Sign in to follow this  
ddbrown30

How to flesh out Sa Nalaor exploration

Does anyone have any ideas or experience in fleshing out the exploration of the Sa Nalaor? The locations they give barely scratch the surface and are basically the very first places they will come across. If IT-3PO is going to successfully convince the PCs (and the players) to stick around, there needs to be more content there to experience.

So far, my only thoughts are the obvious addition of sleeping quarters and Cratala's workshop. I could also see finding some of the hanger bays and maybe battle droid storage.

I'm hoping to get some help with additional location ideas and perhaps so ideas for what could happen there. I really want to avoid a pile of game time where I'm just describing locations on the ship without anything interesting happening.

Making it to the bridge can take a while, I'm AFB, but if I remember right there is a pit to navigate across (which leads into the bowels of the ship), an armoury to search, and the bridge itself which has quite a few things, not to mention a Nexu or two.  All this could take as long as you need.

My players wanted to explore the rest and look for the treasure in the main hold, so I had to oblige.  Unfortunately I had no maps and had to come up with it on the spur of the moment.  The pit became the descent into the bowels, and I played up the bad lighting (occasional flickering of lights from the feeble power after 20 years), the moss and mould and slippery conditions (Athletics and Coordination checks), signs of the water table rising and falling as the nearby river flooded and receded.  I added a couple of wary hit-and-run cyber Nexu and those rat swarms to keep them on their toes.  When they finally made it to the cargo hold I decided it was a formidable Mechanics check to open the doors...hilariously all the negative dice came up blank and they got a couple of triumphs.  So they managed to get the doors open and pry open an ingot-filled crate...the rest were submerged under the water and couldn't be reached.

IOW, it was less about specific locations, and more about the dangers of the journey down.  This took sufficient time I could basically introduce whatever was necessary once the PCs re-emerged.

I should mention that the droid wasn't part of my modified plot.  I wasn't really a fan of that particular element.

Edited by whafrog

The vault is there.. but it is a bit of a red herring.  I had my players cutting through the hull well into the night. and had them discovered by a team of survivors who were looking for the droid.  they had the means to get to the vault given time.  But time is something they do not have when Yiyar shows back up, and then the Imperials. there is no way they should be able to get off the planet without either Yiyar or the Imps knowing where the wreck (and the vault) is.

"IT3P0? it is you! Have these people been treating you well?"

*IT3p0 Breaks 4th wall, then looks back at the survivors*

"no"

There are a few things they need to do: Go to the bridge to find the planted evidence that made it look like the ship went down with all hands.  Get discovered and fight off the enhanced nexu, which makes the droid trigger it's homing beacon.  Realize that the ship had been stripped by pretty much anything that could be easily removed with handtools, and hopefully realize that there ARE survivors of the wreck somewhere.  if they don't look for the survivors, the survivors.. or the nexu.. will find them

Thanks for the replies. As usual, my players ended up driving most of this anyway. They decided they wanted to get power to some of the systems, so it gave them a target, which meant I didn't have to flesh things out nearly as much as I'd imagined.