Sign in to follow this  
Drathen

Spark of Rebellion Full Release!

Wow. I must get this out of the way first: I think that the work you guys did is spectacular. You would almost believe this to be a FFG product. This book is a work of love and it shows... This is crazy good.

However, and this is of course just a question of taste, this feels like a sourcebook WEG would have released in terms of choice of content. I was frustrated a lot by their choices at the time, because my group and I DON'T want to revisit the locales from the movies all the time and DON'T want to meet heroes from the movies (or shows). If FFG did release this, it would be the first book I wouldn't buy from them.

Again, I am aware that this product is very good and is free, so I'm not complaining. It just reminded me how much I was bored at the time with all the sourcebooks WEG was coming up with (Dark Empire sourcebook, Heir to the Empire sourcebook, Jedi Academy sourcebook, Shadows of the Empire sourcebook etc). I am so relieved that FFG is using another design philosophy and releasing content that is not tied to a specific movie or novel or comic or whatever. The galaxy already feels small enough as it is in the movies (with everyone being related and such); my players don't need to see the same locales and characters from the official material all over and over again.

Of course this is just my opinion that I leave here with all due respect, because this work is amazing even if I don't agree with the choice of content. 

Edited by Broc27

I like some of the choices in the fan-book but I disagree with others. From reading previous posts about this here and on reddit though the authors don't take criticism well so I will keep my dislikes to myself.

It does look like they had fun making it at least, that shows up very clearly.

Thats not accurate at all. I do not mind Criticism, however it needs to be presented properly. Take Broc27 post above...explained what he didnt like in a great way to be honest...and I totally respect his opinion on the book !  If you come at me ( not all the authors) in a way where there is no solid points being made and just hate on something just to do it..then no I wont accept it.  there was even a post about the new listing today on reddit and he stated his opinions and didnt say a word to him...just pointed out at the back of the book that this is a growing project and as well as a work in progress was all.

And you responded to my un-edited post =) try again with the edited one. then get back to me.

Okay.

I am kinda confused about your post...

"I wish they had gone more for the "feel" of the characters from Rebels rather than specifics. "

I can get that...however you post..

"Like if they showed how to build a rebel cell, or went through the jedi trial that Ezra did, or even the lightsaber making process. These were iconic things that my Players wanted to recreate. They didn't want to be Ezra or fight Ezra they wanted a part here and there."

Tells me you want "specifics" on how to do this...

Am I reading this wrong?

edit part:
"Ezra's and Kannan's lightsabers are perfect examples. Ezra's with the stun-pistol hilt, or Kannan's collapsible saber. Those were ironic things people wanted. Also ever since episode 3 of the show people wanted the Inquisitor's Light Saber, but they didn't stat the parts, they only did the whole thing as equipment of an adversary and even then they left out one of the most iconic parts of it."

even all this is asking for specifics to me....." they didnt stat the parts"  asking for specifics  " they only did the whole thing as equipment of an adversary"   the feeling part....letting the gm decide on what can be done
Edited by Drathen

I can give a little insight from "behind the curtain" regarding a couple of those points.  Now bear in mind that you may agree, disagree, or be indifferent, but please understand that in planning something like this out a LOT of the things that get critiqued after the event ("why include this, why didn't you include that" etc) have been discussed at length (often at exhaustive lengths) by the group.  That's not to say that all decisions made were correct, we aren't omniscient. At the end of the day given limited time and input, you have to come to a consensus.

I dare say even FFG look back on some products and wish they'd done things slightly differently.  Doesn't mean they aren't still useful. We knew going in we'd never please 100% of the audience. But one advantage we have over FFG is that this can be an evolving document. We can take on board observations/criticisms & requests and incorporate them (or not) later down the road.

Now on the following I can speak for myself only.

A couple of specifics:

1) Inquisitor's Lightsaber.  This is an adversary's signature weapon. No other adversaries in the books have breakdowns on how their weapons are made or the components involved. Therefore its an equipment line on an adversary stat block.

2) Ezra's Jedi Test at the Temple.  Funny story. I was actually doing a version of the "Jedi Trial", alluding to the Dagobah Cave and Ezra's Trial at the Lothal Temple to be used as a modular encounter. It was including illusions, testing PC weaknesses, overcoming obstacles etc.  I had quite a lot of it drafted out, and I was chuffed because it was really pretty neat.

