Sign in to follow this  
nathankc

Paint / Color Comparison

I'm just getting started and found these charts that seem helpful if you can't find the correct Citadel colors: (used in Sorastro's tutorials)

http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/blog/paint-comparison-chart-citadel-vallejo-game-colour/

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/da452dd99dbe2199bcad5462114f55bf/cartacolor_ModelWash.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------

List of all paints used in the Sorastro videos: 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro/videos

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mechanicus Grey
White Scar
Rhinox Hide
Abaddon Black
Ryza Rust
Mephiston Red
Nuln Oil
'Ardcoat Gloss
Necron Compound
Agrax Earthshade
Celestra Grey
Runefang Steel
Leadbelcher
Evil Sunz Scarlet
Bloodletter
Wild Rider Red
Carroburg Crimson
Kislev Flesh
Stagadon Scale Green
Dark Reaper
Reikland Fleshshade
Drankenhof Nightshade
Thunderhawk Blue
Guilliman Blue
Waywatcher Green
Lahmian Medium
Caledor Sky
Administration Grey
Striland Mud
Typhus Corrosion
XV-88
Terminus Stone
Russ Grey
Fenrisian Grey
Ceramite White
Ironbreaker
Ogryn Camo
Flash Gitz Yellow
Steel Legion Drab
Fuegan Orange
Athonian Camoshade
Biel-Tan Green
Screamer Pink
Ushabti Bone
Lamenters Yellow
Stormvermin Fur
Coelia Greenshade
Screaming Skull
Tyrant Skull
Deamonette Hide
Bugman's Glow
Druchii Violet
Eshin Grey
Fire Dragon Bright
Yriel Yellow

#painting #paint #custom #iapainting
Edited by nathankc

I suspect it is - since that is what Sorastro uses in the videos - I wanted to go Citadel but found them to be very expensive online - ($8 on Amazon per bottle)

The local hobby stores near me have the Vallejo for $3 and Citadel for $4 so that was better

I picked up some basic colors (grey, white, gloss, red) of Vallejo Model Color but I couldn't find a Vallejo wash a'la Nuln Oil (although they supposedly make one) but that wash is so important I just went with Citadel for the extra couple of bucks locally (which is way better than online - now that I found a local source I might just go with Citadel when it comes time for new bottles).

So far so good I think - I'm pleased with the results I've had from the Vallejo Model Color bottles I've used - i'm sure any problems on my first trooper model are related to my shaky butterfingers as opposed to a problem with the paint :)

Edit: also I'll add that I really like the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (ex: http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Surface-Primer-180ml-Spray/dp/B000BMXRUM)

I think it lays down a pristine layer of primer. I noticed the Army Painter primer can sometimes look lumpy.

Good luck!

Edited by nathankc

I'm a newbie painter, and I've been doing a mix of Citadel and Army Painter (unfortunately my FLGSs don't have Vallejo or Reaper).  I like each for different reasons.

I really like Citadel's Base paint range for doing quick base coats.  They have high pigmentation, so it's easy to get a good coat on with one paint.  Citadel's Nuln Oil is truly a fantastic product.  However, Citadel is more expensive.  Citadel's philosophy seems to be prime in any color, apply the base, then a color wash, then 2 layers of highlights.

Army Painter is a full $1.25 cheaper, and I find that it's lower in pigmentation overall.  This makes it great for mixing and highlighting, but not as good for base coating.  I think Army Painter's philosophy is prime in a color, highlight by mixing paints, and then shade for the finished product.

Citadel seems more newbie friendly, but you definitely pay a premium for each pot.  Army Painter gives me almost double the paint for 25% less, but as a newbie I wouldn't use them exclusively for my Imperials as I feel uniformity is important.

Edited by Teirdome

Citadel is MORE expensive on amazon? Interesting. My FLGS has what seems like a good selection of Citadel for around $4 a bottle so I might just start with that when I get around to it.

Gunna start with X-Wing I think since they're prepainted and I won't have to do a whole basecoard and that stuff. Seems like a good starting point. 

Vallejo's Model Colors might be a reasonable alternative to Citadel's Base for basecoating. They have a reasonably high pigmentation, certainly higher than their Game Colors range. Not as high as Citadel's Base though. Model Color's white won't go over a black primer in a single coat like Citadel's Ceramite White seems to do.

edit: Well I just learned something new. According to the paint comparison charts Vallejo Model has an extra opaque white called Foundation White to compete with Citadel's Ceramite. I've got to buy that stuff. :)

Anyways, Vallejo sells Game Color "Extra Opaque" paints and I've read somewhere that they are actually regular Model colors just re-branded to the Game line. I bought them and they certainly feel like Model colors to me. I'm in transition slowly moving from Game to Model, as I like the Model line much better.

As to the washes, a great alternative to Citadel's washes are Army Painter's Quickshade Inks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Army-Painter-Warpaints-Quickshade-Ink/dp/B00HC8D80W/

I tried them myself side by side with Citadel's. In my experiments Dark Tone was identical to Nuln Oil, and Strong Tone was identical to Agrax Earthshade. And the other inks are great too. I've used them all with great results.

I haven't tried Army Painter's regular non-wash paints, but based on a video I saw, I think they're comparable to Vallejo's Game Colors when it comes to coverage...

Edited by Hipsu

Thanks. I'm going to try get into painting soon. This looks like it could come in handy. 

Is Citadel not the go-to for most people?

I'm looking to start painting as well, and from what I've read the citadel paints tend to dry out fast.  I haven't bought anything yet, just relaying what I've read elsewhere.

Edited by LethalDose

Thanks. I'm going to try get into painting soon. This looks like it could come in handy. 

Is Citadel not the go-to for most people?

I'm looking to start painting as well, and from what I've read the citadel paints tend to dry out fast.  I haven't bought anything yet, just relaying what I've read elsewhere.

Their older hexagonal shaped pots, definitely. Mine are rock dry after 5 years. But I dunno about their new pots, they feel more airtight. I guess time will tell.

(If I started today, I'd buy Vallejo Model Colors almost exclusively, except washes from Army Painter, but that's just me.)

Edited by Hipsu