Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

So age of Sigmar? (GW aka Great Wasteland has comited heresy)

I gave on WHF years ago, after the last new Brettonian models were released (if that tells you anything). I hung with 40K much longer, but eventually got priced out about 2 editions ago. I hung on to my Imperial Guard (or whatever they call them nowadays) and Black Templars, but couldn't find anyone to play with when I moved in 2010. Finally sold it all off earlier this year.

Now, I think the Age of Sigmar models are pretty cool... they look like a cross between the Empire and the most recent incarnation of 40K Blood Angels.. but are naturally super-expensive. I think they're making a mistake by invalidating so many people's collections and trashing a beloved setting, though.

Been looking through it all. I just don't quite get it. Are they trying to entice new players... by ostracizing the players they... already have? I'm so confused. I also gave up on WFB like 3 editions ago but this certainly won't encourage me to get back in.

I don't get it, either.

I mean - I understand what they're trying to do - protect their IP by introducing (...stupid) new copyrightable names for the races, world and locations, while at the same time simplifying the game (...have they actually succeeded in doing that?) and lowering the entry level for the game, making it more accessible to new players (...have they succeeded in doing that either?  We used to build, paint and play armies in 500 point blocks when I started with Fantasy).

But the rules are an utter clusterfourletterword.  There's no attempt to create any kind of balancing mechanism, which instantly kills any type of manageable competitive play.

And the settling... oh God, the setting.  Even if they needed to make changes to the game model, adopt a scorched earth policy on a world that has been fleshed out over 30+ years?  I have no connection to Sigmarites, Aelfs or Durandurans or whatever they're calling the Dwarves now.  Copyrighting names is one thing, but come on, seriously?

All of this, and the run up to it is why myslef and many others play 'oldhammer'  (google for the  facebook groups)

Ironically its quite easy to find people who are up for playing 3rd to 6th edition.

Plus get old models off ebay.

My jes goodwin sculpted skaven in lead cost less per model than the latest plastics and are nicer models.

I get why they did it, but I think they went a bit overboard. And I don't even think the core rules are the problem, even though those alone will piss off a lot of former players, but the rules for the old armies in the compendiums are just Bat-**** crazy

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums

Someone posted some of the main wacky ones on another forum, and I thought they were having a laugh, but they're actually in there

But now the wider rules are up, GW has got back its sense of humour?

Ok, so they can't write wargames rules for toffee. But check out some of the new AoS rules...

Kairos: once per game change a roll to a result of your choice.

Screaming Bell: Roll 2D6 on a chart of effects. On a 13 you win.

Screaming bell: roll two dice, cannot be modified in any way. If you roll a 13 you get:

Improbable Victory!: Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).

If Greasus Goldtooth uses this ability, select an enemy unit anywhere on the battlefield and choose one of the effects listed below:
- The unit cannot move in its next turn.
- The unit cannot move, attack or cast spells in its next turn.
- All models in the unit immediately flee.
- The unit changes sides and immediately comes under your control.
Then, offer your opponent a bribe (this can be anything you want to offer). If your opponent accepts your bribe, the chosen effect takes place – otherwise, nothing happens. Players are free to haggle over the offered bribe, or propose a counter-offer...

Mortarch of Night: If it is nighttime, or you cannot see the sun, you can add 1 to all hit and wound rolls for Gheistvor.

"Ancient Dignity:
Dragons are ancient and prideful creatures, and the Elves that ride them are no less haughty, but from such nobility and dignity stems an inner strength. If, during your entire hero phase, you can maintain a dignified (even arrogant) composure and not smile, smirk or laugh regardless of your opponent’s antics, you may re-roll all hit rolls of 1 made for models in a Dragon Host until your next hero phase"

The Endless Dance: If you are dancing while rolling the dice for the Masque’s attacks in the combat phase, you can reroll any failed hit rolls. If, at any point, you can coerce your opponent to join in, you can re-roll any failed wound rolls as well.

Lord of Forbidden Pleasure:
It is wise not to gaze long upon the splendour of a Lord of Slaanesh, lest terrible notions begin to form. If an enemy unit finishes its pile in move within 3" of a Lord of Slaanesh, you can tell your opponent that they are in danger of being beguiled. From that point on, if your opponent looks you in the eye before the unit has made its hit rolls for that combat phase, subtract 1 from any of those rolls which target this model.

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg’s skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent

Bloodwrack Stare: When making a Bloodwrack Stare attack, pick a visible unit within range and roll a dice for each model in that unit; for each roll of 6 or more that unit suffers a mortal wound as they foolishly meet the Medusa’s deadly gaze. You can add 1 to these dice rolls if, between the time you declare the target of the attack and time you roll the dice, your opponent looks you directly in the*eye.

