Sign in to follow this  
sorednax

Looking for a good galactic map/hyperspace database

We're on Sullust. we punch in the coordinates for Endor. What is the average time (xDays/xHours) does it take assuming you're travelling hyperspace (apprx, as different ships travel at variations past light speed, but the ":average.")

surely by now, there has to be some website/blog/wookipedia thing out there that gives at least ball park num bers for how long it takes going from system to system.

anyone come across such a thing? Has FFG come up with a definitive galactic map?

Answer A)It takes however long the GM says it takes because travel time is about plot not distance.

Answer b) 19 hours using an x1 hyperdrive. WEG SWRPG R&E pg117 omgiamsuchafrellingnerd

I frelling love Farscape. Other science fiction shows seem like utter dren in comparison.

I still count down when I'm made at work, "one mippippipi, two mippippipi."

Answer A)It takes however long the GM says it takes because travel time is about plot not distance.

Answer b) 19 hours using an x1 hyperdrive. WEG SWRPG R&E pg117 omgiamsuchafrellingnerd

I frelling love Farscape. Other science fiction shows seem like utter dren in comparison.

I still count down when I'm made at work, "one mippippipi, two mippippipi."

It was pretty awesome if you could survive Season 1, and were occasionally willing to suspend disbelief on some of the more budget oriented creature effects. Still I'd rather have a sketchy muppet than a poorly lit/composited CG creature 90% of the time.

I personally prefer this map, but it is a little overwhelming for those not familiar with the galaxy haha.

Just use the EoTE:CR's section on hyperspace for times.

The route from Endor to Sullust is technically within the same region, but the hyperspace route goes through another so we'll say 3 to 5 days. If your campaign is around the time of the second death star being constructed then go with 3 and maybe even boost dice to the astrogation check because of the Sanctuary Pipeline hyperspace route that was established. Class 2 tends to be the most common so I'll go with that.

With all the above you're looking at 6 days from Endor to Sullust.

Otherwise just speed of plot. Keep in mind though that arbitrarily changing the times too much will break immersion for many players. Finding a shortcut or having a strange hyperspace mishap are ways of having fun and interesting events to explain why the party was able to make it somewhere at just the right time the first time or two. Constantly teleporting around the galaxy however, at least for me, just turns into "click here to proceed to mission." So it's best to either stick to the RAW guidelines, make hyperspace travel much quicker all around, or make hyperspace travel much slower all around.

Maybe this is what you want?

http://www.swcombine.com/navcomp/

That's interesting, though I see some inconsistencies with prior material.

Looks like that was just tossed together using 2D as-the-mynok-flies distance to time.

Not an issue if you just want some rough numbers to work with, but I wouldn't give that to my players and say it's usable.

Also

I personally prefer this map, but it is a little overwhelming for those not familiar with the galaxy haha.

that's a nice map.

I do find it kinda interesting though how a lot of these galaxy maps include at least a system or two that isn't supposed to be on any star charts...

that's a nice map.

I do find it kinda interesting though how a lot of these galaxy maps include at least a system or two that isn't supposed to be on any star charts...

Well if they weren't on these maps, it would be that much harder for the GM to create little plots and encounters if his/her players decide to take a trip near those systems.  A simple hyperdrive failure or a navigational miscalculation could force the players to visit..

Blocked at work so I can't tell if that SWCombine Navcomp is the same one... but if you go to d6 Holocron, their navcomp is fairly decent and author/creator has ginned up some original maps.

that's a nice map.

Well if they weren't on these maps, it would be that much harder for the GM to create little plots and encounters if his/her players decide to take a trip near those systems.  A simple hyperdrive failure or a navigational miscalculation could force the players to visit..

Under normal conditions yes, but I see one specifically that's really.... out there, and it's given high billing compared to others within a couple pixels distance that play a more functional role and would actually be on a star chart or two....

Nevermind. Did some review and it appears I hate the EU even more now then I did 5 minutes ago....

Edited by Ghostofman

that's a nice map.

Under normal conditions yes, but I see one specifically that's really.... out there, and it's given high billing compared to others within a couple pixels distance that play a more functional role and would actually be on a star chart or two....

Nevermind. Did some review and it appears I hate the EU even more now then I did 5 minutes ago....

Now you have my curiosity piqued...  Which one were you refering to?

I originally didn't like the older travel times until I read some more into hyperlanes. The older times make sense when you're talking about direct flights between systems that are not on a well-traveled, documented route like the Hydian and such. It does stretch things out but it makes a certain sort of sense. There's a good discussion of hyperlanes and speed in the Essential Atlas.

They are a bit of a pain. On the one hand I don't like the idea of spend a week in hyperspace just to get from point A to point B, on the other hand I've had situations where the distance between two points had to be on the cusp of the PC's ships consumables so when they went to a specific region they couldn't leave without making at least a few friends and resupplying.

They are a bit of a pain. On the one hand I don't like the idea of spend a week in hyperspace just to get from point A to point B, on the other hand I've had situations where the distance between two points had to be on the cusp of the PC's ships consumables so when they went to a specific region they couldn't leave without making at least a few friends and resupplying.

I think that the Consumables ratings of starships (many of which carry over from earlier game lines) are intended for longer travel times (several days to a few weeks in hyperspace). This way having several months of Consumables on a light freighter (basically a moving truck/motor coach hybrid) makes more sense.

Here the link to the Spanish Edge Distributor. The map from the book. I believe that you have to Register.

http://www.edgeent.com/juegos/coleccion/star_wars_al_filo_del_imperio look for Mapa Galáctico on Contenido Descargable.

http://www.edgeent.com/sisimg/downloadable/galaxy_map.jpg

galaxy_map.jpg

Edited by Josep Maria