Sign in to follow this  
Wulfherr

Force Powers Preview Up

Link: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/16/the-powers-of-the-force/'

I like the insight into the creation of the powers.

And actually, if the graphic is any indication, it looks like the Heal/Harm power has undergone some significant changes from the Beta update 10. Looks a little simpler, which I can get on board with ;)

Edited by awayputurwpn

Oh, the insight is interesting, and I think some upgrades were moved around. Also the basic power cost was lowered to 15 XP and shouldn't there be a note that basic effect can only be activated once? I think it was so in Beta errata. 

and shouldn't there be a note that basic effect can only be activated once? I think it was so in Beta errata.

That's usually put into the longer descriptions because it'd take up too much space in the blocks.

Sadly, it seems they did not take my suggestion to make a visual change to the boxes on the trees to indicate multiple use is possible. A little change like color or a starburst on the corner (like in the normal trees) would do it.

One thing I found interesting is this (emphasis is mine): You may also spend Dark Side Force results if you’re a light side Force user, but it requires flipping a Destiny Point from light to dark and taking a strain. It may also create internal conflict for your character and ultimately, pull you towards the dark side.

I wonder if this means the gain of conflict is potentially situational.

...it solves my issue with the Dark Pips if that's the case.

If converting Darkness into Light is simply a lot of effort, (hence strain and destiny), then it doesn't feel wrong to do that in emergencies.

They didn't touch on what I think is the cleverest design idea for their Force system off all. They way that dark and light side pips are distributed on the die.

Light and Dark pips actually have the same averages, but the light side pips appear on fewer faces, but are more likely to be doubles. You're more likely to roll dark side pips but they're more likely to be singles.

Think back...

Luke: "Is the Dark Side stronger, Master Yoda?"

Yoda: "Stronger...? No. Easier."

The way those dice are done, it means you are often going to be tempted into using the Dark Side, and it means that for FR1/2 characters, the Dark Side really is "easier" in that whilst they're no more powerful, it's more available to them (or will seem it).

It's a subtle but beautiful design decision. Whoever came up with that deserves great respect.

As knasserII says http://maxmahem.net/wp/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-die-probabilities/

Force Die

Results on the force die can be calculated in a similar fashion. The light and dark side die have 8 pips of their respective type over the die’s 12 faces, and so a 2/3 or 66% chance of rolling a light side pip or dark side pip on any given dice. However the actual distribution of results on a single die is unequal. In the abstract the odds of an individual pip are equal, but any given die is more likely to roll a dark side pip (58.3%) than a light side pip (41.6%).

Edited by Josep Maria

Aye, funnily enough a Darkside user isn't stronger then a more balienced force user; they only have one instince of double pips while the lightside has three. Just it's more consistant (7 faces on the dice as apposed to 5) but you get weaker for it all in all. (because lightside users have the potential to generate more pips the more dice they have. Assuming no flipping of DP is going on.)

I like heal/harm, saw it in the beta but I feel it's probably as fine now, I always thought the hike from 10 to 20 exp was a tad heavy. I noticed that they also removed the condiction for having a partilar forcerating; it required a force rating of 2 in the beta if I recall correctly

Oh, the insight is interesting, and I think some upgrades were moved around. Also the basic power cost was lowered to 15 XP and shouldn't there be a note that basic effect can only be activated once? I think it was so in Beta errata. 

I've been curious about this. So some powers only be activated once per encounter?

I've been curious about this. So some powers only be activated once per encounter?

Not per encounter, but per action.

Aye, funnily enough a Darkside user isn't stronger then a more balienced force user; they only have one instince of double pips while the lightside has three. Just it's more consistant (7 faces on the dice as apposed to 5) but you get weaker for it all in all. (because lightside users have the potential to generate more pips the more dice they have. Assuming no flipping of DP is going on.)

To be precise, over the long term, both Dark Side and Light Side are equal in power. However, the Dark Side is a constant stream and Light Side is a more sporadic geyser. I like this because it does make Dark Side "easier" in that it's more available. Like a credit card. This is the way round it should be. The Light Side user will be attempting great things but very often the Dark Side will be present there for them to dip into. Just this once.

I think FFG have done something remarkable and created a "Dark Side" that actually does tempt players. After all, the consequence for the occasional dip into it is negligible. All but a complete purist will use them sometimes. But with skilful timing of threats and steady build up of danger, a GM can actually lead her players toward a genuine fall from grace without them seeing it coming or being heavy-handed.

One thing I found interesting is this (emphasis is mine): You may also spend Dark Side Force results if you’re a light side Force user, but it requires flipping a Destiny Point from light to dark and taking a strain. It may also create internal conflict for your character and ultimately, pull you towards the dark side.