"One Bat Short of a Belfry -
Konrad is a violent lunatic, and his temper does little to help his stretched sanity. If, during your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of 1 for him until your next hero phase. If Konrad von Carstein talks back to you, re-roll all failed hit rolls instead."

The Mad Count:
Marius Leitdorf is an
exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

If you'll excuse me, I'm just going to pop off and add Games Workshop's share price to my tracker...

giphy.gif

31st is fast approaching and the preamble was making excuses about currency fluctuations effecting them.

I see it slumping hard.

Well hopefully they don't do that with 40k however I doubt it.

It is almost a guarantee that they won't.  It just doesn't make sense from a business model.  I mean, if you look at fantasy, the last army book (not end times) they released was several months ago.  The End Times was just a big middle finger to the community and used as an excuse to close the book on fantasy.

In the last 2 months, how many codices have been released for 40k?  Skitarii, Mechanicus, Harlequins, Space Marines, Dark Angels...

Yeah, 40k is their money maker and I don't see them making this screwed up change with it any time soon.

I've boxed up my Fantasy stuff until the dust settles and the new Kings of War 2nd edition rulebook is released so I can try that system instead. I haven't been to my local GW since they replaced the good manager there and if I find local people playing the old Fantasy rulebook or a newer ruleset I'll happily switch.

I love my Night Gobbo/Black Orc army and my big Lizardmen army - I am in absolute shock at what GW has done to Fantasy. I've defended that company far too many times through far too many kneejerk decisions and I've frankly gotten tired of it. 40K went off the deep end by shoehorning fliers and ridiculously huge models on to 4x6 tables, now Fantasy has been neutered so it'll appeal to 12 year olds.

I wish I could sit down in a meeting and just listen to their management lay out Age of Sigmar's strategy. The rules about "dancing while rolling dice" and "bribing opponents" makes me think they seriously considered a rule like, "The first player to place a web order on our $4mil webstore wins the game automatically. If both players place web orders, the player with the larger order wins."

My LGS owner was showing me one of the new Sigmar troops, apparently he got one from someplace. The thing is freaking huge. About the size if not a bit bigger then a Space Marine Terminator.

They should be called "Sigmarines" from now on...

And this my friends is what happens when most your senior decisions are made by people totally out of touch with modern wargaming.

Its what happens when you do *zero* market research and scorn focus groups saying 'we're gamers, if we make stuff we like everyone else will like it too'

The problem being they forget that the few gamers among them are playing the game for free so destroying the fan base by ramping up model prices to over £3 for a plastic figure passed them buy...  because they get 'management samples' of whatever they want ( I know this because when i got my own department at GW in the 2003-2005 era i practically never paid for a model, paint, brushes etc etc.   If i didnt get free sprues of new stuff *months* before it went on sale i could pop up to the sculptors and blag it.

I understand the special rules are supposed to be fun but they do unwittingly make the game actually much harder if you are for example a wheelchair user or for whatever reason unable to caper around the gaming table.   I bet nobody even thought of that when they were chortling over their 'oh so funny' rules.

I mention the above as i took a spinal wound in the army in the 90s and i cant dance round a bloody table on a good day :)

I understand the special rules are supposed to be fun

Which is yet another thing GW has completely and utterly failed at. I like to have a laugh, make a joke or something when playing.

But these new rules they have are to be frank insulting. They scream We don't really care anymore!!! they're clearly trying to sell the 'we're just a model company' by making up nonsense rules that no one would ever actually use.

I think the special rules are meant to shame you for daring to use old models.

Latest reveal is their scenario book has a whole 8 in it and will cost £45, shouldn't be more than £15 for that really even in full colour.

I will grant them that the special abilities are freaking hilarious.

I don't think they are. I think they're childish, and insulting to anyone who plays the game. This isn't a 'games r serious' thing. These are the kinds of rules you see in party games, not something you should see in a game that people spend $1000's on.

I will grant them that the special abilities are freaking hilarious. In a casual environment over a few pints I would be howling, but at a tournament not so much.

Probably a good job Games Workshop has killed the Fantasy tournament scene stone dead, then

These special rules are so busy trying to be funny that they forgot to actually be funny. 

It reminds me of party games like Quelf, where they get so focused on being lolrandum that they don't realize that four people engaged in total nonsense because the rules said so isn't nearly as funny as it sounds.

I get why they did it, but I think they went a bit overboard. And I don't even think the core rules are the problem, even though those alone will piss off a lot of former players, but the rules for the old armies in the compendiums are just Bat-**** crazy

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums

Someone posted some of the main wacky ones on another forum, and I thought they were having a laugh, but they're actually in there

But now the wider rules are up, GW has got back its sense of humour?

Ok, so they can't write wargames rules for toffee. But check out some of the new AoS rules...

Kairos: once per game change a roll to a result of your choice.

Screaming Bell: Roll 2D6 on a chart of effects. On a 13 you win.

