Sign in to follow this  
barriecritzer

idea for a squadron based title card

Make a 3-4 point squadron title that all ships in the squadron get the ability of. The squadron name would have to be in the title of the card so red squadron x wings could get the title but say wedge and luke could not. It would be a way to give a small boost to non-named pilots and give people incentive to play a slightly themed list.

Love this idea. Have actually mentioned something similar with my group.

Also thought about possibly tossing in a "Leader" card if you wanted to mix in something from outside the squad like luke or wedge. Probably just put a range requirement around the leader for the squad to get the boost.

I honestly believe unique pilot specific cards would fix so many dead ships.

Rouge leader

Red five

Red three

Just off the top of my head.

You mean things like this?

Rogue Leader

X-Wing Only, 1 point

Must have PS 6 or higher to equip

When defending against a ship with lower PS than you, you may change one blank result to an evade result.

Fluff - Wedge laughs at academy pilots, Luke's Jedi abilities should make him almost unhittable.

Red Five

X-Wing Only, 1 point

Must have PS 4 or higher to equip

When declaring an attack with a torpedo secondary weapon, you may treat the Attack (Target Lock): header as Attack.

Then you may acquire a Target Lock on the Defender.

Fluff - Using the Force means Luke just doesn't miss.  He takes a focus, picks a target, gains a lock, then has TL and F for the roll.

Red 3

X-Wing Only, 1 point

Once per round after defending against an attack, assign one focus token to another friendly ship at range 1.

*OR (can't decide between these two)*

Once per round after defending against an attack, remove one stress token from another friendly ship at range 1.

Fluff - When you know Biggs is keeping those Ties off your back its easier to keep your attention on your target.

Make a 3-4 point squadron title that all ships in the squadron get the ability of. The squadron name would have to be in the title of the card so red squadron x wings could get the title but say wedge and luke could not. It would be a way to give a small boost to non-named pilots and give people incentive to play a slightly themed list.

I would like something like this if it were combined with a Leader title also.  Have one unique "Red Leader" limited to 5 PS or higher, with some supportive ability, handing out a token or taking off a stress, sharing TL etc.  Then combine it with unlimited "Red Squadron" mates on Red's only where they get a reduced EPT or MOD, or maybe a reroll when in range of leader.  Something like that.  They could do this for many of the generics that seem to need help like Blackmoon, Onyx or Black Sun Vigo.

It would promote flying one type of ship in formation as a mini swarm.  Some people like this some don't, but its is very "fluffy."  Could be VERY fun in epic or escalation play.

Interesting idea.

Not sure if I really like the idea of limiting your self to one type of ship/pilot though, Having a Red Squadron title and then only the red squad pilots being able to take advantage of it would be rather dull.

You'd play it a few times and never go back to it

An idea I saw to try and help out generic pilots was to have alien race titles giving passive or active abilities

Making that rookie pilot in your squad a MonCal could give it some defensive ability.

Or make it a Wookie that could have some bonus to attack

I think there's an obvious problem with this immediately.

The larger the battle you play, and the more of that ship type you field, the more powerful this card becomes, with no accompanying increase in cost for the card.

Sure, 3-4 points in a 100 point game that powers up 4 X-Wings probably isn't so bad.

But then you go into a 300 point epic game and use that same single card on a dozen X-Wings, and it suddenly becomes drastically more powerful for it's point cost.

I think there's an obvious problem with this immediately.

The larger the battle you play, and the more of that ship type you field, the more powerful this card becomes, with no accompanying increase in cost for the card.

Sure, 3-4 points in a 100 point game that powers up 4 X-Wings probably isn't so bad.

But then you go into a 300 point epic game and use that same single card on a dozen X-Wings, and it suddenly becomes drastically more powerful for it's point cost.

Agreed.  I like the OP's suggestion for something that makes for more themed lists, but something like this would be possible:

"Red Squadron"

Squad Title, 4 points

All ships with the "Red Squadron" pilot may assign one evade token to their ship after performing a Target Lock action.

In epic play, this would make 12 X-Wings come in at 280 points leaving room for another ship or some torps or astros

But if you just made it a limited title like this:

"Red Squadron"

Title, 2 points

Red Squadron Pilots only

After performing a Target Lock action, you may assign one evade token to your ship.

Those same 12 X-Wings are an even 300 so no room for other upgrades.

I honestly believe unique pilot specific cards would fix so many dead ships.

Rouge leader

Red five

Red three

Just off the top of my head.

You mean things like this?

Rogue Leader

X-Wing Only, 1 point

Must have PS 6 or higher to equip

When defending against a ship with lower PS than you, you may change one blank result to an evade result.

Fluff - Wedge laughs at academy pilots, Luke's Jedi abilities should make him almost unhittable.

Red Five

X-Wing Only, 1 point

Must have PS 4 or higher to equip

When declaring an attack with a torpedo secondary weapon, you may treat the Attack (Target Lock): header as Attack.

Then you may acquire a Target Lock on the Defender.

Fluff - Using the Force means Luke just doesn't miss.  He takes a focus, picks a target, gains a lock, then has TL and F for the roll.

Red 3

X-Wing Only, 1 point

Once per round after defending against an attack, assign one focus token to another friendly ship at range 1.

*OR (can't decide between these two)*

Once per round after defending against an attack, remove one stress token from another friendly ship at range 1.

Fluff - When you know Biggs is keeping those Ties off your back its easier to keep your attention on your target.

I think this is an untapped part of the game that would fix the name sake. Also you could do a second core set X-wing vs TIE fighter and add things the game needs, like a new damage deck.

You could add title cards that add actions to the action bar to fix xwings. I do this in my story league I run at barristers. Some of the X-wings are nasty when they get just a little buff.