Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

some tips ?

I specifically didn't say "ask if anyone is playing Edge of the Empire".  That is too easy for them to say "No".  You are wanting to find people interested in the same thing you are.  Right now they don't know if you are George McFly or Sweeney Todd.  Show interest in what they are doing for the following reasons: 1) They are interested in Star Wars 2) They are playing a Co-Op game style instead of PvP 3) They are almost roleplaying with Imperial Assault 4) Imperial Assault is still very new

Yes, it might take a bit of time investment on your part, but you are likely to pick up one or two players in the next few months that would like to take it to the next step.  If you get buy-in, you win.  If you don't, you made some friends that share very similar interests and now that they know you they might recommend someone they know that might be interested in a Star Wars roleplaying game.  

You could also force the situation.

1. Find a store you like.
  2. Pick a time you would like to play.
  3. Go to the store at that time weekly/bi-weekly/whatever
  4. Setup the beginner game materials assuming other people will join.
  5. Explain to the people that ask what the game is like.
  6. Play the game with the people that are interested.
  7. Rinse
  8. Repeat

This is basically the Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come" method.

Sometimes if you ask "hey is anyone interested?" you get a no.

But  if someone thinks you are already having fun that they could get to be a part of... then they feel left out if they don't ask what the fun is all about.

This is a way to draw a group of people without asking even.

Edit: added movie reference.

Edited by GM Knowledge Rhino

ahah thanks guys , but people there already play other games and they dont sell the beginner pack .. besides,  i dont know how to play and they probably dont know too remember ? how could someone GM and how could we play when no one ever played it :\

What about this.

You get with a GM here.

They run you through the beginner box

You then go to amazon/miniature market/wherever and buy a beginner box online.

You take that box to your game store.

You lay out the materials.

You talk to anyone that asks what it is.

You play with them

You gain new friends and a group to game with

rinse

repeat

?

Heck if nobody else will, and you are available on weekends I could probably come up with the time to run you through a beginner box via roll20. At least then you will know if it is worth your time to bother going through the effort finding people.

Unfortunately at this point you will need some effort as gaming groups don't just fall into your lap (though that might hurt if they did).

ahah thanks guys , but people there already play other games and they dont sell the beginner pack .. besides,  i dont know how to play and they probably dont know too remember ? how could someone GM and how could we play when no one ever played it :\

If they don't sell the beginner box, order it online.  It helps to read through it before playing (especially with strangers), but honestly, it really isn't that essential.  If you were playing with friends, I would say just wing it straight out of the box... it's that good.  If you are playing with strangers, go ahead and read through it so you can find the option they are choosing without reading all of them.  Understanding the dice is simpler than you would think.  It will show you success or failure and then you have potential for adding advantages, threats, triumphs and despair (the last two being of the more rare variety). Part of the fun is the players get to choose the advantages and triumphs (which really gets creative over time) and the GM gets to handle the threat and despair.  With the folio sheets, it is very easy for new players to see what dice they will use to build their dice pool (and the booklet tells you what you will add to it to complicate things for them).  In very short order, you will have confidence as a GM.  

It is a great introduction, moves along like a movie scene and provides you all the tools you need to handle it.  You can then proceed into "The Long Arm of the Hutt" that can be downloaded from FFG and continue the story.  Soon you will want to craft your own adventures or see about some of the longer ones.  If you don't own the core rulebook, you will want it either way (there is a lot of information here).  Try to stick to cinematic sequences over nitpicky realism and everyone will have fun and feel like they are engaged with the Star Wars they have seen and loved.

I was game mistress for the beginner box. None of us had played the system before and I had never been GM of anything before. It turned out well - refer to signature OP site for details.

Stand tall and do a thing - no more negativity. Acquire the BB by some means and solicit the players of other games at your FLGS at once. 

Whatever happens with that you should take a look at online play as a player - Rhino is asking for players for several games.

I love to write stories so being a GM is awesome. Also my offline friends don't do much during the week.

In order to make a beginner box via roll20 awesome, I am going to read it over a few times (which would you like? I currently have the AoR and Edge ones, but it might be worthwhile of an excuse to pick up the FaD one).

After I make sure I don't hinder the play with my normal game style, I will put a post up for players for a beginner box run through and you will get priority. =)

Since the games are basically the same ( only a change or two , from what i saw ) you could run anything . i never tried or played anything in roll20 but i would like to try if u manage to teach me :)

I will setup the Edge one then. it may take a few days so likely the earliest will be next sunday for a playthrough unless you are west coast I might be able to do Thursday evening.

I have filled in the Player Characters and the maps. I need to fill in the NPCs and then rehearse to make sure I don't stumble over words and it should be good to go.

Anyone that wants to try with me being a bit rough, I might be able to figure a time this weekend. Anyone that wants more polish, next Sunday seems best.

Edit: Updated progress

Edited by GM Knowledge Rhino

All maps are loaded, all NPCs are loaded. Just trying to read up on the dialog and choices now. I should be able to try a group this weekend.

As for when, I am doing this so YOU learn how awesome this system in. YOU had trouble finding people to play with. So pick a time that is reasonable for people to be awake for this weekend and we will see what we can make happen. As a note, I am UTC - 8.