Sign in to follow this  
Drathen

Spark of Rebellion Full Release!

Yeah we are actually discussing the equipment chapter already and the Westar is already getting hit with a nerf among other things. The Westar was mentioned a few times already a few days ago and that's the first thing getting addressed

Edited by Drathen

A new version is now available at http://rebels.d20radio.com/

Thanks for the responses all, as these revisions are based directly on the feedback we've received. :)

Release notes:

- The Inquisitor has remembered that he knows how to use a Lightsaber. Lightsaber 2 skill added to his stats.

- The missing T7 Ion Disruptor text has been added.

- The T7 Ion Disruptor weapon qualities have been corrected in the weapons table.

- The WESTAR-35 Pistol has had its damage reduced by 1, its encumbrance increased by 1, and its price reduced slightly.

- The X-8 Night Sniper Pistol has had its Hard Points reduced by 1 and its price reduced slightly.

The T7 Ion Disruptor reads as having the "Ion setting". Is that supposed to be? I didn't know there was an Ion setting.

Edit: the correction from a few posts before just had "Ion".

It's a tough one. Ion weapons don't affect organics, yet this weapon was used against the Lasat. One way to think of it is that the Ion Setting is the default, anti vehicle mode, but it can be switched off, kind of like 'disabling the safeties'. This wasn't intended by the designers, hence why it was banned once this mode of use was discovered. So it's a dual-mode weapon, like a stun setting on a blaster.

And if people are interested in hearing a little bit about some behind the scenes stuff from the making of this book, I was lucky enough to be able to talk about it on the latest Order 66 episode. :)

And if people are interested in hearing a little bit about some behind the scenes stuff from the making of this book, I was lucky enough to be able to talk about it on the latest Order 66 episode. :)

"shameless plug cough shameless plug"   it was actually really cool! First podcast I have ever checked out to be honest lol

I wonder if there was a benefit restating what someone already said

I wonder why people never think of the fact that sometimes people reply to an original post before seeing that someone else replied also.  Funny thing how bulletin boards work.

This is an awesome resource, thank you to the entire team for all the hard work.

I've already started using it to model my own inquisitor.

I noticed that the inquisitor has force power move basic and can move silhouette 0. IMO, I think he should have one force power move strength upgrade, because he can move Kanan which would require silhouette 1.

Thoughts?

First off, great job on this, and I say that as both a player and a designer. It looks wonderful, it plays perfectly, I love everything about this unofficial sourcebook. I love it so much that I put this in my 'news' section in my games and declaring to my players "This stuff is purchasable, and usable." I would love to see this done in future projects and if possible maybe be a part of future projects.

My only gripe (and it is a very minor one) is that you didn't stat the Ghost herself, you have the VCX-100 and the Corellian Cargo Shuttle, but not the Ghost and the Phantom. I think its important that a write up about it and its stats is included in the crew section since The Ghost and The Phantom are of course modified from their stock loadout (such as the Phantom having a weapon which in turn acts as a weapon for The Ghost).

Edited by Ebak

It is unfortunate in the re-release that the main issues were still skipped, but the authors were quite adamant they didn't care to be accurate.

Maybe if they released a word version, I could fix the issues myself. Any possibility of that?

I am sorry you were unhappy with the updated material. Some of the key issues were addressed and we are still looking into a few more. At this time the only material provided will be the pdf to the public.

Edited by Drathen

It is unfortunate in the re-release that the main issues were still skipped, but the authors were quite adamant they didn't care to be accurate.

Maybe if they released a word version, I could fix the issues myself. Any possibility of that?

With all due respect mate, I think you need to get off your high horse about the matter. What exactly were the issues that were 'skipped'? Surely as the authors it is their prerogative of what they put in the supplement, they seemed to have been fairly accurate so far in the game without bogging it down with more mechanics.

Bravo for wanting to 'fix the issue yourself' however the manner in which you state it is quite frankly rude and very unbecoming as a member of the community. I find it highly ironic that you are here stating your displeasure in your arrogance (as if your some kind of authority on what should have been in the book) and then your blog goes on to talk about how your players shouldn't disagree with your rulings in your home games.

