Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

Where to next? 2015 edition

So, Gen Con is upon us and most likely they will announce the next deluxe expansion and the location we'll go to next year, so I made this thread a couple weeks in advance to start some discussion. Where do you think it will take place? My bet is the south-east, Harad or Rhûn, but another good option might be northern Rhovanion, Dale and the Withered Heath with its drakes and dragons. Either is fine by me. What do you think? 

Indeed, that'd be cool. I thought a good south themed deluxe expansion could begin in Umbar and then venture further east. I find Umbar is not enough for a complete deluxe or cycle, but a quest set in Umbar with pirates and whatnot would be awesome.

Edited by Gizlivadi

I know we had some of that in The Hobbit Saga Expansions, but I'd like a Cycle centered on Northern Mirkwood and Rhovanion.

It would be a great time to developp Beornings, Dale and Woodman people, as well as finally getting a Thranduil hero.

I wish they could make one quest during which the player(s) would actually go inside a castle or palace, etc., with all inetrior locations. It could be a nice change, with some locations like a diner hall or a bed room  that allow you to heal some dammage or get or exchange some equipements (like allowing you to take back from your discard pile a restricted item).

That would be neat. I have often thought it'd be interesting to see a reskinning of this game system with an exploratory RPG theme. Treacheries could be dungeon traps, alarms, or other events, and a greater emphasis on stealth or at least threat reduction would be important. It would definitely need some way to feel like you're making progress beetween adventures, like the saga mechanics. The encounter deck and the way it is revealed may need modification though.

Anyway, I'm threatening to get this thread off topic. Sorry. :P

It would be interesting to see an expansion deal with Mordor more directly. After all, it took many years to build Barad-dur, breed armies of orcs, etc. Some quests could involve recon missions to check on various signs of activity, steal certain resources to slow the enemy, rescue prisoners, etc.

But yeah, a Harad theme seems most likely, and I would welcome that eagerly.

I wish they could make one quest during which the player(s) would actually go inside a castle or palace, etc., with all inetrior locations. It could be a nice change, with some locations like a diner hall or a bed room  that allow you to heal some dammage or get or exchange some equipements (like allowing you to take back from your discard pile a restricted item).

This is a great great idea! Loads of scope with it. Kitchens, halls, armoury, dungeon, torture chamber, halls, secret passages, bedrooms, stables, council chambers.... so much scope!!! Please drag take this idea on.

Kitchen:
After this location is explored, each player may search his deck for one Edible attachment and attach it to an eligible character in play.  

Now, if only our food Item attachments (Miruvor, Cram, Lembas...) had a unifying trait like Edible... 

I wish they could make one quest during which the player(s) would actually go inside a castle or palace, etc., with all inetrior locations.

This sounds great. Escape from Dol Guldur had some semi-interior locations (Guard Tower and Endless Caverns) and objectives (key, map, torch) and I'd love to play a quest that fully explored this idea.

I've only played as far as Conflict at the Carrock, and I'm surprised to hear that there hasn't been an indoor quest since Dol Guldur.

Haha! I'm glad to see that the idea is well received!   :D   I was also thinking about having some locations, like stairwells and corridors that could link together more than one active locations.

This could actually lead to a new mechanic to explore locations, I don,t know what, but I'M sure that there could be a cool little game mechanic that would allow players to connect or discover new locations.

To bring the thread back on track (thanks Ian!), indeed it seems that the two major regions left to explore are northern Rhovanion and the south-east of Middle-Earth, and well, Mordor of course. I wonder if the designers are going with one of these or if they're planning a surprise for us.

Forochel!

OK, seriously I think Rhovanion or somewhere in the south are the most likely possibilities, but Forochel would be cool.

I wish they could make one quest during which the player(s) would actually go inside a castle or palace, etc., with all interior locations.

This sounds great. Escape from Dol Guldur had some semi-interior locations (Guard Tower and Endless Caverns) and objectives (key, map, torch) and I'd love to play a quest that fully explored this idea.

I've only played as far as Conflict at the Carrock, and I'm surprised to hear that there hasn't been an indoor quest since Dol Guldur.

If you count Moria as indoors, there have been seven. Otherwise, the current cycle is giving us Escape from Mount Gram, and as I recall from the preview article Treachery of Rhudaur is also taking us exploring some mysterious tower or something.

Forochel!

OK, seriously I think Rhovanion or somewhere in the south are the most likely possibilities, but Forochel would be cool.

I wish they could make one quest during which the player(s) would actually go inside a castle or palace, etc., with all interior locations.

If you count Moria as indoors, there have been seven. Otherwise, the current cycle is giving us Escape from Mount Gram, and as I recall from the preview article Treachery of Rhudaur is also taking us exploring some mysterious tower or something.

Also the newly announced Dread Realm takes place inside Carn Dum, with catacombs, dungeons, hallways and staircases.

Forochel!

Also the newly announced Dread Realm takes place inside Carn Dum, with catacombs, dungeons, hallways and staircases.

Carn Dum is a whole city, I don't think that really counts as indoors.

Forochel!

Carn Dum is a whole city, I don't think that really counts as indoors.
As far as I could tell, Dread Realm just takes place in the catacombs.

I think that "battle of carn dum" with be outside and maybe inside for the last quest stage but dread realm does legitimately sound like it is indoors for the whole quest:

"For months, several of Middle-earth's greatest heroes have traveled with the Rangers of the North and fought alongside them in the hopes that they might safeguard the realm against a new and massing threat. Now, their adventures have led them to the fortress of Carn Dûm, the very source of the North kingdom's greatest evils. There, accompanied by a small army of Elves and the few remaining Dúnedain, they have fought through the outer guard and their captain, earning passage into the darkened hallways that lie ahead of them, but those hallways are eerily quiet, cold, and lonely in comparison to the battle raging outside…"

plus the quest stage we were shown is catacombs.

Edited by PsychoRocka

also it seems like this is the first sort of two part quest I think we have ever gotten. I know technically all quests chain together and are played in order but with this situation the first half (AP 5) is the actual battle of carn dum and then the second half (AP 6) is entering carn dum and shutting down the rituals. It is kind of like the one quest broken down into two parts.

I want Beornings. The whole army of them just as we are getting Ents, and Eagles -- which could also gain numbers if the quests take place in Rhovanion. The problem is indeed that we have been there before -- big time. Still we could start around Carrock with Grimbeorn giving us a mission. Then move South and hunt Orcs on the borders of Lórien. Then a mission near Dol Guldur. South Mirkwood. Brown Lands. Then to a place where Rohirrim used to live. Fight Easterlings heading North to assail Dale. Something like that… I do want Beornings.

also it seems like this is the first sort of two part quest I think we have ever gotten. I know technically all quests chain together and are played in order but with this situation the first half (AP 5) is the actual battle of carn dum and then the second half (AP 6) is entering carn dum and shutting down the rituals. It is kind of like the one quest broken down into two parts.

I think we may see this done more often. They seem to try very hard to make the narrative feel as strong as possible. Obviously, they want people to buy the whole cycle instead of just a few episodes.