Sign in to follow this  
ishikabe

Is this game dying in your area?

Not around here! My FLGS hosted the Regional for the area, and in the greater metro there's probably a half-dozen stores that have regular nights for X-Wing. There's enough players in the Kansas City area that I could walk into any of those stores and find a pick-up game without too much trouble.

It's died down a little at the store I'm at with 40K tournaments being in full swing in my area (Store run). I'm planning out a X-wing tourney at the end of the month though, although most people have been playing at home, because ships keep disappearing off the shelves.

It died down a little after the Denver regional... but now at x-wing nights we have a whole new bunch of noobs.  I'd say at least 6 more now are playing that I never saw before the regional.  Some of the folks that are a little x-winged out after said regional went to playing imperial assault or Armada.  But Monday nights are now FFG Star wars nights!

We have one FLGs in my area, and we have a small but steady group, growing slowly. We're halfway through an eight-week tournament-style league, with each week having a different list requirement. We have eleven players and so far, everyone seems to be having fun. W40K, War Machine and Magic are also pretty big, but I have heard several of the GW players saying they'd really like to get into X-Wing, but just don't want to start another minis game. I think we'll win them over eventually.

It is the summer season post regionals. It is getting to the lull in the action. Right before Regionals X-wing kicks off and store tournaments and league nights are crowded. After regionals some people move on to other things like preparing for Gencon or even play, dare I say it, a different game.

It is still around. You will see it pick back up coming next year.

We was exploding until our game store closed due to management issues. LONG story.

Hopefully a local one will reopen soon. We have been doing a League to try and keep people playing at any place we can grab space. About 20 people in local League with option to travel about an hour away to play in game stores.

My area is huge, vibrant, and attracts many players.

In regards to X-wing, the two groups I play in at just one of our cities' great game stores seems to frequently attract new players, in addition to the regular lifers. There's a predictable amount of attrition; people unloading collections here and there, but nothing I would call widespread abandonment. Some are delving into Armada (as I did briefly, before deciding it was a beautiful game but not my speed) as well as Imperial Assault, but still fly with us occasionally.

I could see the game turnout dying down in towns with a smaller player base, as with anything; but in PDX it remains easy to find a pickup game or regularly scheduled store turnout.

It was, but post Regionals me and the 4 guys who attended were Pancaked out.    So we asked the store owner to have a night where no PWT (Primary Weapon Ships) were allowed.     We had a really good time.   It was fun seeing people who were not used to actually maneuvering land on rocks and even one flew off the board.   It was like the game was intended to be.       I even got to fly a swarm again.

Outmaneuvering your opponent for the battle.

Edited by eagletsi111

Not even close. We're at the point where demand for tourneys far exceeds supply. The next round of store championships will be just silly crowded. I think we're quickly coming to the point that the only way to keep SC's from getting too large will be to make sure multiple stores in an area schedule them on the same day.

I've been thinking about this recently on the heels of the Worlds debacle and I think they might need to overhaul the system given how the game continues to grow with no signs of slowing down.

The GSC's we have now replaced the old Regionals as the game grew. Stores apply for GSC's now and are unprepared to handle the turnout they get. A handful of last year's Regionals had high turnouts but most seemed like they were in the high 20's and 30's. I was at the Milwaukee area Regional last year and it was pretty exciting to end up with around 50 participants. This year they sold out at over 100 players at least a week before the event. I know the Raleigh Regional sold out in advance at like 96 participants as well. I'm sure many others have sold out in advance and at higher numbers as well.

The decision to cap X-Wing at 256 or whatever it was for Worlds was a huge disappointment and seems like a strong miscalculation.

With Episode 7 due out in December and the likely addition of ships from that film to this game the player base is only going to grow even further.

Hopefully they can develop a plan to continue to foster the growth of competitive play. I think they will need to do something.

I was playing back in Wave 1 and 2 and had gotten about 6 regular players at my store.  Most people live south of Charlotte, NC, but the good game store (and myself) live on the north side.  When a store opened on the south side, it killed the scene up near me and I had to go to other games for a bit.  Eventually, though, the X-wing scene picked up again about last Fall.  I started playing again and it's been growing slowly, but surely.  

Right before the start of summer, we had 8 tables going in the back of the store each week.  Summer has started and the past few weeks have had about half that number, but I think it's mostly summer.  We are pulling in a few guys at the same time, as well.  There are also a few other game stores that have regular nights, but nothing crazy due to the spread out nature of the players.  Local Facebook group has 97 people and only 1 looking to sell stuff in the past 2 months. 

Since Regionals ended, we have been doing some epic games and having a blast.  Next week should be another Epic game as we fine tune my Space Station rules.  People have been wanting to do the Trench Run again.  That one always draws a crowd.

We don't live near Gencon, but Historicon draws some people and that will be happening soon.  All the other events are way out in the Mid-West and something we just read about online.  Summer pulls away some players, but draws others in. 

