Sign in to follow this  
surly88

Rebel Y-Wings: Turrets? Bombs? Title? Too. Many. Options ...

I played the "standard" 25 Y-Wing with R3-A2 and Ion Turret quite a bit and it soon became one of my favourite ships in the current metagame.

However looking through listjuggler and other lists that get posted, there are way more versions around, so I'd would be really interested how they get used.

(only concering the Rebel Y-Wings, Scum has quite some cool options too though)

Turrets: beside the Ion version Autoblaster Turret show up pretty frequent. I haven't seen them in action yet, so I can't really say how valuable they are. On paper Range 1 on a PS2 ship sounds like a big downside though. Have seen them in packs of 5 with nothing else but also as a 1-2 wingman for e.g. Corran.

Title: most of the time I played the title so far it was kinda underwhelming. It's nice against stuff like a decimator, where those 2 attack dice really matter, but most of the time I just prefered having that 360° turret. In many tournament lists though the title shows up a lot, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Bombs: so far I've seen Proximity Mines and Seismic Bombs. I'm a huge fan of Proximity Mines but don't really see the value of Seismics ... I guess against swarms they're nice? No? I don't know ...

Long story short - c'mon Y-Wing pilots, share your wisdom with us :D

Autoblaster Ys are valuable as an area denial ship. Whether it's Coran, Soontir, or Fat Han there's a lot of damage mitigation going on. Autoblasters are a direct counter to that and those ace ships want nothing to do with them. They can shepherd ships around the board and push them into positions they don't like.

The Y-wing, quite appropriately given its lore as an old but heavily modified workhorse, is one of the most versatile ships in the game. It's one a very tough platform that doesn't rely on green dice, it serves as an ordnance carrier (Torpedo slots), a bomber with all the options that entails (Bomb Loadout), a turreted control platform (BTL-S3, Ion), a double stresser (R3-A2 with either Flechette or BTL-A4), a forward damage dogfighter (BTL-A4, Ion, an agility astromech), an agile ship swatter (Autoblaster), and in Wave VII it gets a long range attacks with Twin Laser Turret. It can be kitted out to 30 points and still be completely viable or can be as cheap as 20 with just the Autoblaster. The named pilots give it options for raw damage, dice reliability (Horton Salm, especially with TLT and Drea Renthal) or even support with Dutch Vander. And despite all those options, it doesn't crowd out other ships and all of those options are good in the right role.

If I could only have one ship, this'd be the one I'd have. With all its upgrade options together it stands out as one of FFG's masterpieces.

The versatility of the Y-Wing has been covered, which is the important thing. The only part left is to experiment! Do you prefer the area-control threat of the Ion Turret, or the increased damage of the Warthog BTL-A4/ICT loadout? I love Autoblaster Turrets and nothing else, they're cheap and tanky (take one, or two, or five!), but I've had more success there with Scum (3x AbT Ys and Xizor is a lot of fun). Something I'm really excited to try with Wave VII is to tweak my warthogs with the Ion Bomb; I've always felt the Y-Wing has a hard time really keeping a VIP in-arc without help, and while the R2 Astromech has been sort of useful, I'm looking forward to:

Gold Squadron Pilot  (18)

—Ion Cannon Turret (5)

—BTL-A4 title (0)

—Extra Munitions (2)

—Bomb Loadout (0)

—Ion Bombs (2)

—> 27 points

I think this will help with the arc-limiting title, since now if I've ionised someone on approach, I can drop the bomb, K-Turn, and know where they'll be when I use my 1- or 2-Straight greens to keep pounding them with the twin attacks. An R2 wouldn't hurt, but that depends on points. And if you're only bringing one, you could go with R3-A2 for stress, even though I've found your damage output suffers without actions. Scum of course will still like to take the R4 Agromech for actions or Unhinged Astro for manoeuvrability.

Since we're talking full control here, I'd probably fly them alongside a stress ship like Lone Wolf Wes Janson with R3-A2, a B-Wing with Tactician and/or Flechette Cannon, or a fully-loaded K-Wing (probably Miranda!) with Conner Nets and even more Ion Bombs.

I like how you didn't list torps in the title :P

(you were right not to)

the BTL-A4 is mainly for the ion turret, which does jack **** for damage on its own and the primary attack may well double that damage. Combined with R3-a2, god of stress, it gives you even more returns by double stressing soonts without waiting for ptl.

