Sign in to follow this  
Orjo Creld

Book fell apart

After about six months the hard cover separated off the spine of my EotE CRB. The pages themselves remain bound but FFG should know that binding system is a failure. And please the table of contents and the Index should be the first and last pages of the book, respectively, We shouldn't have to dig for them. That is all.

Edited by Orjo Creld

First, let me clarify my position before stating it. I am not trying to downplay your book did fall apart or say you treat your items poorly.

I have had my Edge CRB for over a year and it is fine. How do you store yours? Storage of books can lead to severely decreased or massively increased lifespans.

I wouldn't guarantee it is a dud, but it is likely customer service will still help. If you store books certain ways you can put stress on where they connect to the binding.

The goal of finding out how they stored their book it is to prevent it happening again next time.

Until I saw this post I never really thought about this. I store mine on the shelf vertically, does this put stress on the binding?,,, so will storing them horizontally prevent stress occuring at the top of the spine??

Vertically on a shelf is perfect.  It is the way hardbound books are intended to be stored.  I store all my books that way, since forever.  I have RPG books from the late 70's that are perfectly intact.

As for FFG's books, I have many of them.  My Core book was purchased as soon as it became available to my FLGS from distribution and it has not problems at all.   Every print run will have a percentage that is defective.  While obvious defects can be culled early, some take a little time to reveal themselves.  For the few times this has happened to me I have never had a problem getting a replacement after contacting customer service. 

I went OCD and Goggled it.. Horizontally allows more books in the space available, apparently, but you can only easily access the book on top. Like. Dur!!! :rolleyes:

Vertically is also OK,,, just make sure they are propped up properly, the slant/lean you get as books are removed is what causes stress to the binding, kinda thought too,, So, now we know   ;) 

I went OCD and Goggled it.. Horizontally allows more books in the space available, apparently, but you can only easily access the book on top. Like. Dur!!! :rolleyes:

Vertically is also OK,,, just make sure they are propped up properly, the slant/lean you get as books are removed is what causes stress to the binding, kinda thought too,, So, now we know   ;)

And knowing is half the battle! G. I. JOE!!!

Plus I live on a sailboat In South Florida. My other FFG books are fine

How are we not asking more about this?

Can you still take the ship to sea? Do you get company that gets seasick?

Yeah, I don't know the full details, but that's a thing down there. Allows you to skip out on some taxes and stuff provided you can get reasonable servicing of the boat. There's some places where the boat service is actually "free" as a way of discouraging cheapskates from just dumping it all over the side.

Plus I live on a sailboat In South Florida. My other FFG books are fine

How are we not asking more about this?

Can you still take the ship to sea? Do you get company that gets seasick?

Ah, think of it. After sessions, you and your group could get all liquored up and sing 'Show Me the Way to Go Home'...  :P

Roleplaying on a sailboat must be nice, except during rough weather...

Bruce: "I rolled and 18."

GM: "Looks like a 2 to me."

Bruce "What? Wait now it's a 10!"

GM: "Aaand now it's off the table."

Mike:" The boat is really rocking, guys!"

Bruce: "Oh yeah we rockin' baby!"

GM: "Rocking as in waves, idiot!"

Mike: "I can't even role my dice straight!"

Bruce: "you never could!"

Gm: "Shut up Bruce! I'm getting seasick!"

My EotE core book is starting to come apart to. So is my AoR core book. Mostly at center of the spine. Part of the problem is that there is no pdf available, so i reference the books often when at the computer. That, and only one other player in our 5 player game has a book, so I imagine all that opening and closing is what caused the book to fall apart so quickly.  

To close. The problem is the cover spine is basically a flat slat of Cardboard or wood, which does not flex with the binding in a book that spends a lot of time lying open and flat. The binding thus makes a natural U shape, which separates it from the inflexible cover, especially in the damp storm-tossed environment in which I live. Fair winds and following seas. you all. maybe I'll contact customer service just to see.

Edited by Orjo Creld