Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Dakotan

The Painting sub forum is gone.

One can only speculate the reasoning behind "internal concerns" (I have my own theories which would be inappropriate to share), but suffice to say that it was not just Imperial Assault that lost its painting and conversion subforums.

One can only speculate the reasoning behind "internal concerns" (I have my own theories which would be inappropriate to share), but suffice to say that it was not just Imperial Assault that lost its painting and conversion subforums.

Isn't angry speculation what internet forums are for?! Share away

It's non-nonsensical that they would remove the sub-forum but allow the topics to continue to be posted. Have any of the painting threads disappeared?

we could always just keep posting new ones until they get the point of "our paint jobs can't be stopped from public viewing"

that or make our own forums that are free of lawyers and leave this one to die as it rightfully should

To be honest, IA probably didn't need a paint forum. There are only a handful of minis that people generally vary on painting - Nexus, Trandos, Saboteurs and maybe different Imperial Officer uniform and RG Champ colors. Everything else is pretty much painted "stock color schemes" in practically every paint thread I viewed.

To be honest, IA probably didn't need a paint forum. There are only a handful of minis that people generally vary on painting - Nexus, Trandos, Saboteurs and maybe different Imperial Officer uniform and RG Champ colors. Everything else is pretty much painted "stock color schemes" in practically every paint thread I viewed.

Of course Stormtroopers will look like stormtroopers. People still want to post their proud work and I like watching them. I liked to browse through different painting threads looking for examples and inspiration for my own painting. A subforum made 100% sense and removing it makes absolutely zero. How am I going to find a cool paint job now if it's say 2 months old?

Edited by Hipsu

If a paint job is stock or if it's original, it doesn't matter. Having a single location where examples of both are readily accessible supports the community. Removing the forum just makes it more difficult for those who enjoy looking at and painting these minis. 

The main thought seems to be too many posts about non-FFG ships and products, which could I suppose infringe on Disney/LFL licensing agreements. Yay lawyers!

Then they should've had a rule about that to begin with, rather then removing a subforum that mad eit easier for people like me who wanted to stay on top of that particular subject.

Also, "Internal Concerns"? What kind of a reason is THAT for the people like myself who put our time and effort into the painitng and customizing the models FFG makes, essentially giving them free publicity with our work, and raising people's itnerest in products they might have otherwise not liked?

Seriously, are we delaing with FFG or GW? (Note: I'm a 40k player. Have been since late 3rd/early 4th edition. So yeah, not just senseless "hurr durr Games Workshop" stuff.)

IA needed a painting forum the most, considering the other two games are X-Wing and Armada.

It's non-nonsensical that they would remove the sub-forum but allow the topics to continue to be posted. Have any of the painting threads disappeared?

This right here. Removing the sub forum makes no sense whatsoever. If they're worried about some of the things that were being posted, as someone speculated above, wouldn't having all the painting posts in one place make it easier for them to track down the offending posts?

I haven't started painting mine yet (being completely new to it, I'm practicing on my Reaper Bones until I get better, then I'll start on IA), and that was actually the main reason I came to the forums. Yeah, all the threads are still here, but it was so much nicer having all the painting threads in one place.

No reason not to batch paint the pair of wookies!  I think they should probably back down in this scenario though.

Will miss the painting forum.  Unfortunately, it'll just mean the same content will be mixed in and disorganise amongst other discussions.  Bad for people who don't care about painting and bad for those who just want to find good painting advice and examples.

Seems like a bad decision in the absence of a good explanation.

Edited by drleets