year old trying for his first blockbuster movie script? And someone in some other thread said something about how "Hemingway wrote like that"? Papa would crawl out of his grave and beat you to death with a copy of A Farewell to Arms for saying that!

Can't say I get people's objections.  It's far better than Dark Disciple, or anything else that's come out lately.  It's definitely a different style (which I'm used to from his other works), but he immediately gets into the character's heads, something almost no SW books do well.  An exception might be the Medstar duology, and maybe a couple others.

One thing I liked from reading this - If this guy can get a book with these writing skills, perhaps I can too! :)

Ignoring the writing style/skills, I also had issue with the obvious realworld references in scenes that kept tossing me out of the Star Wars universe. For example, "cop" and "police cruiser", instead of something more Star Warzy like "security trooper" and "police speeder" that is less about realworld slang and lingo.

Obviously the agent/editor didn't do a proof read. They saw Star Wars, then saw £$£$£$ and sent it to the printers...

Edited by ExpandingUniverse

Never mind the in-universe lore. How about the fact that the guy writes like a 13-year old trying for his first blockbuster movie script? And someone in some other thread said something about how "Hemingway wrote like that"? Papa would crawl out of his grave and beat you to death with a copy of A Farewell to Arms for saying that!

It seems more like he's the antithesis of Hemingway. Hemingway's sparse narrative was basically the definition of "show, don't tell". He told the facts in such a basic and precise form that he allowed the reader to pull the implications from it themselves. This guy's writing style is brisk and choppy, but it doesn't follow Hemingway's philosophy in any way. He's applying that style in such a way that he explains every little detail, and projects himself into the heads of these characters in the most insipid and shallow ways.

Can't say I get people's objections.  It's far better than Dark Disciple, or anything else that's come out lately.  It's definitely a different style (which I'm used to from his other works), but he immediately gets into the character's heads, something almost no SW books do well.  An exception might be the Medstar duology, and maybe a couple others.

I don't know... This might sound pretentious, but the criteria for a good book in the SW universe shouldn't be held to different standards than plain-old good books. I love the universe as much as anyone, but I don't see the point in subjecting myself to sub-par writing just because it's set in a world that holds nostalgic value to me.

I don't know... This might sound pretentious, but the criteria for a good book in the SW universe shouldn't be held to different standards than plain-old good books. I love the universe as much as anyone, but I don't see the point in subjecting myself to sub-par writing just because it's set in a world that holds nostalgic value to me.

Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is a different standard.  I can't really expect much from derivative works, I have yet to read a SW novel that could stand on its own.  If I want good sci-fi I look over my Iain Banks collection, or Kim Stanley Robinson or the like.  I really like Wendig's Miriam Black series (so far), if he brings that sass and fire and character insight to SW I'll be "content", which is about as positive as I expect to get from a SW book.

It's amusing how much ire this has generated, given that all the previous "clearly finger painted" offerings have been greeted with a shrug.  But who knows, maybe I'll rue my initial enthusiasm...

It's amusing how much ire this has generated, given that all the previous "clearly finger painted" offerings have been greeted with a shrug.  But who knows, maybe I'll rue my initial enthusiasm...

I have read only a few star wars books in my time, and while they suffered from bad story telling or just a bad story they at least had proper sentence structures and grammar.

I feel as if whatever was posted on this article was an accident. One of the initial skeleton drafts used to get a bunch of words onto paper and then refine them later. Its almost as if someone sent the wrong file to upload to the article. I am hopeful this isn't the final product.

Yes, I'm relieved to say I can skip these books. The author can't even decide if the name of the person Wedge is impersonating is Hessan or Hassan (it flips back and forth several times).

And this character is supposed to have helped Lando build Cloud City? I could've swore that "Lando must've conned somebody out of it"...

Well, Lando did build it, from a certain point of view.

From which point of view, exactly?

From which point of view, exactly?

Build could be metaphoric, like improving the economic and industrial structures and increasing business.

I just preordered that book two days ago :mellow: .

To be honest, most star wars novels I read were of substandard writing, while others I found amazing (bounty hunter tales for example).

This is bad.

It's not super-bad, or phantom-menace-dialouge-bad, but still bad. hopefully it's not nearly a final version, but as Rebels and other stuff published since the disney takeover shows, they are "keeping it simple" for children.

Don't forget, Star Wars is a childrens franchise since clone wars, this easily may become the "first big book" for some kids if you know what I mean.

Don't hate the medium, hope for a good story behind the writing.

Or bribe DC from Warmahordes to do the writing. That guy packs some serious penmanship. :D

Edited by derroehre