Screaming bell: roll two dice, cannot be modified in any way. If you roll a 13 you get:

Improbable Victory!: Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).

If Greasus Goldtooth uses this ability, select an enemy unit anywhere on the battlefield and choose one of the effects listed below:
- The unit cannot move in its next turn.
- The unit cannot move, attack or cast spells in its next turn.
- All models in the unit immediately flee.
- The unit changes sides and immediately comes under your control.
Then, offer your opponent a bribe (this can be anything you want to offer). If your opponent accepts your bribe, the chosen effect takes place – otherwise, nothing happens. Players are free to haggle over the offered bribe, or propose a counter-offer...

Mortarch of Night: If it is nighttime, or you cannot see the sun, you can add 1 to all hit and wound rolls for Gheistvor.

"Ancient Dignity:
Dragons are ancient and prideful creatures, and the Elves that ride them are no less haughty, but from such nobility and dignity stems an inner strength. If, during your entire hero phase, you can maintain a dignified (even arrogant) composure and not smile, smirk or laugh regardless of your opponent’s antics, you may re-roll all hit rolls of 1 made for models in a Dragon Host until your next hero phase"

The Endless Dance: If you are dancing while rolling the dice for the Masque’s attacks in the combat phase, you can reroll any failed hit rolls. If, at any point, you can coerce your opponent to join in, you can re-roll any failed wound rolls as well.

Lord of Forbidden Pleasure:
It is wise not to gaze long upon the splendour of a Lord of Slaanesh, lest terrible notions begin to form. If an enemy unit finishes its pile in move within 3" of a Lord of Slaanesh, you can tell your opponent that they are in danger of being beguiled. From that point on, if your opponent looks you in the eye before the unit has made its hit rolls for that combat phase, subtract 1 from any of those rolls which target this model.

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg’s skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent

Bloodwrack Stare: When making a Bloodwrack Stare attack, pick a visible unit within range and roll a dice for each model in that unit; for each roll of 6 or more that unit suffers a mortal wound as they foolishly meet the Medusa’s deadly gaze. You can add 1 to these dice rolls if, between the time you declare the target of the attack and time you roll the dice, your opponent looks you directly in the*eye.

"One Bat Short of a Belfry -
Konrad is a violent lunatic, and his temper does little to help his stretched sanity. If, during your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of 1 for him until your next hero phase. If Konrad von Carstein talks back to you, re-roll all failed hit rolls instead."

The Mad Count:
Marius Leitdorf is an
exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

Holy ****! Why not just change the name to Warhammer Unglued already? Seriously the first thing I thought after reading these rules was that GW hired the team that created the Magic the Gathering Unglued sets.

Actualy i don't really mind...

The rules are no good but know we'll get an update...

I kinda like the cheesy WTF setting...

The models are still great...

So all in all...

What's this?

aos-chaos-pantheon.jpg

Dafuq? where did Slaanesh go?

GW what are you doing? GW Stahp!

khaaan-o.gif

Ok that symbol better be Slaanesh ascendant or something, or I'm gonna take my warhammer to some GW designer's face. ;)

My LGS owner was showing me one of the new Sigmar troops, apparently he got one from someplace. The thing is freaking huge. About the size if not a bit bigger then a Space Marine Terminator.

They should be called "Sigmarines" from now on...

They can't. they already wear armor of "Sigmarite" Sigmarines wearing Sigmarite would be stupid no? LOL I take that back, it would fit right in!

"Sigmarite" can you believe it? I got no problem with rockrete and plasteel (wraith bone is only ok because it's space elf stuff) but sigmarite? Thats like a marine in armor made of Emperoranium!

I will grant them that the special abilities are freaking hilarious. In a casual environment over a few pints I would be howling, but at a tournament not so much.

I'd hate to be a tournament Judge for AoS...

Imagine two players with mustaches comming up to you with a rules argument over Kurt Helborg. Now you'll have to decide if the Hellborg player has a bigger and more impressive mustache than his opponent.

How do you even-gaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Dafuq? where did Slaanesh go?

Ok that symbol better be Slaanesh ascendant or something, or I'm gonna take my warhammer to some GW designer's face. ;)

Almost certainly not. there is apparently text in some book about Slannesh being captured and imprisoned (ala Isha in 40K) and very little mention otherwise.

GW almost certainly wants to phase out Slaanesh to make their brand more child friendly. Having a deity of sex, drugs and overindulgence wouldn't go over well in some circles.

My guess for that new symbol is that the Skaven deity, The Horned Rat (or whatever it is called) is getting upgraded and possibly will have beastmen folded into its portfolio.

My guess for that new symbol is that the Skaven deity, The Horned Rat (or whatever it is called) is getting upgraded and possibly will have beastmen folded into its portfolio.

There is also mention of it being malekith related.

Notice the head gear:

malekith_by_devburmak-d3iytfe.jpg