Sign in to follow this  
Virani

New packaging?

I just received The Wastes of Eriador, Encounter at Amon Din & The Druaden Forest, but they are in different packages than the other adventure packs I have.

Is this a new way of packaging or have there always been different styles and have I been lucky so far?

I really prefer the cardboard packaging over these plastic blisters, which are impossible to keep in decent condition.. 

It's only from now on. Wastes of Eriador and all following APs will be packaged like this, as well as reprints of older scenarios. I haven't received my WoE yet, so I'll reserve judgement.

They recently switched to this new plastic packaging, though they didn't explain why. I assume it has something to do with cost and possibly because the plastic won't be busted as easily in transport. I don't know for sure though.

Wow. That is a very big disappointment for me.. 

One of the things I appreciated very much from FFG was their consistency, but this is a big letdown.

I have the adventure packs I have yet to play standing all together, and it looks really good together.

But now there are some plastic packs in the middle, which don't fit with the rest. 

Not even mentioning the fact I now have to cut or use a scissor to open a package of cards, that doesn't feel very comforting. 

:(

If that was the intention, it worked. I think the plastic held up much better. Seemed like an awful lot of my cards had a bend in them, but the cards from the Wastes really looked nice coming out of the packaging. I know some people are resistant because they don't look as nice and all of that, but they do what packaging is supposed to do much better in my opinion. 

Well, at least that's good to know.

I also play X-Wing and to open some of those blisters, you have to get seriously aggressive.

But my disappointment about the sudden change still remains.  :mellow:

Just got mine today, and I have to say that I kind of like the new packaging, though I am indifferent because all I care about are the cards

Same here. I download all of the inserts from the LOTR LCG Support page and have them on my phone and iPad. I throw away everything but the cards. If the new packaging was not sturdy, led to damaged cards, etc., then I would be annoyed. But, as far as I can tell, the new packaging seems comparably durable to the old stuff. 

If it keeps cost downs I'm happy with it. Or rather if it keeps costs from going up I'm happy with it. I was a little upset that the paper for the cover is very thin, so really it's just trash to me as opposed to the other APs that I hope to turn into a collage or something down the road.

I'm okay with the new packaging all things considered. And thankfully they are quite easy to open.

I thought I was going to hate the new packaging, but it really didn't bother me at all.  If I kept the boxes I would be annoyed, but since I don't the new packaging doesn't make any difference.  I was worried they would be difficult to open, but it was quite easy.

The true cost is in the research.  The packaging is minimal.  I would have rather they raised the price 50 cents.

good point and i would agree. its probably not that much saving when compared to research n development.

50 cents more for packaging that doesn't perform it's only real function as well? Suffice it to say I'm glad that's not the route they've gone with.

Right? I liked the cardboard for some things, but it didn't hold the cards in place very well.