Then I got to read the F&D beta and the adventure within. Guess what?  Yup, great minds do think alike apparently. By this point I was busy with other things, and my layout was 80% using the same ideas as the beta adventure. Now this will likely pop up again in the future, but it needed a good rethink to make it something both unique and modular.

3) Kanan's 'collapsible' Lightsaber... he just unscrews the top dude  ;)

4) Ezra's Saber/Blaster - The character's are presented as they are at the very beginning of the season, basically immediately after the pilot episode. You can bet that item will show up in either a later addition or the Season 2 supplement.

Hopefully that sheds a little light on the subject  :)

Before this turns into a he/she said/he/she said thread, lets just agree that the people who worked on this "FREE" supplement did a great effort. Was it perfect? You can not please everyone.

• I like the fleshing out of places from the series.
  • I can do without the character stats but that is just me. Like the call for stats for iconic characters I see it as unnecessary.
  • Not too worried about "stats" on Kanan's lightsaber and its ability to be broken down. Personally I'd just refluff Shadowsheath and call it a day.
  • Ezra's is just a basic saber with a holdout pistol that just stuns (so far as we see, could be a regular hodout just always set to stun). We may get mechanics to integrate two weaons like his lightsaber and the bo-rifle but I am really not looking for you guys to to something only to have it nullified later by FFG. I can do the same.
  • I love the scenarios. Awesome work.
  • Love the Lasat race. Meh on the Mandalorian, but that is a personal preference. Don't see the need as I didn't really see the need for Correlian either.
  • Vehicles and ships are great.
  • Don't know if it was just an oversight in the editing process but a write up of the T-7 ion Disruptor is missing under the Energy Weapons section. Otherwise good stuff here on initial look.

Good job guys.

So, first eratta? In the weapons section, the Ion Disruptor is in the stat box, but there is no descriptive profile of it that I can find. Otherwise, I like what I'm seeing. That abilities for Mandalorians in interesting.

Rats - I will see that the producer is flogged with cheese wire!  ;) Yeah that fluff block is out there in the ether somewhere.

Before this turns into a he/she said/he/she said thread, lets just agree that the people who worked on this "FREE" supplement did a great effort. Was it perfect? You can not please everyone.

• I like the fleshing out of places from the series.
  • I can do without the character stats but that is just me. Like the call for stats for iconic characters I see it as unnecessary.
  • Not too worried about "stats" on Kanan's lightsaber and its ability to be broken down. Personally I'd just refluff Shadowsheath and call it a day.
  • Ezra's is just a basic saber with a holdout pistol that just stuns (so far as we see, could be a regular hodout just always set to stun). We may get mechanics to integrate two weaons like his lightsaber and the bo-rifle but I am really not looking for you guys to to something only to have it nullified later by FFG. I can do the same.
  • I love the scenarios. Awesome work.
  • Love the Lasat race. Meh on the Mandalorian, but that is a personal preference. Don't see the need as I didn't really see the need for Correlian either.
  • Vehicles and ships are great.
  • Don't know if it was just an oversight in the editing process but a write up of the T-7 ion Disruptor is missing under the Energy Weapons section. Otherwise good stuff here on initial look.

Good job guys.

Thx Merc!!!

This is the kinda feed back as well as Brocs I like to see. It gives us more to look at for the next installment and things to address for the community! Thx for taking the time to write it up...the both of you!

3) no it isnt just the top it is 3 parts, and it makes it "concealed". Prior to Kannan's weapon there were NO lightsabers that could come apart. Normally if you take apart a lightsaber it is broken (as shown by Luke doing this in Heir to the Jedi).

4) seems odd that you include some stuff from later episodes but beginning of the show for that one character for a reason to justify 1 item missing?

Visual Guide states it breaks into 2 parts for concealment. So possibly 1 setback to Perception to spot it when disassembled. Again though, it's an NPC item.  Bear in mind also Luke has little to no knowledge of Lightsabers. It's possible that any trained Jedi could have disassembled their Lightsabers just like Kanan.

What character items from later in the season are included on other characters? I may be missing something here.

Also, with respect, I am happy to discuss anything I can. I don't feel I have to "justify" anything however.

Edited by MrDodger

So I am surprised that there is no AT-DP

This and the Troop Transport are both statted & fluffed (there has to be a better word)  ;)

I think with layout involved it was completed too late in the day to get into this release. Lessons learnt on planning  :)

I won't have a chance to read over it for a while, but at a glance this is really impressive. I like the stats for the VCX-100. I would consider giving this to my PCs and not be worried.

Thank you, all.

Edited by kaosoe