Edited by Ebak

First off, great job on this, and I say that as both a player and a designer. It looks wonderful, it plays perfectly, I love everything about this unofficial sourcebook. I love it so much that I put this in my 'news' section in my games and declaring to my players "This stuff is purchasable, and usable." I would love to see this done in future projects and if possible maybe be a part of future projects.

My only gripe (and it is a very minor one) is that you didn't stat the Ghost herself, you have the VCX-100 and the Corellian Cargo Shuttle, but not the Ghost and the Phantom. I think its important that a write up about it and its stats is included in the crew section since The Ghost and The Phantom are of course modified from their stock loadout (such as the Phantom having a weapon which in turn acts as a weapon for The Ghost).

Thanks for the kind words! If you're interested in helping with future projects, hit me up with a DM and we can discuss further. :)

As far as statting out the Ghost itself versus a "stock" VCX-100, this is something we discussed. It was kind of a judgment call to go with the stock version, since that makes it more accessible to players who might want to use it as their own ship. We all agreed (and the supporting source material supports the idea) that the Ghost is heavily modified. Including both the stock version and the modified Ghost seemed a bit redundant. But it's certainly something we can consider including in a future product. :)

This is an awesome resource, thank you to the entire team for all the hard work.

I've already started using it to model my own inquisitor.

I noticed that the inquisitor has force power move basic and can move silhouette 0. IMO, I think he should have one force power move strength upgrade, because he can move Kanan which would require silhouette 1.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as the Inquisitor goes, it's a decent point. One of the challenges with statting out the characters was deciding what were the kinds of things they were regularly able to do and what things seemed a bit out of the ordinary or uncommon. Let's be honest for a moment - the characters on the show are big time heroes and villains and often do some pretty heroic and dramatic things. Does that mean for every action they perform they should have the equivalent skill and stats to allow it? Maybe. But we didn't quite go that far.

So in an attempt to explain away the Inquisitor throwing Kanan without the Force Move upgrade, I'm going to say maybe he rolled a Triumph in that situation. ;) Of course, you can certainly give your own version of the Inquisitor the upgrade. :)

We can debate the character skills and stats for weeks, and it's certainly interesting. But what I'd love to hear now is what people think of the modular encounters? Anybody have a favorite yet? :)

There are plenty of ways to edit PDFs and the format is more conducive to actual print than Word is as precise positioning of elements is possible in it. Heck, the PDF isn't even secured, so you can always just cut and paste the whole thing verbatim into Word and go from there.

I tried to use a text to voice reader to read the PDF because it isn't images but it does a weird thing where it just reads the letters individually instead of the words. I have no clue why but I have to wait on my tech (Dad!) to fix it. Even if they can't, it was mentioned during the development process that a text version would be available at some point so I'll be patient...

But, tbh, what I'm reading has me pretty excited. I think that if this was just a plain ol' "Nice job, guys!" thread, I wouldn't be nearly as excited. But people tend to complain and wish things were covered differently when the book is a real, official publication rather than a free fan-made book. The comments are much more like that I would expect if this was from FFG.

Maybe my goofball logic is more goofball than logic but, as a certain beloved scoundrel once said, "Hey... it's me!"

Interesting. I wonder if it is getting hung up on the words (i.e. doesn't know how to pronounce them). Is it the whole document that is doing that, or just certain parts?

They shut down all debate, which is rude btw.

You think THAT is rude? I cannot fathom what goes on in your head that makes you act like such a petulent entitled brat, but I suggest you go back over your own posts before you start calling others rude because, to be frank, I have never seen as much rudeness here as I did since you came back to these forums.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

I already stated the issues I had, I didn't have to restate them especially when the players that created this already stated they didn't care, in almost those exact words. They shut down all debate, which is rude btw.

That seems like some pretty selective memory there, given the amount of replies we've issued to constructive commentary in this thread alone.  That's the opposite of "shutting down debate". Your argument seems to be "they didn't do what *I* wanted, so they're ignoring feedback".

Some of the fixes, such as layout, are - as has been said already - being looked into. The initial fixes are quick to do (such as a missing Lightsaber skill of weapon fluff) and so can be corrected quickly. We could have just left it be until everything was done, but thought people may prefer the fixes we could do quickly.