I'll be out for a few weeks due to surgery and wonder what the scene will be like when I get back.  It will be right around when a couple others go to Historicon, so I hope it doesn't die out. 

A few people come up for Armada, but they are having a harder time with it.

A few people come up for Armada, but they are having a harder time with it.

This is what I feared a little when they decided to kick out 3 games all similiar but played very differently. I have no interest in Imperial Assault and I find the models for Armada amazing but prefer the X wing style of play. I truly hope they didn't expect people to buy into all 3 because that would be foolishly optimistic and greedy. I know they are all unique games but if you see a bunch of guys playing in the neighbors yard it doesn't matter if you have the deluxe roller coaster if they are all buds and don't like roller coasters. I hope Armada doesn't die out as it is so young but I feel FFG has greatly over estimated the ability of most players to invest in more than 1 title. Maybe they are hoping to snag ex-warhammer people who are used to dropping huge bank. I know for me X wing with occassional Dice Master padding is absolutely my ceiling for a game budget. I wish Imperial Assault and Armada players all luck and may they find their battles and their glory.

Edited by LordFajubi

The X-Wing scene in my and my neighbor's basements has been a little slow lately, but I chalk it up to summer vacations and such. I expect it to pick up when I bring new ships home from GenCon and when the sun sets earlier so our kids go to sleep at an X-Wing appropriate hour. I can't say much about the X-Wing community outside of that.

From what I've seen about Armada, I think I'd like it better than X-wing, but I'm already a few hundred dollars into this game.  I just don't have the spare $200 to get Armada...unless I sell off some other game stuff I have.  Even then, it will be hard to find the right time to play Armada.  I'm married with kids and only get so much tim to do these things.  Same with my friends. 

We never had a huge xwing base in my area (small province eastern Canada, Pei)

Mostly myself and two friends who play.

We started around Feb 2014.

Last September we started getting xwing Thursday nights at a store which just opened.

We were having good turnout for our area. Getting 6 players a night.

Had our first tournament and store was full 12 players.

Things were going great.

Had another tournament, only 8, not bad...only to never be seen again.

Not too sure what happened

Everyone just disappeared. Some who were invested into xwing since release disappeared.

So our Thursday night xwing was just me and usually one other player.

Then armada came.

So when I'd go in for xwing Thursday night, people were playing armada, and no xwing games, and trading/selling xwing stuff (keeping builds they like)

I know in other province numbers have dropped slightly, bit can't speak for all stores.

Could be due to summer time and being worn from regionals, but even across to the mainland seems like armada has split the community, slightly, but that could be temporary, or just until fall.

But as for the area I'm at, never had a big community like I said, but ya, we lost our group.

Everyone was so excited and enthusiastic just before wave 6 came and then nothing.

Armada I don't think helped

Players were in love with xwing, (and very vocal about it) but after armada dropped seems armada is the game they enjoy more. (although two very different games and price point) actually kind of surprise how well armada did sell

Ive played armada a few times.

Honestly I didn't like it as much, but we played on a 3x3 area, and that doesn't work.

Finally had a game on a 6x3 and it played much better

But even so I prefer xwing

It's just quicker and easier to get into.

The rules are little more simplified and can usually get a game in an hour for xwing.

Armada takes longer to play and set up, but there is also that price point, and time.

At least we have vassal though. Gives us with 0 community at least some new players to play against

Edited by Krynn007

The X-Wing scene in my and my neighbor's basements has been a little slow lately, but I chalk it up to summer vacations and such. I expect it to pick up when I bring new ships home from GenCon and when the sun sets earlier so our kids go to sleep at an X-Wing appropriate hour. I can't say much about the X-Wing community outside of that.

sounds a whole lot like my xwing scene.

I'm from the Western New York (Buffalo) area and we have been pretty steady.  Since about May I have seen a decrease of new people coming out to our weekly get together.  Tournaments have been all over the place.  We do one a month at my LGS and we have had between 4-16 people turn out.  We had one yesterday and 10 guys showed so that was a welcome surprise.  I think everything slows during the summer months and will pick up some when fall roles around.  Fly casual out there.  

My LGS usually has a thursday night X-Wing gathering.  Right now, Regionals is throwing things a bit off, but we still have a fairly dedicated group.  I've actually been seeing, what seems like, to be a net gain of 0...lost a few regulars, but they're being replaced with some new faces.  

What does seem to be happening, though, is a growing sentiment of "deathmatch fatigue."  Some of the players are getting tired of the 100pt format and are looking for more scenario/epic play opportunities.  That, and we're all finding it difficult to excitement over the new ships.  

No. It's growing here. ~30 people a week at our local League. Up from the low 20s of last year.

It would be nice to get the raider or Wave 7 out though, Meta is getting a bit stale.

I've only just started playing in the last six months - but it seems to be vibrant enough out where I am (Mid-Canada). Population base isn't all that high - but, you can expect one or two dozen people for any given store event, and more if the event is more significant.  From what I gather, it's slowly growing.