Sign in to follow this  
player2068881

Question on Bastions

Hi guys,

while reading the rules I had one question about bastions. It's probably a silly question but still...

Bastions can not be routed or retreat. Can they be destroyed? I'm assuming they can, I'm also assuming they'll be taken of the planet in that case and you won't be able to take control of them if you're the winner. Am I correct in my asumption?

It would mean that for all intents and purposes, if you can, it would be more interesting to just go through 3 rounds of combat  (if you can at least) and win by morale instead of destroying the Bastion as you'll then be able to take control of it...

Thanks for the help!

You are correct on all counts. Bastions do not get routed. The bastion can be destroyed, which means that it would be removed from the board. You would only take control of it if you win the combat by morale without destroying the bastion. Most of the time, though, it's better to just destroy it and build a new one, since without destroying the bastion, none of the enemy units will be routed, which means that their morale values will count at the end of the combat.

You would need to build a defensive deck that relies heavily on defence.

You are correct on all counts. Bastions do not get routed. The bastion can be destroyed, which means that it would be removed from the board. You would only take control of it if you win the combat by morale without destroying the bastion. Most of the time, though, it's better to just destroy it and build a new one, since without destroying the bastion, none of the enemy units will be routed, which means that their morale values will count at the end of the combat.

You would need to build a defensive deck that relies heavily on defence.

It looks like you're saying that a bastion prevents friendly units from routing during combat...that isn't the case, is it?

EDIT:  I was just reading over the rules and realized why no friendly units would be routed....so long as there wasn't damage to destroy the bastion, you would just always assign damage to the bastion.  As it never routes, you will always have it as an option to damage, effecitvely ignoring that damage.

Edited by Xraysteve

exactly.

Bastions are really overlooked in "learning" games.. People I have noticed tend to start getting them late in the game.... but seriously.. Bastions are extremely powerful. After a few games I have noticed these come out a lot faster to hold locations and in turn this effects player choices about moral cards. Also another overlooked rule is that building retain ownership of the planet, even if you have no units there and Bastions can fight. Think of them as entrenched units or something. So even if you have no units your opponent still need to do a combat to take the planet and destroy it or win the moral fight and you can not bombard the planet unless you have the upgrade to allow you to hit Bastions.

In short.. they are awesome.. use them and use them a lot.. (well, within reason : )

Bastions are great for preventing early game zerg rushing for objectives. A Bastion and a single unit is enough to force someone who wants the world to take the time to build bigger and deeper. The become less effective in the late game, but never entirely useless.

Edited by Scottgun

Thanks for all of the answers. So far, I've only played one game and I made a number of stupid decissions at deployment and during first turn that allowed my opponent to walk over me without me being able to put up any resistance. I've decided this won't happen again and I'm taking my time to read/re-read and understand the rules better.

I'm most definatly going to be using bastions in my next game. Especially on some of the objective worlds.