Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

some tips ?

Hi ,

So if i buy this can someone give me some tips for playing alone ?  like how you guys manage to play ? i always had interest in playing this but i dont know anyone that want to and never played any kind of thing so any tip would be welcomed :)

There are online play by post games.  Online games using various RPG tabletop software.  If you Google search around or sometimes people even post games here.  If you've got a good local game store popping in there and asking can lead to being connected with play groups.

I've said it more than once, but I've had a lot of luck with meetup.com

Meetup can be good for organizing events without a player base. The down side, at least here north of the Wall is that meetup is a pay service if you want to actually post an event. Attending existing events and canvasing for players or joining games is good, though.

If you have a player base long distance, maptools, roll20, and other GUI programs can help bring everyone together. I hear people even play in Google Hangouts!

Also try your Friendly Local Game Stores. Check around the miniatures games for X-Wing, Imperial Assault, and Star Wars Armada - those people might be interested in playing or already have a game you can join.

As someone currently the GM of an online game, recruiting for those can be... interesting and the people you get will be spotty on if they are consistent. I think I have replaced the pilot 3 times and the healer once in just 11 sessions.

I want to run another game (or two!), but I dread the recruiting processes.

Roll20 is great for getting people (at least as a GM I just post a recruit thread and usually get a response within 1-3 hours). Also www.reddit.com/r/lfg works well, but the response time is slower.

Edited by GM Knowledge Rhino

the problem of that "online" meeting is the time zone and of course the language  . English is not my native language. Besides , i never played any of this and you talk about something people are used to and already know what to do and play..

the only local store of this only play imperial assault in co-op and never played anything of edge of empire , so i dont think i will be luck there

thanks anyway

the problem of that "online" meeting is the time zone and of course the language  . English is not my native language. Besides , i never played any of this and you talk about something people are used to and already know what to do and play..

the only local store of this only play imperial assault in co-op and never played anything of edge of empire , so i dont think i will be luck there

thanks anyway

Good luck with this. By far the best way is to play in person and find some people around your area who would like to. There will be such people - you just have to advertise and find them. They don't know about you, either!

Don't worry about running the game. Once you get the hang of it, it's surprisingly easy. The main thing is read through the basic rules to get the hang of it and maybe try out a few combats by yourself to make sure you understand it all. The book contains a starting adventure you can use - read it a couple of times so you know who all the characters are, and then just have fun. If you forget a rule or it's taking too long to find it in the game, just make something up in the meantime that is fair. You're the GM so you run things and the important thing is to keep the game moving and entertaining.

Post here any time you want friendly advice! RPGs are lots of fun and a good way to make friends.

I have to say I really feel sorry for the OP... sitting round a table, with like minded people who 1) love rpgs and 2) love SW has given me most of my memorable RPing moments,,,, the cliches, the dropped in script quotes 'look Sir! Droids. 'You've never heard of (insert ship name)? It did the (insert trade route) in less than (insert time)! paraphrasing the films etc...

To the OP: I sincerely hope you find a table group to play with.. Google gaming shops and leave an advert if possibe ;)

thanks i would really like it because i love Star Wars and this RPG seems fun.. i dont know how to GM , i dont even know if the game has a story or if GM creates one and i can love Star Wars and know somethings about it , but im not that good at the universe of Star Wars to create and elaborate a RPG :S 

Personally, I've always found the best way to learn/GM a new rules system is to find someone gracious enough to be GMing one.

and 2) Thank God for forums these days, back when I started all we had was a 'Letters' page in magazines or word of mouth at the RPG club

Edited by DidntFallAsleep66

The boxed beginner's set do a good step by step process of teaching players and GMs, and they have a story set out for you.

It is true, the BB is pretty handy. You also get all dice and stuff. 

Running the BB for my players, I honestly thought it was going to be a one-time event. I had never been game mistress before and had no intention to make some ongoing campaign. We play board games some weekends and I thought this would be a fun entry. 

Beginner's Box is a gateway drug.

^uh ? what ? o.o i dont know if u say to pick it up or no...

Don't fight it if you like it. ^__^

I do recommend the Beginner's Box, yes. You get to try it out without the pressure of needing to create an entire campaign and if you don't dig the system or can't find ongoing players you have not spent too much money buying all the books!

nop , my city may have star wars fans , but i dont see any interested in this game . my city only has 1 store that plays RPG and other board / tcg games and i never saw edge of empire or age of rebellion being played there.

Does your local gaming store have bulliten boards for people looking for groups to play in? If so post a pamphlet with the following header...

Star_wars_logo.gif

You'll have already gotten the attention of anyone who might be interested. After that you just need to hold their attention and get their curiosity.

^uh ? what ? o.o i dont know if u say to pick it up or no...

Don't fight it if you like it. ^__^

I do recommend the Beginner's Box, yes. You get to try it out without the pressure of needing to create an entire campaign and if you don't dig the system or can't find ongoing players you have not spent too much money buying all the books!

Gotta echo this. Minimal investment, lots of attractive goodies, and it will train you how to run (or play) the game. Then if you decide to get into the rpg proper, you've already got your dice and Destiny tokens!

nop , my city may have star wars fans , but i dont see any interested in this game . my city only has 1 store that plays RPG and other board / tcg games and i never saw edge of empire or age of rebellion being played there.

what i meant was that you should post here where you live and that you are looking for people to play with. you never know... :)

Actually, these may be exactly some of the players you are looking for.  Imperial Assault in Co-Op is definitely not the PvP group, so that is a bonus for RPG players.  Ask if you could just watch their game sometime.  Get to know them a bit.  Maybe ask if you could join them (you wouldn't need many figures if they are hosting the game).  Figure out who is likely to mesh with you and if they have available time. Then ask if the ones you think would be interested if they had ever considered playing the RPG as smugglers, bounty hunters or the like?  If you get any interest, you definitely want to run the Beginner's Box... it makes it easier on everyone to start with, has a good mix of Star Wars style events and gets you off to a great start.  Heck, if they have enough painted Imperial Assault figures, have them bring them and do rough approximations of encounters (I've thought about it, but I still have nearly 200 zombies to paint for my wife's Zombicide addiction before I could get around to them).

Edited by Grayfax

I have to say I really feel sorry for the OP... sitting round a table, with like minded people who 1) love rpgs and 2) love SW has given me most of my memorable RPing moments,,,, the cliches, the dropped in script quotes 'look Sir! Droids. 'You've never heard of (insert ship name)? It did the (insert trade route) in less than (insert time)! paraphrasing the films etc...

To the OP: I sincerely hope you find a table group to play with.. Google gaming shops and leave an advert if possibe ;)

and playing:

the opening score each time the GM recaps last session

soundbites created on Audacity

soundbites for combat, wookies, droids, ships and swoops

we'll get bored eventually... but not yet :lol:

Edited by ExpandingUniverse