A 23-point goldie/thug with turret and title is a great pickup. A pair of them is more than twice as good.

The new TLT is going to be extremely effective with and without the title. There's no wrong build for it.

ABT is really effective on Y's in groups of 3 or more. I wouldn't probably use a single one too often. The bubble of threat is just too small.

Any Y-wing is a good Y-wing!

That said, Y-wings are amazing because they cover so many different roles (like others have said), but some of the really good combos include: Any Y +ICT +R3-A2 (title optional), Dutch +R7-T1 +Any turret +Any ship that loves TLs, Horton +TLT +R2-D6 +Predator (Never miss again!), Gold +TLT +R2 +title. One of the best parts of Ys is the customizability, so experiment!

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is Ys generally work best in pairs.

Rebels you moan you can't do enough with the y-wing so they give you bombs and the ability to fire twice with a fixed turret and still you cry.

No wonder your ineffective hissy fit failed to overthrow the legitimate government.

Too bad your Fels do squat against the fully armed and operational firepower of an R3-A2 Y-wing!

Imperials moan about turrets too much, no wonder their silly whining lost them both Death Stars.

Edited by YwingAce

Warden Squadron Pilot (23)

Extra Munitions (2)

Intelligence Agent (1)

Conner Net (4)

Advanced SLAM (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R2 Astromech (1)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Net an enemy, and laugh maniacally as your Ys finish him off!

Extra Munitions (2)

Intelligence Agent (1)

Conner Net (4)

Advanced SLAM (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R2 Astromech (1)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

Give the A-wing a Procket. It will be the killer blow in the trap.

Extra Munitions (2)

Intelligence Agent (1)

Conner Net (4)

Advanced SLAM (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R2 Astromech (1)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

Give the A-wing a Procket. It will be the killer blow in the trap.

You'd have to drop something, as without CR, you have 1 point left. I was thinking you could replace him with a Bandit or Tala with IPMs or Assault Missiles.

My default 4-Y build is 2x Gold and 2x Grey Squadron, each with an R2 Astro and Ion Cannon Turret. Solid list, though it suffered against my friend's Doom Cannon list (to be fair, so did everything else I flew against that...)

Another one I'd like to try is 4x Greys with R2 Astro and Engine Upgrade. Alternatively, 4x Hired Gun + Unhinged, which might actually work better, come to think of it...

My default 4-Y build is 2x Gold and 2x Grey Squadron, each with an R2 Astro and Ion Cannon Turret. Solid list, though it suffered against my friend's Doom Cannon list (to be fair, so did everything else I flew against that...)

Another one I'd like to try is 4x Greys with R2 Astro and Engine Upgrade. Alternatively, 4x Hired Gun + Unhinged, which might actually work better, come to think of it...

Ys without turrets? "You're braver then I thought"

Any Y-wing is a good Y-wing!   That said, Y-wings are amazing because they cover so many different roles (like others have said), but some of the really good combos include: Any Y +ICT +R3-A2 (title optional), Dutch +R7-T1 +Any turret +Any ship that loves TLs, Horton +TLT +R2-D6 +Predator (Never miss again!), Gold +TLT +R2 +title. One of the best parts of Ys is the customizability, so experiment!EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is Ys generally work best in pairs.  

Rebels you moan you can't do enough with the y-wing so they give you bombs and the ability to fire twice with a fixed turret and still you cry.No wonder your ineffective hissy fit failed to overthrow the legitimate government.

Too bad your Fels do squat against the fully armed and operational firepower of an R3-A2 Y-wing!Imperials moan about turrets too much, no wonder their silly whining lost them both Death Stars.

Which is why I pilot defenders with HLC, cuts through scum like a hot knife through butter, do those two damage I got the defences to take it unlike your chicken bone.

Ys without turrets? "You're braver then I thought"

Not that much different from the Title, maneuver-wise.

Even with all the current options for the Y-wing I would really like to see more Pilots for it.It is the only ship out of wave one that has 4 pilots. I know the Tie-Advanced just got theirs form the raider but still. For I ship I love, and I mostly run Scum this ship could use a little bit morelove on the pilot end.

Extra Munitions (2)

Intelligence Agent (1)

Conner Net (4)

Advanced SLAM (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R2 Astromech (1)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

Question.  In this squad, I would think the TLT should be with R3-A2.  Is there an official ruling/consensus on that interaction?  Can the Ywing take 3 stress to add 3 stress (1 from primary, 1 from each TLT shot?)