I think that wording was chosen because the Morality rules have been declared "optional."

I think that wording was chosen because the Morality rules have been declared "optional."

Triggered Morality is optional, but Morality itself is still central to the Force and Destiny game. At least as far as I am aware...?

Triggered Morality is optional, but Morality itself is still central to the Force and Destiny game. At least as far as I am aware...?

It's technically optional since you can choose to have a FaD character use just Obligation, Duty, or both, as long as you have the respective cores. Otherwise, Morality is mandatory for all characters.

I didn't have the beta, can a light-sider ever use force lightning? Plo-Koon once did.

Some light side powers can only be used if you're not a dark sider, but all dark side powers can be used by light siders.

Since there was a previous article discussing the use of Morality and Conflict in the game, I'd say those parts are "optional" by default.

As for the part that ShiKage emphasized, the "may" part in the segment about converting dark side pips to Force points, that's probably situational based upon what power is being used and what you're doing with that power.

If you converted two dark side pips to use Move to lift your ally up a cliffside and out of danger, you'd only get the two Conflict for making use of those dark side pips, and nothing else.  Or if using the Sense power and you convert a dark side pip to be able to sense all the living things around you, again it'd just be the Conflict from converting that dark side pip.  Neither of those effects is deliberately harmful, so no extra Conflict should be awarded.

Now, if you converted two dark side pips to use Move to lift a helpless foe over the side of a cliff and let them drop, that's a whole slew of Conflict on top of what you'd get for converting those dark side pips since you've just used the Force to commit out and out murder.  Even just using Move to lift someone up into the air before dropping them from Medium range would generate additional Conflict, since it's an unnecessary degree of violence on top of the fact that the fall's going to leave the victim seriously injured and quite possibly dead if they're a minion or rival.  The Misdirect power could generate additional conflict if the affected person is made to now see they're about to stroll into a highly dangerous situation completely unaware.

Thing to remember is that players are by their nature a rather devious and creative group, so there's no way any RPG writer, no matter how talented or inventive, is going to be able to cover all the possible situations and scenarios that could show up in a session.  Could also depend on the group's agreed-upon style of play.  Some GMs might be happy with a party full of semi-psychic murder hobos and not fret the additional Conflict from excessively destructive uses of the Force, while other GMs (such as myself) would prefer a more heroic breed of character and would be assigning additional Conflict for such actions.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

If you converted two dark side pips to use Move to lift your ally up a cliffside and out of danger, you'd only get the two Conflict for making use of those dark side pips, and nothing else.  Or if using the Sense power and you convert a dark side pip to be able to sense all the living things around you, again it'd just be the Conflict from converting that dark side pip.  Neither of those effects is deliberately harmful, so no extra Conflict should be awarded.

I think to make things work for players, we need a decent handle on what using Dark Side pips means. Otherwise there will be endless debates and possible resentment. After all, saving someone from falling from a cliff should be a good thing, no?

But I don't think the Force cares about Good Guys and Bad Guys. It's more of a spiritual and mental state of being whether you are light side or dark side. So perhaps something like this...

"You try to keep your mental focus to lift your ally up from the rockslide as the boulders crash towards them. But each time you try, the crashing and the knowledge of what will happen if you fail shatters your clarity. Fear grips you as you see her scrabbling on the slope desperately trying to climb out of the way. Not compassion for her, but fear of losing her, of the grief... and the anger that she should be taken away from you. With a surge of fury you raise your hand into the air, lifting her upwards to float over the lethal terrain, until she is pulled to you and you grab her out of the air and grip her tightly. Nothing will hurt Padmé her. Nothing will take her from you."

Edited by knasserII

The thing I found most intriguing about the article was the change in the wording when it comes to using the Dark Side to fuel your force power:

You may also spend Dark Side Force results if you're a light side Force user, but it requires flipping a Destiny Point from light to dark and taking a strain.

I wonder if they changed the core rule from "He then suffers strain equal to the number of Dark Side Force results, and suffers one Conflict per Dark Side Force result"?

The key change is going from "equal" to "a". The article only mentions strain, not Conflict, however it would be an interesting change if Conflict was so affected also. It would really reduce the penalty for dipping into the Dark Side, and make it ever more seductive. Only to wammy you at the end of the session/adventure.

Or, it may be a typo and they just didn't catch the "a" before strain and it was supposed to read "and take strain."

Edited by JediHamlet

It's an article, not a rulebook, so there are going to be some imprecise words and phrases there. I didn't read that much into it.

Pretty much this.

It's a preview article, meant to make people interested in buying the CRB, not spell out the mechanics of the game in exacting detail.