Other things such as Ezra's lightsaber etc have already been answered, and as you're not a fan of people repeating themselves, I won't.

During the development of this document I can't think of many items that someone submitted and just went through without review and/or amendment. Some things were thrashed to death. Not everybody got what they wanted and compromises had to be made. But such is the nature of a collaborative document.  It's called agreeing to disagree.

At the end of the day, use what you want, ignore what you want, and house rule what you want. That's what I do with FFG's own products.

The spacing before stat blocks to ... exist (seriously why no spacing?)

I would give the Inquisitor a Lightsaber with 3 forms (like the toy... it is 3 forms) [i wanted to link to it, but apparently the link is 3 lines long and looks ugly... but look up "inquisitor lightsaber on amazon]

I would give the Inquisitor lightsaber 3 to accurately represent how good he actually was.

I would give Ezra his stungun-lightsaber hilt

I would give Ezra Influence

Well, if these are indeed the main issues with the book than I would say the authors did a splendid job as they are quite minor quibbles (and they are incredibly easy to "fix" for a GM, by the way).

Edited by Franigo

I already stated the issues I had, I didn't have to restate them especially when the players that created this already stated they didn't care, in almost those exact words. They shut down all debate, which is rude btw.

As to my blog, I am not sure what that has to do with "the price of tea in China".

I had people argue and waste time of the game.

Here they asked what people thought, I told them, they said they didn't care. The fact they are treating it like intellectual property is actually funny when it can't be copyrighted as 98% of it is Disney's property, and it steps on EA's license.

If I had a word version I would fix;

The spacing before stat blocks to ... exist (seriously why no spacing?)

I would give the Inquisitor a Lightsaber with 3 forms (like the toy... it is 3 forms) [i wanted to link to it, but apparently the link is 3 lines long and looks ugly... but look up "inquisitor lightsaber on amazon]

I would give the Inquisitor lightsaber 3 to accurately represent how good he actually was.

I would give Ezra his stungun-lightsaber hilt

I would give Ezra Influence

Basically most of the issues are with they picked and chose what episodes they wanted to care about and they left out the ones that made people like the show.

Rebels is a fun show and we sort of get to see what Star Wars would have been like if Obi-Wan lived to fully train Luke. They neglected all of that and made Ezra a next to nothing when he was basically Aladdin.

The spacing is a formatting issue which if it is being fixed will take awhile until it can be released, adding a line can potentially mess up the layout of the whole PDF since stuff then gets pushed to the next page or compacted. Assuming that this is something the group is fixing it will most likely be seen in the future.

We saw the Inquisitors lightsaber go between dual blade, single blade and that's it, with a spin modification for the dual blade. If you are referring to the ability for it to split into two single sabers, that was never featured on the show and can be chalked up to a toy manufacturer wanting to add another gimmick to an already gimmicky weapon. I don't think excluding that was an issue.

The Inquisitor is rolling YYGGG...I think that's good enough for him, remember that he was able to be bested by Kanan. Furthermore also remember that the game is just that, its a game. If we were to actually give the canon characters true stats, they would probably be exceptionally high, the Inquisitor is balanced so that a Jedi of reasonable strength can take him on. People always seem to forget that regarding equipment and character power, the game has to have balance. I think making the dice pool YYYGG would add the chance for too many triumphs into the Inquisitors pool, which leads to critical injuries, which in turn may lead to a TPK.

Ezra not having the Infuence and the Stungun Lightsaber, the soucebook is titled "Spark of Rebellion" named for the pilot episode of the series where we first meet the crew. The crews stat blocks are loaded in a way (in my opinion through looking over them) that reflects them in this pilot episode, by the end of the series I'd imagine some skills may be a little higher for their respective stat blocks. It is the choice of the writers to choose what to and what not to include, yes they include content from later episodes when they talk about Lothal itself and for the modular encounters and vehicles, however that is to make sure the book has the appropriate content to warrant such a release. If you really really REALLY want the stungun lightsaber...then bloody well give it to Ezra yourself.

Plus we've seen Ezra TRY to influence someone, I don't recall a time in the series where it actually worked, I may be mis-remembering though.