Sign in to follow this  
CenterPoint

What happened to the painting and conversion subforum?

I just got up and was looking over to see what's new; Lo' I saw a few of the common painting threads at the top thinking 'kay' and was going to open them up when I noticed some of the general stuff in there. “Hah, they posted in the wrong sub forum! Silly sorts, aaaah.... wait. Oh. Horned Rat... this is General.  That's my topic.  What did I do?! This is somehow my fault isn't it?!”

A few seconds after the paranoia wore off, I couldn't help but wonder if this is intentional, if the sub forum closed, etc. It's going to be a little messy for a bit I guess. No complaints from me though: I usually browse both at the same time, so it's sort of the 'regular updates section'. :P I don't expect it'll last long. Much like my paranoid delusional despair.

I just got up and was looking over to see what's new; Lo' I saw a few of the common painting threads at the top thinking 'kay' and was going to open them up when I noticed some of the general stuff in there. “Hah, they posted in the wrong sub forum! Silly sorts, aaaah.... wait. Oh. Horned Rat... this is General.  That's my topic.  What did I do?! This is somehow my fault isn't it?!”

A few seconds after the paranoia wore off, I couldn't help but wonder if this is intentional, if the sub forum closed, etc. It's going to be a little messy for a bit I guess. No complaints from me though: I usually browse both at the same time, so it's sort of the 'regular updates section'. :P I don't expect it'll last long. Much like my paranoid delusional despair.

This was along my thoughts as well. I saw your thread and was like "Hmmmm am I in the painting subforum for some reason?" turns out I was not and then I got confused. . . 

This is actually pretty bad for us here in the Armada section simply because we have a TON of painting threads. . . and if that makes everything else get lost in the jumble I may lose views and comments on my blog and youtube channel. . . 

Oh don't get me wrong, this is gonna be messy( and I love organization), it's going to be crowded for a while, it's going to send a lot of things into disarray, it's probably going to hedge out a lot of topics that don't get snapped up or aren't readily established yet, but on that one lingering selfish note: It's basically my update stream between vaguely checking rules, lists, and trying to figure out off-topic :P

I guess it says something in general as my fear was that the painting topics were going to be crowded out by the general topics and that was my new worry of the day :P

I just got a reply from FFG

I got your message regarding the Star Wars Painting and Conversions sub-forums. Due to an internal concern, we have removed all of our Painting and Conversion sub-forums. As you may have noticed, the threads from those sub-forums have been moved back to the main discussion forums for the game.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

FFG Webmaster

Take from that what you will.

They must not have been that concerned about being under a microscope, otherwise why wouldn't they have deleted the posts instead of just moving them?

How do you submit a complaint?  It must be about time to head home on a Friday where I get all dumb and can't find stuff...

Edited by Ken-Obi

The trouble the wargame industry now faces is the ever increasing amount of games that deal with highly popular subject matter, where it once did not exist at all. These licenses, such as Star Wars, have a lot of rules and regulations to using this subject matter during game creation I assume. Conversions and custom creations in most games is acceptable from a modeling point of view, and generally seen in frequent regularity. This will change. Custom model makers are now under a microscope that was simply not present a few years ago. With larger more lucrative licenses being turned into games, the active protection and or policing of that model making community will be harder felt.

Anyway, this is all just speculative, and or paranoid ranting. But isn't that half the fun of the internet?

I don't think it has anything to do with licensing. As has been mentioned, they didn't remove any threads, just aren't organizing them anymore, plus, (I think) the dust forums also had painting and modelling sections removed today.

So I didn't just have a brain fart, here's me telling the boss (shsnbn) that my fave sub-forum has disappeared, low n behold this is where y'all are hiding. Dear FFG thanks for trying to make us happy, but I'm afraid, M-I-C-K-E-Y. M-O-U-S-E, Mickey Mouse, MICKEY MOUSE, Mickey Mouse, MICKEY MOUSE...

@ Stasy, cheers for the new tag line.