Sign in to follow this  
jediMasterLenny

Just finished the Beginner's Box with an epic group of gamers.

Ages: 7, 7, 8, 9, 29, 29

My wife runs a daycare and I got off work early today because my Beginner's Box came and I wanted to playtest. The 8-year-old said after we were done: "This is the most amazing thing I've ever done." It was their first experience ever with a tabletop dice-based RPG. I was stressed because all the friends who would play these games with me live some distance away. I had nothing to worry about, found my gaming group!

My wife runs a daycare and I got off work early today because my Beginner's Box came and I wanted to playtest. The 8-year-old said after we were done: "This is the most amazing thing I've ever done." It was their first experience ever with a tabletop dice-based RPG. I was stressed because all the friends who would play these games with me live some distance away. I had nothing to worry about, found my gaming group!

That's Great, My Daughter is almost 7 and I thought she would be too young, I'll grab her and some of her friends during the coming School holidays and see how we go.

did you use the premades from the box and the website?  I was tempted to build up a handful of characters so we could continue with them after I ran this with the kids, but I wasn't sure how the premades would be with younger kids.

Just got it in the mail yesterday. I'll be playing it with my 8 and 6 year old sons over XMas break! Can't wait! They are veteran gamers in a sense, they played a a very light version of D&D 5e with me in the past. I think they'll really dig the narrative aspect of this game.

did you use the premades from the box and the website?  I was tempted to build up a handful of characters so we could continue with them after I ran this with the kids, but I wasn't sure how the premades would be with younger kids.

I did use the premade characters - but the character generator elsewhere on this site is so freaking awesome that it would be fun to use that, too.

That's Great, My Daughter is almost 7 and I thought she would be too young, I'll grab her and some of her friends during the coming School holidays and see how we go.

They are all actually about the perfect age. I would recommend using a cheat sheet (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/star-wars-force-and-destiny-cheat-sheet.pdf) to help minimize downtime.

I always have such a great time when I see children encounter Roleplaying for the first time. They usually have so much fun. It is kind of like a time machine (played my first game around age 8 or 9) for me and reminds me why I have spent decades and way too much money doing this. Hope you have plenty more sessions for these epic gamers planed.

They are all actually about the perfect age. I would recommend using a cheat sheet (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/star-wars-force-and-destiny-cheat-sheet.pdf) to help minimize downtime.

Thanks for that link, that's a great resource :)

The 8-year-old said after we were done: "This is the most amazing thing I've ever done."

I wish my friend's little girl was the same way! All she cares about, as far as Star Wars goes, is Battlefront. :-/ She's of a similar age (9), and I'm offering RP as an alternative to her being on the computer all the time.

Hopefully my future children will appreciate RPGs for the sheer brilliance that they are. Hopefully...

I did use the premade characters - but the character generator elsewhere on this site is so freaking awesome that it would be fun to use that, too.

Where is said character generator? Link please? Also they have pdf downloads of pregens? Where?

Edited by AgentJ

Where is said character generator? Link please? Also they have pdf downloads of pregens? Where?

Generator: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/89135-another-character-generator/

2 Extra PreGens for F&D Beginner Set (under Support tab): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-force-and-destiny-beginner-game/